Tips for my band’s first recording session…

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for my band’s first recording session…

Tomaz24
07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
In about two weeks my funk band will be using a professional recording studio for the first time. I’m really excited and I can’t wait! But I was just wondering if there any tips or useful bits of information any of you could give us because we’re quite inexperienced.

We’re writing an album and currently have a set of eight or nine tracks that could easily be recorded straight away without much fuss. Then there’s seven or eight more we’ll be working on and will record in a session later this year.

Any tips to make it run smoothly? Anything to avoid? Ect.

Thanks, :)

jim_smith
07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
1)Have an input list and send a copy to the engineer
ex.
1 Kick Drum
2 Snare
3 Right Overhead
4 Left Overhead
5 Bass
6 Guitar
etc.

it will save you time and money and save the engineer alot of frustration

2)Most likely you will record it live for the most part so have a stage plot available drawing up how your band sets up in practice and on stage. Set up as close as you can to that when your recording and have a copy available for the engineer.

3) For guitar cabinets each speaker has a slightly different sound, if you can know exactly where you want the mic placed in front of the cabinet

4)Most importantly:
Have a tuner!!!!! Make sure everyone tunes to the same calibration (440 is standard) but if you have an acoustic piano then calibrate the tuner to that.

5) Dont forget the small stuff: guitar picks, cables etc

6)Be nice to the engineer, he'll make or break your recording
Thats all i can think of right now Good luck!

floyd matt
07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
^ he just said it all.

bring extra stuff because you never know what can happen. how many hours you got in the recording studio?

Forcemaster
07-06-2007, 06:54 AM
jim_smith made some excellent points but i'll just add a few more.

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want!

Remember the engineer is working for you, and if you don't like the sound of something say so and see if you can rectify it. Obviously don't go overboard and request something ridiculous like demanding the mixed tone of 5 cranked boutique amps. But if the kick drum is too loud don't be hesitant in asking him to mix it down.

Listen to the engineer

Seems like the opposite of the first point but you have to also remember that the engineer will most likely have years of experience so it may well be in your best interests to listen to any suggestions he has.

Make sure you have good gear

It may be a bit late for this now, but i'll still put it.
If you turn up to the studio with marshall MG's, Line 6 Spiders, Fender FM's, or any other cheap amps. You won't be able to get that great a sound no matter what you do with it.

Don't expect everything to go perfectly

Don't think you'll be able to run through every song first time round and get it perfect. It's very unlikely you'll be able to do that. Book time for it, and also leave adequate time for mixing, a good mix can be the difference between a pro quality recording and an amateur sounding polished turd.

Have input into mixing

it is imperative that you pay attention during the mixing stage. I know it's boring sitting around while the engineer listens to a 10 second clip for half an hour and tweaks a few knobs. But you have to pay attention o what you want out of the sound, if you don't you will probably end up with a sound you don't like at all.

Tomaz24
07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Seems like excellent advice! Thanks a lot!

This session we have 10 hours, floyd matt. :)

floyd matt
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
^

dang alot of hours lol.

how much is it costing a hour because here in vegas it is 50 dollers to 125 dollers a hour.

OpposingForce
07-07-2007, 02:22 PM
So what happens if you don't finish recording and mixing the cd in one day? If you pay for another day they can continue where you left off right?

DoctrDrew116
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Listen to what the engineer says. And be careful about any contracts you sign.

Tomaz24
07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
So what happens if you don't finish recording and mixing the cd in one day? If you pay for another day they can continue where you left off right?

Yeah, don't intend on finishing the recordings until later this year. We'll book a few more sessions yet, I would think. It's £23 an hour here.

Forcemaster
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, don't intend on finishing the recordings until later this year. We'll book a few more sessions yet, I would think. It's £23 an hour here.

£23 an hour?! that seems a bit much, for ten hours i've paid £15 an hour as a general cost. I'd see if you can get the price down or look somewhere else.