Turning shed into a recording studio.

PDA

View Full Version : Turning shed into a recording studio.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a VERY Un-used shed at the back of my garden and I thought "I should turn it into a recording studio" I'm not looking for a huge one with a control room, a recording room and a hug interface, just a room where I can lay down some stuff and shizz.

I've decided I'll be soundproofing it with soundproof foam, putting some form of protective paint on the outside so weather doesnt harm it and just having a simple recording thing (like a Boss BR) in there with whatever instrument i'm recording (I'll also be getting my hands on a Korg M1 synth, a Roland R8, or simerlar, drum machine and a Boss GX700 rack multi effect (all second hand of course)) so these will be used in there as well.

Anyway are there any tips or anything I can use for this?
I'm pretty sure I know the basics of it all, for the electricity I can get a very long plug thingy run it across te fence and into the shed in which I can stick an extnsion thingy to, it sound un thought out but i have a clear picture in my head of what I'm doing with that but I need to know things like what sound proofing foam to use? What stuff will I need in there for recording Guitar, Bass, keyboard and drums (well drum machine) etc.

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Do you have an extra computer at your disposal? I know that sounds funny but it is a very common thing. I believe the best way to do it would be to buy a USB mixer and run it through software, some can be aquired over the internet. You would then need at least one mic for micing your amp on whatever instrument.

Keep in mind that soundproof foam is expensive as hell.

EDIT: I don't know if Sam Ash ships to the UK or not, but any reputable dealer sells this type of foam.
http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?categorysubid=846&departmentid=6&sourcetype=deptnav6

Shib
07-14-2007, 07:34 PM
is it going to be insolated to keep animals from getting in? what about heating and something to regulate the humidity.

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 07:36 PM
^Humidity yes, but I don't think heat will be a problem where he lives.

ECistheBest
07-14-2007, 07:37 PM
http://www.gkacoustics.com/booths6x8.asp

that and put a roof on it?

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.gkacoustics.com/booths6x8.asp

that and put a roof on it?

That's a lotta dough.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I will have an extra computer for it at some point yes.
And I found a website I can get some for 50 1000x1000 self adhesive rolls, expensive but it'll be okay.
And I'll be making sure nothing will be able to get in and the humidity wont be a problem, I live in england :p: I could stick some insulation between the wall and the sound proof foam so the cold doesnt get in and I could just stick a fan in there for the days it's too hot which will be rare.

EDIT: Woah I dont want a whole booth :p: I already have the 'body' to this 'mod' as it were.

ECistheBest
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
That's a lotta dough.

seriously :/

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 07:42 PM
^ Weather sucks in the central states. :p:

Well, everything I listed above is a low profile, low cost (comparatively), and easy way to record. I use it.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah I'm going to get myself a laptop so I can mix all the music I record on my Micro BR or whatever (Micro BR is the main choice until I can afford a more proffesional thing mainly cos its cheap and effective) I'll also get myself a decent mic to mic my amp and whatnot.

The main focus right now is the actual room as the recording software will be upgradable as I go on but the shed really needs to be doe perfect first, I'll start clearing it out when I'm able to save up for some form of protective paint, does anyone know where i can get that stuff?

the_random_hero
07-14-2007, 07:52 PM
At any sort of volumes, the tin (I'm assuming you're meaning a tin shed) will start to vibrate and sound horrible. This limits to you recording at low levels, so no tube combo's for you :(

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually, cheaper than the BR and better IMO is the:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

The BR has less than perfect tweaking. YOu could get a mixer like that, and get a torrent of Acid 5 or 6 (which is illegal (I did it. :D)). With a mic, viola. Plug in, mic up, and record.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
The shed is all wood not tin!
And I havent decided on the exact recording thing I'll be using as I'm not super knowledgable in that department so I'll check out whatever you guys suggest!

WOWdoritos
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
go to ebay uk, and search for soundproofing, one company is offering packages of soundproof tiles , 80/100 tiles for about 100ish

ECistheBest
07-14-2007, 07:56 PM
^i thought those only improve the acoustics, not soundproof...

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I'll have to check that out.

Also will the electricity thing just need a very long extension lead which i can hitch onto my fence then into my shed or will it be more complicated than that?

I'll get pictures of the shed as soon as I can by the way.

WOWdoritos
07-14-2007, 08:00 PM
these soundproof, to be honest i did read the auction that much.

ECistheBest
07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
can i get a link to one? cuz i want to soundproof my room... :D

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Cool thanks for all the help guys, I cant wait to get started on this pity it'll be a long time til i can do anything but clean the thing out, it'll be great to have somewhere to practice un-bothered and record some stuff.

notsofun
07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I would highly suggest running some proper power to it, running a long extension cord as a permanant means of power not the best idea. Also if you want true soundproofing build a second wall an inch away from the exsisting wall (the wood and insulation for this would cost you not too much). Once thats in, lay soundboard on your walls. (pretty cheap and most major building supply places carry it) On top of your sound board put resilent channeling up and than drywall over that (resilent channeling bascially allows the drywall to float)

jof1029
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
the best way to run electricity would be to actually wire it inground. its a pain in the ass cause you gotta dig a trench, but it is the best way to do it. basicly you run a trench a few inches to a foot deep, get a tube of pvc pipe or something similar, then run a heavy grade wire through the pipe. then you can wire up that to an outlet , and even have a switch if you want. i would use an outlet with a built in circuit breaker since you will be using gear you care about. not easy, but if you are going to spend a ton of money on soundproofing and stuff, you may as well do the wiring correctly.

