Agh, Quick Question.

PDA

View Full Version : Agh, Quick Question.

QuiatFat
07-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Okay, we're getting ready for our 2nd gig ever (minus talent shows) on Saturday, and the band we're opening for just got in contact with us. Now we assumed we'd be getting something like a 4-5 song set cause were just opening, and that's perfect cause we're rather new and only have 4-5 songs.

The problem is, they told us that our set is 45 minutes to an 1 hour. We don't have an hour of material. We tallied all our songs together plus covers and it came out to 38 minutes.

So is it bad that our set will be shorter then they want it to be? And if you got some suggestions on what we can do, that'd be great. We only have two days to practice this week as well, so it'll be hard to like learn a completely new song.

Thanks.

basketcase23
07-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Just push the time you play back about 10-15 minutes, then play your stuff. That way you fill the time they need you to, and they still play at the original time.

Guitarplaymetal
07-09-2007, 01:05 AM
add more covers, and entertain during your breaks.
keep the fans entertained.
come up with a little gimick or something.

worked for one my old bands.
might work for you.

marckyvengeance
07-09-2007, 01:05 AM
set up time? introductions? random rambling?

horatiogates
07-09-2007, 01:11 AM
stretch. fake a technical difficulty. snap a string on purpose or something.

Dozza
07-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Yeah... but pick it up by the strings... and like throw it but whilst your still holding the strings.

JackFlash19
07-09-2007, 06:08 AM
stretch. fake a technical difficulty. snap a string on purpose or something.

...yea, that will make you look good :rolleyes:

Retro Rocker
07-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Just lean your guitar against a wall then casually apply excessive pressure to the neck joint (aka, boot the fucker in two), thus creating a rather inconvenient technical difficulty.

timeforheroes
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
that's quite technical. sorta. jsut learn a few acoustic songs fast and play them at the start and then bring your band on. just 2 or 3 will stretch your time enough to about 45 mins.

Freunleven
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Two words: Bass solo.

Wait! Make that three words: Extended bass solo! :satan:

bodomfan525
07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
One word: Freebird
It's as long as you want it to be!

lolmnt
07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
you can jam on some of your songs, extend them. you probally forgot to add in talking between songs too. you are probally have enough material to fill your time

Tubyboulin
07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Get your Lead Guitarist do do some Soloey improv between songs every so often, and maby near the end of your set get your singer to say the names of each band member and have em do a little solo on there given instrument, and for the lead guitar improv, get him to do a little call and receive stuff with the crowd.

jazz_rock_feel
07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Get greedy with solos. This recent gig we had (albeit a jazz gig) was 30 minutes of song in an 1 hour 15 minute set. 45 minutes of soloing. You only need about 7 minutes. If every song you extended the solo by 2 minutes your GOLDEN! No problems.

Retro Rocker
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Get greedy with solos. This recent gig we had (albeit a jazz gig) was 30 minutes of song in an 1 hour 15 minute set. 45 minutes of soloing. You only need about 7 minutes. If every song you extended the solo by 2 minutes your GOLDEN! No problems.
I dunno. Unless you're REALLY good a 2 minute+ solo will bore people.

I agree with adding some acoustic songs. Sweet Home Alabama is an excellent one to let the crowd sing along.

bodomfan666
07-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I dunno. Unless you're REALLY good a 2 minute+ solo will bore people.

I agree with adding some acoustic songs. Sweet Home Alabama is an excellent one to let the crowd sing along.

yeah but can you imagine a load of black metal guys doing that?.. actualy i can :haha

Amalgam
07-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Two words: Bass solo.

Wait! Make that three words: Extended bass solo! :satan:

Agreed.

Me and my band couldn't figure out how to get a few extra minutes to fill a set, so me and my drummer got a beautiful idea, and took the weird part in the middle of White Unicorn by Wolfmother and turned it into a bass solo and drum solo.

It was rocking for, like, two or three extra minutes, which was all we needed.