Talent Show

PDA

View Full Version : Talent Show

shredzilla
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Our school has a talent show every year. This year some of my friends and I are looking to enter, but we are having a hard time choosing a song that we would like to play and is appropriate in a school setting. We came up with a list of songs that we would like to do but we are open to suggestions.

Lucretia - Megadeth
Aces High - Iron Maiden
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
The Ocean - Led Zeppelin
Hallowed be thy Name - Iron Maiden
Holy Wars / Punishment Due - Megadeth
Trust - Megadeth
Kissing the Shadows - Children of Bodom
Sanitarium - Metallica
Ride the Lightning - Metallica
Paranoid - Ozzy

We would really like to do a Children of Bodom song but most of them are not a appropriate in a school setting. We really can't really get away with anything either because our school checks the songs before hand and at the talent show they make you play though a mixer so if you do anything that isn't planned they can cut you off. So suggestions would be welcome and maybe later once I have a bigger list I'll put up a poll.

imnotcommunist
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
ride the lightning
and
run to the hills

CrazehSteve
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I say Run To The Hills :)

C_Turton
07-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd go for Holy Wars - assuming you're up to the challenge.

E V H 5150
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Um, a good song to play in school would be...

Hot for Teacher! I'd love to see the reactions on their faces! Or Smokin' in the Boys' Room.

But off of the list... I rather like Run to the Hills. It's a great song, and it has some historical content. Forgot exactly what, but I know it has to do with a massacre of Native Americans. Not to glorify their death, but about their fear and stuff, and the humanity (or lack thereof) of it.

shredzilla
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
One of my friends suggested hot for teacher but there aren't any hot teachers in our school and they would never let us play it.

Suggestions are welcome too.

Chevylegend454
07-09-2007, 08:12 PM
All Along The Watchtower,Voodo Chile
I dont know about the drummer but Id do that

Rocket Queen,Sweet Child...Cheap Sunglasses,Mr. Crowley,Perry Mason

Where Eagles Dare,Something BLS

:p: The Other Guitarist in this Band

Slash Jr.
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Off of that list, I would choose Run to the Hills.

But definately consider some Motley Crue dude, alot of their stuff would go down awesome in any setting.

n0m0ret3ars
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
"The Trooper" or "Fade to Black" \../ ('>') \../

Chevylegend454
07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
"The Trooper" or "Fade to Black" \../ ('>') \../

as much as I and the other memebers of this band would love to play those we have to appeal to the school censorship nazis

so pretty much if it has any swearing (even though we are all highschoolers who have been going to public school all our careers)

apperntly it isnt as bad as before (where you couldn't even wear a tool shirt since they sang about bad stuff)
but you still can't wear a hooters shirt,Budwiser shirt or shirts with vuglar sayings on them.

WhereArtEsteban
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Run to the Hills and The Ocean

The Ocean is like the grooviest song ever!

sloppy sandwich
07-14-2007, 09:36 AM
master of puppets by metallica
fade to black by metallica

DigUpHerBones
07-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Smoking in the Boys Room would be good... but off the list Holy Wars if you can do it well.

Spamwise
07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
kickstart my heart by motley crue woulld be good I think..you'd have to edit a few of the words but still. maybe welcome to the jungle by GNR.

MattPerson911
07-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Ace of Spades by Motorhead would be a good choice. It's well known and an awesome song. If you r gonna use one from your list, go with Holy Wars. Also maybe the Trooper by Iron Maiden or Gears of War by Megadeth

bodomfan666
07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
kissing the shadows if you can pull off the solo?

spartan 118
07-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Hallowed be thy name, but do another Maiden song as well, like Fear of the Dark, or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Ang 'n' Mal
07-15-2007, 03:56 PM
the ocean.......zeppelin is classic and ur teachers will enjoy it cuz tht was wat kids were into wen THEY were kids.....defently THE OCEAN.....and tht song kicks ass too

frustrat62
07-15-2007, 11:50 PM
run to the hills

claptonfan55
07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Paranoid would be cool at a talent show.

AngusX
07-17-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm going to say something here, I don't mean to offend saying this, but you won't get anywhere with your list of songs. Trust me, we had a band at our school play at an annual assembly where bands get about 20 mins to play school appropriate songs. They played songs such as the ones you suggested, I believe their setlist was For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sweating Bullets, and Paranoid. When they played they had a grand total of about 10 people at all interested, they were pretty tight musically, its just that those songs are not very popular, at least not to a majority of high-school aged kids.

Your better bets are more classic rock/80's tunes, anything that is really fun, and not serious is really what you need to play.

You've got to focus on big hitter type of songs, most anything by AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith will get a good reception. GNR, Van Halen, later Motley Crue, Nickelback (probably not your style), Creed (again...), work well.

I'd stay away from most Ozzy tunes, Crazy Train and Bark at the Moon go well, but the rest isn't so well recieved, some Black Album stuff may go over well, but most Metallica is out, Megadeth, other than No More Mr. Nice Guy, won't go over so great.

Children of the Bodom is going to get about as good of a reception as Charles Manson with a 12-guage.

Most people just don't really respond to heavy music.

A good set-list (in my opinion) would be

You Really Got Me Now -Van Halen
Thunderstruck -AC/DC
Next 2 You -Buckcherry
Rock 'N Roll -Led Zeppelin
Sweet Emotion/Dream On/Walk This Way -Aerosmith (you choose)
Cat Scratch Fever -Ted Nugent
Ballroom Blitz -Sweet (or Krokus, your choice)
No More Mr. Nice Guy -Megadeth (actually Alice Cooper, but...)
School's Out -Alice Cooper

Lotsa songs, but I think that set-list would be perfect for 90% of the places you could possibly play, and should nail a school audience pretty well.

Cool55155
03-11-2008, 01:18 AM
do sanitarium, most people there aren't probly into thrash metal and satarium is easy listening for most of it. I think you will get the most posotice reponse from that song.

Sublime Stylee
03-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Play a popular song from guitar hero... no joke, I was playing the intro to One the other day and my sister instantly recognized it.

Sonicxlover
03-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Oh my god, TS's songs would be awesome. You don't need any suggestions.

Kissing The Shadows? Could you pull that off? Also, someone suggested Holy Wars, that'd be good.

Edit: Actually, AngusX is right. As much as I and other metalheads would love all of those, it's not gonna get you anywhere with most audience. Do more school friendly stuff. For a slow song you could do A Tout Le Monde if you want.

Armagedn
03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I think AngusX was pretty much right, but then Sublime nailed it. Anything from GH. As much as I hate that game, because people think it's better than a real guitar, highschoolers will instantly recognize and/or love them.

littledude65
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Just me, I think you should do Panama by Van Halen. Just an overall great song.

metallicafan616
03-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Kissing The Shadows? Could you pull that off?

is that possible? i think no boundaries by MAB is somehow easier!