Jeff Beck

PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Beck

striker327
07-12-2007, 12:17 AM
hey guys,
I'm interesting in looking at some Jeff Beck but i don't really know what album to buy. So for someone who hasn't herd any Jeff Beck what album do you recommend?

Doodleface
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Truth.
Beck-ola.

JeffWiredBeck24
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Wired!

Hence my username.

striker327
07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
thanx guys ill check em out :) ^ btw OCD sucks i got it

Zeppelin256
07-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Blow by Blow is my favorite, but Wired is a good one too.

psychodelia
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Truth.
Beck-ola.

I'd suggest that you start with these, but the other options are good too.

SuburbanCowboy
07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Depends on what flavor you're after. If you want classic blues rock, then check out Truth and Beck-ola, as well as his work with the Yardbirds.

For jazz/funk fusion, listen to Blow By Blow, Wired, Guitar Shop, and There And Back.

And unless you dig techno, I'd avoid his more recent stuff like You Had It Comin and Jeff.

The three disc set "Beckology" is a great place to start, since it covers a little bit of everything. And fortunately since it came out in 93, it excludes the techno stuff. :p:

TheDev01dOne
07-12-2007, 02:31 AM
I got the Yardbirds "Roger the Engineer" album expecting some sweet blues rock and was rather let down by it.

Anyone know which, if any, records he played his Esquire on?

SuburbanCowboy
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of most Yardbirds stuff. A lot of it just screams "Put us on pop radio!"

The first disc from the Beckology box set is the YB's at their most rockin, bluesy best. There's even a few unreleased tracks where Beck goes ape****. You can hear early hints of his fusion style starting to develop.

And since we're talkin Jeff Beck... anyone know if he's workin on anything new?

cortez0
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Nop, is he still touring, I want to see that guy live

psychodelia
07-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, he still tours. I was unable to see him play in New Hampshire about a year or so ago because of commitments, very disappointing :(

Encore_God
07-13-2007, 06:39 AM
And since we're talkin Jeff Beck... anyone know if he's workin on anything new?

He probably is... but it probably involves wheels and elbow grease rather than amps and studio time if you know what I mean ;)

JeffWiredBeck24
07-13-2007, 06:43 AM
He probably is... but it probably involves wheels and elbow grease rather than amps and studio time if you know what I mean ;)

The guy doesn't practice, just works on his "hot rods" all day.

Encore_God
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
The guy doesn't practice, just works on his "hot rods" all day.

And he's still so amazing :(

Just look at this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K1NEMI8qtBs :eek:

SuburbanCowboy
07-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Just look at this:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JEFF, DO A F*CKING BLUES ALBUM!!

JeffWiredBeck24
07-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Just look at this:

His picking technique never ceases to amaze me.

psychodelia
07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
It's funny when you hear about these guys who supposedly practice 8 or more hours a day, and so many still don't interest me half as much as Jeff.

On topic of the video, I love how he uses notes that aren't quite "in tune" to his advantage.

TheHeartbreaker
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
That's something I love to hear a lot of Jazz players do; go out of key just to the point where you're about to say, "What the **** are they doing," and then come back down absolutely perfectly, and achieve an effect that is breathtaking.

And man, what ****ing technique he has! This is one of the few times I've actually watched him play, and I've seen few others play in that style.

So what's everyones favorite era of Jeff's career?

apauling
07-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Jeff Beck Albums, What about "Rough & Ready"? I saw him live at the Berkley Community Theatre many years ago I believe it was early 70's. Great performace, a sit down venue. His solo on Goin Down was phenominal

Sloopy
07-21-2007, 05:10 PM
There And Back
Blow By Blow
Wired

Those are my choices.

To TheHeartbreaker;
The 1969 - 1975 era is my favourite.

stringzzz
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought "Guitar Shop" was amazing. still do. not a bad tune on the whole CD.

but "blow by Blow" "Wired " "there and Back" are definately must haves and I think you can buy those three discs bundled together, in like a mini box- set.

does anyone have a cd he recorded called "Crazy Legs" , probably in the late 80's. I tried looking for it a couple of times but couldn't find any info on it. Oh well...

some of the tunes on "Flash" are kind of cool, the guitar solo on "ambitious" is totally nuts...

"people get ready" is on there too, great song.

johnny_tapia
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I only recently started listening to Jeff Beck. The first time I really heard him was on the Crossroads DVD :)

SuburbanCowboy
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm really hurting for Jeff Beck to release something new*

*by something new, I mean something old-school... like blues or fusion. I really love the way he approaches a 12-bar blues. I just wish he'd go back to his roots instead of searching for new sounds, which I respect but just cant get into. You Had It Comin had a few good tracks, but all of his other recent stuff... :(