Which key is the saddest?

PDA

View Full Version : Which key is the saddest?

BarrellShabbot
07-10-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm looking for the saddest key there is, right now, the saddest is Dm, but what is THE saddest!? :(

Chickenparts
07-10-2007, 03:43 AM
The saddest key is probably the key to Paris Hilton's house. It is probably terribly sexually abused on drunken slumber fuck night. :(

ihatefender
07-10-2007, 03:44 AM
You're right Dm is the saddest key. Nigel said it himself while makeing lick my love pump.

skaguitarist53
07-10-2007, 03:44 AM
+1 for spinal tap reference

Kylster
07-10-2007, 03:46 AM
I really could have sworn I saw this exact same thread like... A year ago. I don't know why it stuck out to me.

Anyway, in terms of Music, all the minor keys are equally as "sad" sounding, just different pitches.

Instead of just key, think of melody, and how each instrument will react to each other. Mixing the right sounds together, even just Voice and Guitar could be infinitely more 'sad' than a key alone.

FearTheD
07-10-2007, 03:47 AM
did anyone NOT see the spinal tap reference coming?>.< +1 for beating me to it

The4thHorsemen
07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
um... isn't this in the wrong place? shouldn't it be in like musician talk or somethin?

CoreysMonster
07-10-2007, 03:50 AM
according to Phil Collens Dm is the saddest key.

so it's obviously Gm

Kankuro
07-10-2007, 03:51 AM
^ :haha

RPotts
07-10-2007, 03:52 AM
F# Locrian, A Dorian, Bm, F#m

Matticuss22
07-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Personally i would say Am. Just play an A minor chord and it makes me what to slit my wrists then bathe them in salt.

skaguitarist53
07-10-2007, 03:54 AM
i have to disagree with the A Dorian, but eh, my opinions different. otherwise i completely agree with rpotts post

zEp101
07-10-2007, 03:56 AM
lol spinal tap..

"IT goes to 11"
"Can't you just make 10 louder?"

"......but this goes to 11"

PatchworkMan
07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
You're right Dm is the saddest key. Nigel said it himself while makeing lick my love pump.
/thread

thefoldarsoldar
07-10-2007, 04:02 AM
*points at moonlight sonata*
c# minor FTW

PieceOfMind666
07-10-2007, 04:29 AM
how come spinal tap never put "lick my love pump" on any of their actual albums? it should have been on the black album :(

maybe it's because the song actually sounded really good and beautiful, and spinal tap is about MAKING EAR DRUMS BLEED!!! <(another quote)

Auals
07-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Dm.

for me

my favourite happy key is C# Major

BarrellShabbot
07-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Sorry, guys, i just had to! Spinal Tap owns!

Offtopic:They should realese more music/guitar related movies these days :/

Random88
07-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Someone watched Spinal Tap on telly last night, didn't they?

So did I :D, what a film

thebassmaster
Am :D on piano, easiest minor to work with, therefore more stuff can be done to it

noxiosimitator
Personally i would say Am. Just play an A minor chord and it makes me what to slit my wrists then bathe them in salt.

*plays Am*

Auals
07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Am :D on piano, easiest minor to work with, therefore more stuff can be done to it
:eek:

wait... just...

WTF DUDE?

... sorry it may just be me... but what the HELL...

Just because it's the easiest to work with doesn't mean more can be done with it :rolleyes: maybe by you but get a professional pianist there and they can do just as much as you

Sorry, I just don't like people saying "I do this, it's easier which means it's better", screw you, you're wrong

:peace:

/rant

sorry

Night_Lights
07-10-2007, 07:58 AM

wait... just...

WTF DUDE?

... sorry it may just be me... but what the HELL...

Just because it's the easiest to work with doesn't mean more can be done with it :rolleyes: maybe by you but get a professional pianist there and they can do just as much as you

Sorry, I just don't like people saying "I do this, it's easier which means it's better", screw you, you're wrong

/rant

sorry

actually more CAN be done with Am on a standard tuned guitar than say, Db minor. A minor leads itself nicely to the open strings and positions of the guitar so he's not wrong there, though i do get what you are trying to say too.

Auals
07-10-2007, 08:18 AM
actually more CAN be done with Am on a standard tuned guitar than say, Db minor. A minor leads itself nicely to the open strings and positions of the guitar so he's not wrong there, though i do get what you are trying to say too.

He Said Piano, Reffering to the fact Am only has 1 sharp compared to other minors. ;)

thebassmaster
07-10-2007, 08:20 AM

sorry
I think what your trying to say is that a professional piano player could do the same with any minor than just the easiest one.

well, for one, i am not a professional pianist, I have been playing with lessons for 6 years, and reached grade 4 standard, then a further 2 without, so am no way near. That being said, i know my scales, so therefore know all the minors. Now as A minor involves no sharps or flats, it is easier for me to piece together a song in a minor pattern around this key than having to keep thinking more about it. Therefore, I can, by logic do more stuff to it. Do I have to write based on a key of Bb minor because its harder? No, because i can create a better composition based on the scale I am more comfortable with.