now, for soundproofing you can also hang heavy rugs about 2-3 inches from each wall. the rugs block some sound, then the dead air behind the rugs kills most of the sound. the only true way to soundproof is a room within a room, and using rugs helps this kind of effect. the foam stuff will probably do ok though, if you are set on that.

but really, dont cheap out on the electricity part. the last thing you want is to put a bunch of money into this studio and have it suck because you cant get power.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Well the foam will do because there is noone to disturb and i'm sure it'll keep outdoor sound out.
And the electricity part I cant really do anything that will be expensive and/or turfing up ground I'll get pictures of the garden and shed so you have an idea of what I'm working with.

notsofun
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Romex wiring (the stuff used to wire houses) is dirt cheap and so is the tubing that you run it under ground through. Were talking maybe 20-30$ when all is said and done for your wiring which is like 10 - 15 pounds.

ExplorerFreak
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
^ But he cant go tearing up his garden.

jof1029
07-14-2007, 08:30 PM
^^ toss in a power outlet thatll run you around 5 bucks (a bit more if you get the one with the built in breaker which is nice). still not too expensive though.

the only real cost with that is labor. you just take the sod off the top before you dig your trench, then you can put it back on when you finish. its barely noticable if you do it well. yes it may be a pain, but it is well worth it. now if you cant for some real reason (like there is a wall in the way) then ok, but i would still look for something better than an extension cord.

Punk_Ninja
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
There is actually a wall :p:

Plus another reason I cant go digging up ****: Rented house, I'll throw anoter reason: Living with Mum and sister, I'm 14.
If this was my place i'd be straight onto it but it took a fair fight to persuade her to let me have some form of overground electrics.

moody07747
07-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a VERY Un-used shed at the back of my garden and I thought "I should turn it into a recording studio" I'm not looking for a huge one with a control room, a recording room and a hug interface, just a room where I can lay down some stuff and shizz.

I've decided I'll be soundproofing it with soundproof foam, putting some form of protective paint on the outside so weather doesnt harm it and just having a simple recording thing (like a Boss BR) in there with whatever instrument i'm recording (I'll also be getting my hands on a Korg M1 synth, a Roland R8, or simerlar, drum machine and a Boss GX700 rack multi effect (all second hand of course)) so these will be used in there as well.

Anyway are there any tips or anything I can use for this?
I'm pretty sure I know the basics of it all, for the electricity I can get a very long plug thingy run it across te fence and into the shed in which I can stick an extnsion thingy to, it sound un thought out but i have a clear picture in my head of what I'm doing with that but I need to know things like what sound proofing foam to use? What stuff will I need in there for recording Guitar, Bass, keyboard and drums (well drum machine) etc.

Make yourself or buy a DAW

As for more info have a look at my sig. line.

A personal recording studio...Even an unused shed is great to have and a nice project.

Punk_Ninja
07-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Will check that out more thoroughly later, thanks!

Conica
07-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Did he say the humidity wont be a problem cause he lives in england?
*looks around room at the wallpaper pealing off due to humidity*
And i live in liverpool =/

Also, Whatre your shed walls like, If theyre really flimsy you may wanna add extra supports on the inside and possible an inside wall of MDF or something, Just to kill the mega vibrations you could get if the walls start wobbling due to wind/High amp volume

Punk_Ninja
07-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Well Burton is cold and wet most of the time (hence the protective paint wanted.
And the shed's pretty stable and I wont be playing like amazingly loud, but I may add some extra support.

Conica
07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
cool =]

BlackBeautyBoy
07-15-2007, 09:58 AM
You might need a new door if its an old shed, you want it theif proof.

Punk_Ninja
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
The door should hold with a lick of paint and a good. . 4 locks :p:

Conica
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Bump?

This a dead project or what?

kaplac
07-23-2007, 04:12 PM
You have to understnad sound travels through air. Anywhere air can go sound can go as well.

So just becuase you have 4 locks aroudn the door doesn't mean the sound can't travel through the spaces between the locks. If you have a completely solid wooden door, you shoudl be fine running some isulation foam around the inside of the door frame to seal off the sides and have some kind of way to seal off hte bottom as well.

As for soundproofing the room, the best results will come from literally building another wall about an inch or two away from the current wall. Then covering the wall with high density vinyl sealing all cracks between sheets of vinyl with acoustical caulking. Then covering the wall with something sound absorbant like thick carpet

Soundproof foam is also a viable alternative, but you will need to find a way to supposrt the foam a couple inches from the wall as well as finding a way to seal all the pieces of foam together so no sound can travel between the foam. It won't be as effective bt it will still do a decent job.

And acoustic tiles do not soundproof. They bounce soundwaves back at you. Notice in large theatres and concert halls the walls aren't lined in acoustic tiles they are only placed strategically aroudn hte room to bounce soundwaves back into the audience to give an impression of reverb or echo.

btw, when it rains it is usually humidity = 100%
Rain is water, humidity is just water vapor essentially. So when it rains the humidity guages will also jump up, you just don't notice it as much when its cold and rainy compared to a hot day.