How long does the Finger pain last?

PDA

View Full Version : How long does the Finger pain last?

wolves99
07-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually I have two questions

I have been playing for only 13 days, I presently practice 3-4 hours a night and have developed some pain (at times bad) on the finger tips on my fretting hand.

Each day the pain is less but I was wondering?

1. About how long will it be before i am close to pain free?

2. Since I am having pain the cords do not ring clear at times, will it affect the quality of my cords/sound down the road if they are not clear now or should i just keep trying even though they are muffled or are ringing?

Since I have encountered the pain I have tried to change cords less frequently and have concentrating on strumming patterns.

Any advice is appreciated
thanks in Advance

The Raven
07-14-2007, 02:34 PM
It all depends on your body. It can take awhile to build up your callouses enough for finger pain to completely stop, but I would imagine no longer than a month. Once you get your callouses you'll be able to make your chords ring clear once more and you should have no further problems down the road. Just don't pick 'em off!

Zida
07-14-2007, 02:34 PM
don't worry about it so much, your fingers will toughen soon enough.
i know when i first started playing and it was sooo painful i would do everything i could to toughen the skin, when i wasnt playing it id be biting my fingertips, or if i were lying down watching tv i would rub my fingers very hard against the carpet alot....
anyways, dont worry cause that pain will keep slowly reducing until it no longer really bothers you.
also, just try and work through the pain, if its painful that means its toughening the skin, dont worry about it ruining your future playing ability, just play until the pain is too much to bear :P

TOcheesehead
07-14-2007, 02:35 PM
The pain is normal, and it will be there until your fingers harden on the tips with blisters. it should get less as time goes on, but if you play for a long time it's bound to hurt, even for an experienced guitarist. when they hurt, just take a rest for 5-10 minutes and continue.

Instrumetal
07-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't remember feeling pain when they started? I'm not saying it's uncommon, I just can't remember ever having sore hands.

Not from playing guitar, anyway...

<_<

The Raven
07-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't remember feeling pain when they started? I'm not saying it's uncommon, I just can't remember ever having sore hands.

Not from playing guitar, anyway...

<_<

You probably are the only one :D all kidding aside though, were you doing other things that would have built callouses on your fingertips? If not, you are a lucky man.

Sharkyuk27
07-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Use surgical spirit if it gets too much to bear. I know it works well on blisters and my mate gave it a thumbs up for toughening his fingers

needled24/7
07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
as everyone has said, it'll go away soon. one thing i'd suggest is short breaks during practice to ease the pain. after all, guitar playing takes patience and perseverance. don't let it get to you and you'll be fine. good luck.

guitarkid02
07-18-2007, 12:33 AM
suck it up! jk man. keep playing, you'll start getting more used to it! =)

Jamingguitarist
07-18-2007, 12:45 AM
It'll go away in i say about a week and btw its spelled chord

Ancient Jello
07-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Use surgical spirit if it gets too much to bear. I know it works well on blisters and my mate gave it a thumbs up for toughening his fingers

I've seen that recommended quite often for new guitar players. (I use to use methylated spirits the first time I started guitar which I think is the same thing as surgical spirit.)

Gu1tar K1d
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
The pain is good: it means you are pushing yourself to your current limit. if the pain then goes, your limit gets bigger.

gpro83
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm with Instrumental, I've been playing for a few months and haven't had any pain in my fingers at all. :)

ibanezplayer145
07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
hah yea man just like everyone said you'll get through it.
I suggest that you keep playing through the pain and even slide your fingers alot on the strings(this may hurt more and sound even stupider but) this will cause calases to build on your finger tips and make them tough. Then eventually you wont ever feel pain if you keep playing regularly. :D

MetalStreetCrew
07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
You're just lucky you don't play bass...

strong_wizard
07-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Just press hard, don't worry about the pain ^^
Wouldn't it be cool to say that you ripped open your fingertips with too much guitar?

Project_Entry
07-21-2007, 04:39 AM
strong_wizard, i've been there before, it's not cool if you're left handed, coz it hurts to write when you've got sore fingers. ANyway, sore fingers on your fretting hand is common, when you first start out. ( i started on the bass so when i moved to the guitar i didnt really have that problem other than on my pinky, which i managed to split open once because of a blister i sustained from bending bass strings with ring-finger and pinky)

I hate to say it but, what everyone has said is true, it depends on how soft and supple your hand started out as before you started playing the guitar, because as time goes on, you'll realise you've got one rough and tough hand. (one way i know was that i started picking up really hot boiled potatoes and they didnt burn.) Dont try that at home btw.

adamrandall
07-21-2007, 04:43 AM
i had rhino skin so it never hurt me. it should stop hurting soon enough, and your finger strength and control will increase making notes ring clearly.

Eighteen4Ever
07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
it shouldn't last much longer , just keep practising those non-barred F's! Of course, I started with Elixirs, so I think maybe my fingers got a bit pampered.

Anyway, a bigger concern is going to be wrist pain if you're playing a lot of power chords (especially in Drop D). I remember the first full song I ever learned was Soco Amaretto Lime by Brand New (hence my username), which is almost 100% powerchords and variations in drop D, not fun for the ol' left wrist.

SexyVeganChick
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
The pain will wear off eventually, just dont use pumice or anything else to rub off the calluses because those are what help prevent the pain as you play more. Dont worry about having ringing chords, once your fingers are rougher and stronger you will be able to press harder and therefore get a better tone.

Cinnamon Girl
07-23-2007, 10:39 PM
the others have given great advice. i'm a girl...so small fingers and it a long time for there to be no pain; i'd say well over a month. but, with practicing as much as you do, you should build up resistence fast. if you're just sitting around poke at your fingertips with your nails (to simulate pressing the string). I found that helps if they hurt too much to practice anymore.

la'guit
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Every beginner gets pains when they start, its realy not a problem! Its just when your mussles are over worked and streched and the skin on the ends of your fingers is split or broken. If guitarists don't train there mussles with exersizes and scales e.c.t, you may get a litlle 'rusty'. Through time, hard skin called callous will form on the end of your finger tips and your mussles will start to expand... so no worries!

I've been playing for 2 and a half years and if i dont practice enoth i can a some problems...
and keep up the practice, thats the key!

nicodimus
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
i've been playing for about a year and a half now, and my fingers still hurt if i'm learning something new which has difficult stretches and stuff

RollingFree
08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
1.It get's better in about a month. But, if you play for long periods of time, thier bound to hurt. Just take a quick brake and stretch your fingers.
2.Once your fingers get better, you'll be better at strumming chords.