He Said Piano, Reffering to the fact Am only has 1 sharp compared to other minors. ;)

IT HAS NO SHARPS . E minor has one sharp, while d minor has one flat, which you should already know as it is your favourite minor key

All this brings to my point that its easier, so [b]I can do more stuff with it.

KileManA7X
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
B minor :(

Auals
07-10-2007, 08:51 AM
hmmm where to start, well i think trying to understand your argument will be a good point. I think what your trying to say is that a professional piano player could do the same with any minor than just the easiest one.

well, for one, i am not a professional pianist, I have been playing with lessons for 6 years, and reached grade 4 standard, then a further 2 without, so am no way near. That being said, i know my scales, so therefore know all the minors. Now as A minor involves no sharps or flats, it is easier for me to piece together a song in a minor pattern around this key than having to keep thinking more about it. Therefore, I can, by logic do more stuff to it. Do I have to write based on a key of Bb minor because its harder? No, because i can create a better composition based on the scale I am more comfortable with.

and no, it has none, i wonder who taught you how to play. E minor has one sharp, while d minor has one flat, which you should already know as it is your favourite minor key Also, is it only the piano that has a sharp in A minor? im pretty sure its the same on every single instrument, but mind you, i expect you should know.

All this brings to my point that its easier, so I can do more stuff with it. However, being as you are such a professional playing the A minor with a sharp thrown in randomly, im sure you can tell me where im going wrong, so I can learn to use the most complicated key around, thus making it the saddest key ever.
Ok Sorry, but i'm SURE Am has a sharp :confused: G# lead up note? with A the tonic? thus it goes A, B, C, D, E, F, G#, A? and Dm, correct, I wasn't thinking correctly, F being the relative minor.

I apologise, but I still stand by the simplicity statement. No minor is any simpler to create music for than any other. I'm more a composer than a player myself, I dabble and let proffesionals play for me but...

Sorry.

EDIT: as for Dm, it has two, Bb and C#. E minor has F# and D#.

Unless I'm really screwed up with my minor scales :confused: t, s, t, t, s, t 1/2, s?

and yes, after re-reading. Granted, that it may be easier for you, doesn't mean it's easier in general.

thebassmaster
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Ok Sorry, but i'm SURE Am has a sharp :confused: G# lead up note? with A the tonic? thus it goes A, B, C, D, E, F, G#, A? and Dm, correct, I wasn't thinking correctly, F being the relative minor.

I apologise, but I still stand by the simplicity statement. No minor is any simpler to create music for than any other. I'm more a composer than a player myself, I dabble and let proffesionals play for me but...

Sorry.

Actually after reading the thread, its my bad. It says saddest key, not favourite key.

So yeah im wrong. But A minor has no sharps in it :)

Auals
07-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Actually after reading the thread, its my bad. It says saddest key, not favourite key.

So yeah im wrong. But A minor has no sharps in it :)

I've already Edited my post but

Am has G#, i'd bet just about anything on it

Dm has 2 flats/sharps, Bb and C# (yes written like that as C# is an accidental and therefore allowed to differ otherwise it would result in a scale consisting of 2 D's, a Db and a D)

and Em has 2 as well, F# and D#.

Anyone else agree? Sorry

thebassmaster
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Dang got me thinking now.

E major has F# g# and c# and d#. E minor has just f# after lowering 3rd 6th and 7th.
Yours is right too. your doing harmonic minor :)

thebassmaster
07-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Natural A minor has none. With a harmonic minor you raise the 7th note which is g#. So we are actually both right..... I think/hope.

edit: Yeah am sure were both right, deleted my harsh comments cause were uncalled for.

Toms' anominous
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Aeolian&get2=Get
look no sharps

Jackal58
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
My guitar loves Em so I just go with what my guitar loves

Auals
07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Dang got me thinking now.

E major has F# g# and c# and d#. E minor has just f# after lowering 3rd 6th and 7th.
Yours is right too. your doing harmonic minor :)
hahaha, why would we be doing Melodic Minors? melodic minors sound weird and confusing...
OH I HAVE FIGURED OUT YOUR PROBLEM

you forgot accidentals ;)

and the "natural Am" that you're talking about
is I BELIEVE i don't know these properly yet

but

A Lydian? which is an A scale played in C's key (basically) someone who knows their fullscale guitar theory please. I only know my fourthgrade :(

We'realltoBlame
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
The saddest key is the key I'm going to use to kill you!!!

Confusius
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
There is no saddest key. All minors will sound sad and all majors will sound jolly. It's the way you place the notes on the page and how you relate each one to the next that will make your piece sound like happy birthday, a funeral march or like The Fire Bird.

