Blues song that speaks

PDA

View Full Version : Blues song that speaks

Metalocalypse54
07-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I was looking to start playing some blues and what I really like in terms of blues is the guitar being able to speak with emotion. I've been playing for a year and a half and I have almost no experience in blues(I played around with pieces of Gravity by John Mayer). What songs would you guys suggest?

Kaervek
07-08-2007, 01:01 AM
tupelo - john lee hooker

actually any john lee hooker song should do it

winterXsolstice
07-08-2007, 01:18 AM
make your own, for blues thats the best thing to do. stick with box shapes and pentatonics

Encore_God
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
The guitar speaking with emotion? Try B.B. King's song 'Lucille'... the whole song is a call and response conversation, with B.B. and Lucille 'talking'. Always cool.

Also, some of the newer John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers material features the amazing Mr Buddy Whittington, whose guitar skill is such that it sounds like a voice.

Finally, don't be afraid to investigate some blues harmonica stuff... Sonny Boy Williamson and Little Walter and people... their harmonica lines are great to learn on guitar to help improve your feel for the instrument.

Good luck!

Dr. No
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I'll Play the Blues For You - Albert King

aetherspear
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Don't answer the door-B.B. King and Leave My girl alone-Buddy Guy are the most chill blues songs ever.

Falcatarius
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want classic "call and response" style stuff then check out any of the original electric bluesmen. Especially B.B. King and Albert Collin.

If you actually want something like having a "conversation" with the guitar then check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3_FxS4eEY

And if you want something were guitar actually plays identical notes to what the singer is singing then check out some of Hendrix's stuff. Especially...
-Gypsy Eyes
-Hear my Train a Comin' (see link for acoustic version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9O-VdrZ0E
-Voodoo Chile Blues

Cheers
-Falcatarius

gibson_lover_ga
07-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Lennie, Tightrope, Little Wing, and Life by the Drop by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Pretty much anything off Time will Tell by Robert Cray....

There's a lot.

Friedmaniac
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Dark was the night- Blind Willie Johnson. That song moves me to tears everytime i hear it, and it doesn't even have lyrics.