Blues Songs Help

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Songs Help

Paul916
07-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I've started playing in a 5 piece blues band (Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Drums and Vox) and we're trying to get a set together. We've all played our instruments for about 10 years ish so we play to a good standard but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any songs to us. The set needs to be half an hour long but we want to learn more than that so we can choose the best songs to play. We're looking for quite a lively set with only one slow song as the venue where we will be playing is probably not going to be filled with people who regularly listen to blues. So far we've got:

John Mayer: Who did you think I was, Gravity, I got a woman,

Gary Moore (&BB King): Since I met you baby

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Superstition

As you can see it's not a huge variety so any help would be hugely appreciated!
Cheers, Paul :)

SOMETHINGSOAD
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
La Grange- Zz Top

wholovesthesun
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Ten years of playing and you're asking us for help? You either are terrible or extremely modest, but either way I'll give you a few songs.

Spoonful- Howlin Wolf
Champagne and Reefer- Muddy Waters
Mojo Hand- Lightning Hopkins
Matchbox Blues- Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
Walking By Myself- Jimmy Rogers
Quarter to Twelve- Little Walter
Preaching Blues- Robert Johnson
Lousiana Swamp Pop- Freddie King

Paul916
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks i'll check those out! Nah it's just i've only got into blues very recently, was a bit of a metalhead so it's just something new i'm trying out and enjoying! Cheers

idkmybffjill123
07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
do waitin on the world to change.
maby eric clapton stuff allthough i cant think what songs would be best for you off the top of my head

ItsThatDude
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
do you want like, delta blues or summat? or do you want stuff that's more contermporary

Knives490
07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
hey joe, pride and joy, summertime blues (do it in your own bluesy style), rock me baby, layla (acoustic and blues it up some more)

igotabcrich32
07-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Whenever i got to a local blue show, the standards have mostly been:

Willie The Wimp
Pride and Joy
Roadhouse Blues
The Thrill Is Gone
Red House
Tin Pan Alley
Cross Eyed Cat

then some that i think you should do along with the above:
Champagne and Reefer
Couldent Stand The Weather
Cissy Strut (funk more or less)

Riot Act
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Wang Wang Doodle-its been done a few times, i believe my favorite is Howlin Wolfs version. I know it sounds funny, but its about as upbeat as a blues song could possibly be.

Idk, i like the delta blues alot...but try Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker, you know some of the older stuff...sounds so nice.

mr_tea
07-28-2007, 08:52 AM
do the blues brothers version of shake your tail feather by ray charles. that song is froth

05delstrat
07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
SRV's Little wing i just played it and it is really fun to do especially with a band and it is a really good slow song that loosens you up and watms you up real good

also Buddy Guy's Feels like rain or anything from that album

B.B. kings how blue can you get or why i sing the blues