One Way Ticket
07-10-2007, 09:43 AM
c# minor FTW
Yeah, thru fire n flames ! Wewt!

lawlz

E flat Harmonic Minor? B flat Phrygian Dominant? I like those. A Dorian sounds rather fun than sad. At least that's how I apply it.

One Way Ticket
07-10-2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Aeolian&get2=Get
look no sharps
yet...

Kensai
07-10-2007, 09:44 AM
You twits C# isn't the saddest key it's Dm

:p:

Toms' anominous
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
You twits C# isn't the saddest key it's Dm

:p:

sry Kensai that ones been done to death by now.

Kensai
07-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Damnit... I should really start reading threads before I say something ;)

Confusius
07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Lol Kensai.

EDIT: Why don't you come and **** around in the Grammar Nazi thread...it's getting boring :eek: :devil: :cool:

noxiosimitator
07-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Lol Kensai.

EDIT: Why don't you come and **** around in the Grammar Nazi thread...it's getting boring :eek: :devil: :cool:

you !!

again !!!

Aikoj
09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Just to clarify...

I saw this post on google, I'm not sure how old/recent it is...

But A minor has NO sharps.
G#?
Minor scales don't have that leading tone, major scales do, but not minor...

Em is just F#, there is NO D#... -_-

The formula for a minor scale is from the tonic, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step.

It just starts on the 6th note of a major scale.

JohnnyGenzale
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Dm.

Z_cup_boy
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM

those are scales, boyfran.

Volvic
09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
c# minor FTW
Isn't that track in A minor?

Just to clarify...

I saw this post on google, I'm not sure how old/recent it is...

But A minor has NO sharps.
G#?
Minor scales don't have that leading tone, major scales do, but not minor...

Em is just F#, there is NO D#... -_-

The formula for a minor scale is from the tonic, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step.

It just starts on the 6th note of a major scale.
Try playign an A minor scale with G# instead of G.
It's called harmonic minor and sounds sweet as a nut.

ModestMelon
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
personally I find C#m to be the saddest key.

Zoot Allures
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
the key of life ;(

Guitar_Dan_666
09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I like C# minor and G minor.

I'm not even going to make a Spinal Tap joke...

Emo-Slayer
09-29-2009, 08:07 PM

:facepalm:

Edit: The Am scale has NO sharps. The A harmonic minor scale has the G# sharp.

Also, no key is sadder than any other.

lespaul1216
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
+1000 for referencing one of my favorite films of all time.

SomeoneYouKnew
09-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I saw this post on google, I'm not sure how old/recent it is...lol.

Read the date on the first post. 2 YEARS and then some.

guitar_newbie
09-29-2009, 08:19 PM
the key of life ;(

:(
http://smily.hit.bg/hug.gif

_T_H_R_I_C_E_
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
This one
http://members.iinet.net.au/~davidbroughton/sadface.jpg

Oh....you meant music...

THURG
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Am.

Listen to Street Spirit by Radiohead. Listen to Solemn Thirsty by Malcolm Middleton. Listen to River Of Deceit by Mad Season. All in Am.

I know of sadder songs, admittedly, but I've still not worked out which key they're in, so I'm staying with these for now.

(though Porcupine Tree's "Shesmovedon" is in G major, and it's a very sad song)

SlinkyBlue
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
C#m.

muffinduck01
04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Am.

Listen to Street Spirit by Radiohead. Listen to Solemn Thirsty by Malcolm Middleton. Listen to River Of Deceit by Mad Season. All in Am.

I know of sadder songs, admittedly, but I've still not worked out which key they're in, so I'm staying with these for now.

Necromancer!!!! Burn him!!!

lol nah if anyone still cares, i like the blues scale in G

The_Clansman_
04-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm looking for the saddest key there is, right now, the saddest is Dm, but what is THE saddest!? :(
:confused:

food1010
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
No one key is sadder than any other key. I could write a song in C major and it could make you bawl. Well, maybe I couldn't, but someone could.

Sure some sets of notes have certain innate emotions, but these can be broken very easily.

Edit: Damn, I just realized this thread is ancient. You fooled me again, necrothread-bumpers!!

hollerfivedolla
04-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Am.

Three year old thread dude.

GuitarGuitar
04-16-2010, 09:34 PM
In equal temperament (which is what has been used in western music for over 100 years) all minor keys are equal in quality. In fact the whole idea of equal temperament was that you could play something in any key and it would sound the same. In equal temperament semitones are equal divisions of a logarithmic scale. The idea of certain keys being sadder comes from the use of earlier temperaments such as Just Intonation and Well Temperament. In these temperaments the intervals in different key would be slightly sharper or flatter than in other keys thus lending them a different quality. Think of it as similar to the way we identify quarter tones with Middle Eastern music.

That said it is arguable that some keys may have specific timbral qualities on specific instruments but this would really being on and instrument by instrument, piece by piece basis.

TMF128
04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
F# Minor can sound very depressing if used right (Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G8LzT6Ye-M)