Collard Greens And Gravy

PDA

View Full Version : Collard Greens And Gravy

TheDev01dOne
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Seriously who has heard these guys.. I only found out yesterday they were Australian.

Really stripped back swamp blues kinda sound and Ian Collard is the Australian Harp champion.

Possibly my new favourite 'group' blues artists.

"St. James Infirmary" send chills down my spine every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDl5GIB3QmE

Check out Shorty's drum kit. Very unconventional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z163dzvLDzY

Sweet solo song from Ian.
(Anyone know what kinda guitar he is holding there? I know I've seen the same one before but I can't pick what it is.. Mosrite maybe?)

Anyway.. Discuss.

Dale_kerigan
07-19-2007, 04:46 AM
let me guess, you watched spicks and specks

they do look like some classy blues cats, might have to pick up an album myself

jimmyjimjim
07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
i really like his voice. thanks for the intro, they're awesome.

TheDev01dOne
07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
let me guess, you watched spicks and specks

Correct! Awesome show! But yeah I've had their albums floating around for a few months since I borrowed (stole) them off my uncle, I just never really listened to it to notice how awesome it is.

I think I like the first self-titled album best, seems more raw and shiit.

SuburbanCowboy
07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
^^ Check your pm's already, TheDev01dOne

captain_jack
07-23-2007, 11:25 PM
St. James Infirmary is an incredible song. It's one of those songs that grabs you and doesnt let go till it's over. But I've never heard their version. Based on the vids you put up I'd say they're quite good.

TheDev01dOne
07-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Who else has done that song? I wanna hear some other versions!

badpun
03-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah i got their new album Devil in the Woodpile and it is freakin' amazing and i saw them at an instore performance :D

TheDev01dOne
03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS THEM!!!

Yeah man I ordered it like 2 days after it came out I think, took like a week to get posted to England though. I really like it, it's gone back more like their first album with more harp playing and better groove.

Not seen them live yet but I'm sure I will if/when I ever ge the chance.

Ancient Jello
03-22-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm an Aussie and I'm sorry to say I've never heard of them but thanks, TheDev01dOne , for the heads-up. I'm going to buy all their CDs next week.

ze monsta
03-22-2008, 08:05 AM
They sound pretty good from those vids!

Great voice.

badpun
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS THEM!!!

Yeah man I ordered it like 2 days after it came out I think, took like a week to get posted to England though. I really like it, it's gone back more like their first album with more harp playing and better groove.

Not seen them live yet but I'm sure I will if/when I ever ge the chance.

Haha i got reccomended them by the store owner when i asked about some good blues bands i gotta get the rest of the albums but they were like $30 each at the time :( if you pm me ya email i can send you the few pics of their instore performance if you like?

TheDev01dOne
03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I have an AOTM written up for these guys but I dunno who to send it to to get it posted up properly.. Anyone wanna let me know if they read this so I can post it?

gopherthegreat
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
thats really good! im gonna download some of it right now

edit: shit, i cant find any torrents of it

imgooley
03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
thats really good! im gonna download some of it right now

edit: shit, i cant find any torrents of it
yeah really though

TheDev01dOne
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
www.collardgreensandgravy.com .. There' a link on there to buy their albums. :)

They're worth the money, trust me.

Someone tell me where to send my AOTM!!? please!! :peace:

Beakwithteeth
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey good stuff, I wish they had a bass though. So many of the raw blues groups have no bass and sound fine but I can't help but think that a bass would make them just a LITTLE bit better. :o

Well, whatever, good music all the same. :cheers:

badpun
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Anyway heres the pics i got from the instore performance if anyones interested (sorry if their a little blurry...camera phone :p: )

imgooley
03-22-2008, 08:15 PM
www.collardgreensandgravy.com .. There' a link on there to buy their albums. :)

They're worth the money, trust me.

Someone tell me where to send my AOTM!!? please!! :peace:
Just post it, although I think that someone is already doing april

badpun
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Are their previous albums as good as the new one "devil in the woodpile"?

TheDev01dOne
03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Are their previous albums as good as the new one "devil in the woodpile"?

I like the first one best, it's self titled. It's more stripped back and has lots more harmonica playing. The middle two, More Gravy! and Silver Bird are still good but a bit more modern sounding and Ian plays more guitar instead of harp all the time.

They're all great though, definitely worth getting if you like the new one but I'd get the first album before the other 2.

badpun
03-31-2008, 03:16 AM
I like the first one best, it's self titled. It's more stripped back and has lots more harmonica playing. The middle two, More Gravy! and Silver Bird are still good but a bit more modern sounding and Ian plays more guitar instead of harp all the time.

They're all great though, definitely worth getting if you like the new one but I'd get the first album before the other 2.
Cool thanks for the heads up :D