Turning an Acoustic into an Electric?

PDA

View Full Version : Turning an Acoustic into an Electric?

ttreat31
07-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi,

I got my acoustic guitar about a month ago, and the guy at Guitar Center mentioned that it would cost like $80 to turn it into an electric guitar where they'd drill it and put some thing on it and put some pickups on it. Can someone explain to me in a little more detail how this works and what I would need if I did this?

Thanks.

muso_ chris
07-12-2007, 02:29 AM
they put an acoustic pickup system in it, dont know how that works exactly sorry, but they put the pickup over the soundhole, check out john butlers 12 string acoustic, thats the sorta thing they do.

ttreat31
07-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Can I use any old amp? Also, would I need a feedback buster when I play?

johnos
07-12-2007, 02:59 AM
they put an acoustic pickup system in it, dont know how that works exactly sorry, but they put the pickup over the soundhole, check out john butlers 12 string acoustic, thats the sorta thing they do.

probably wouldnt be in the form of a soundhole pickup. Theyre usually used as more of a temp solution.

what they would do is install a pickup and possibly a preamp thingy as well so you can do some EQing at the actual guitar. This is the same as any acoustic-electric guitar you buy from the shop. It just means you can plug it into a PA or an amp.
You can just plug it into any old amp but an acoustic amp will probably do you best. If not an amp that has good cleans is best. Or you can plug it straight into a PA system.

Dix_Fix
07-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Try google on "shadow" pick up system or "Fishman" pickup system.
This is the cheapest (& unseen) as the pick up is piezo & usually goes under the saddle & outputs through a specially designed strap pin through the arse of your guitar. There are other piezo systems that have like a little piezo speaker on the inside of your guitar that do the same as the under saddle pickups, but in my opinion the under saddle ones are the go.

shredmeiser101
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
i took one of my crappy acoustics, made a cover out of a plastic dvd case to cover the soundhole, and mounted a humbucker in it. that worked (i wanted a sweet slide guitar).

ttreat31
07-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!