Gibson vs. Taylor vs. Martin vs. ... ?

PDA

View Full Version : Gibson vs. Taylor vs. Martin vs. ... ?

The Masterplan
07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
how do gibsons compare to taylors and martins (and some other good high-end brands ?) ?
and which brand do you prefer ?
i love the look of gibson acoustics but i don't know if they sound good.

roamingbard13
07-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Looking at price vs. quality, I don't think Gibson really stands up to Martins or Taylors. After that, its truly personal preference. Personally, I would prefer a Taylor to a Martin if I was looking for a dread/jumbo sized guitar. If was looking for something to do fingerpicking with, very few things can beat a Martin OOO or OM model imo.

The Masterplan
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
and why would you prefer a taylor or martin ?

noah22791
07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
I just got Taylor GS8, and I love it to death. Here's the thing, Martins are nice, but they are very expensive. I recently went into the store played a custom martin that was about 2,500 and it just didn't sound as nice as my Taylor GS8 which was around 1,800.

Taylors make extremely nice quality guitars and they are relatively cheap for what you are getting.

I love taylors, however gibson and martins are nice as well.

roamingbard13
07-20-2007, 01:26 PM
^^ They produce a much louder, rounder sound than Gibsons. I find that Gibsons sound kind of dead when played next to the Taylors and Martins.

Guitar Hack
07-20-2007, 05:51 PM
There are a lot of great guitars out there made by all three makers. Just a matter of personal preference. Go play them and get the one you like.

jimtaka
07-20-2007, 06:29 PM
for acoustic-electrics, i don't think taylor can be beat. for an acoustic, whether it be for hard strumming or fingerpicking, i don't think martin can be beat. it's my opinion that gibson's are among the worst guitars in their price ranges. i think martin, taylor, breedlove, and larrivee all offer superior guitars to any gibson for the same amount of money. i'm really interested to get my hands on some alvarez yairi guitars as well to see what they are all about.

CorduroyEW
07-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I typically like martins the best. They tend to sound more full to my ears. On the other hand, the nicest sounding production guitar I have ever played was a taylor 714. I'm not a big fan of short scale guitars because I think they have mushy bass. Gibson uses short scales on most of the instruments so I'm not a big fan of gibson.

johnos
07-21-2007, 03:11 AM
This is definitely one of those times where you probably have to spend some time with different models from all 3 companies.

I am similar to you in regard that I love the look of Gibson's (electrics as well... Les Pauls make me drool, but goddamn they are heavy and uncomfortable, I'm a strat man personally) but I think there are better companies in terms of sound. Out of those 3 I really like Taylors. I love Martins as well, but havent had as much experience playing them so therefore, I like Taylors better because I have played them more (And no I dont and never have owned either brand), simple as that.
And as jimtaka said, don't forget other brands as well. There are some killer guitars out there that aren't Martin or Taylor. And if your looking to buy (it certainly seems as if you are, lol) either in the near future or a bit further on down the track, don't forget about custom made guitars. I'd much rather have an entirely hand made and custom made guitar that is made how I want it than buying a what is probably also fantastic guitar for a similar price that may not be as good and may not be exactly what I want... Also I not fussed at all about not having a logo on my headstock, even if it does say Taylor on it... Get where I'm coming from? It does all depend on how much your planning to spend though

lawinnn
07-21-2007, 12:24 PM
When people buy Gibson Acoustics, they just pay for the name and a bunch of flash. I played a few today..ehh, nice sound, wasn't worth $3000 though.

Kartman
07-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Martin > Taylor > Gibson

I think people buy the Gibson because they have many diverse models. I have to admit, I really do love the Hummingbird.

scott58
07-21-2007, 05:26 PM
+1 on the Taylor GS8. I like martins, but there is a specific GS8 at one of the local shops I really like (it to is $1800) Everytime i go there I spend about 45 minutes on it. i like that guitar better then anything else I've ever heard.

ghostmouse859
07-23-2007, 11:36 AM
with a martin, or a taylor, you can drop an easy grand on an all solid guitar but most gibsons have laminated back and sides.

The Masterplan
07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
with a martin, or a taylor, you can drop an easy grand on an all solid guitar but most gibsons have laminated back and sides.
really ?? could you give a link to such a gibson ?
but i guess back and sides don't affect tone that much and you can have the advantages of laminate without compromisng in tone. right ?

gcasar
07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I think if you're spending under 2,000, it's best to go with a breedlove or a taylor. Past that price, you really should play the guitars... and I'd end up with a martin.

However, now that you all mention gibsons, my favorite guitar I've ever played is my best friend's dad's 1966 Gibson acoustic. But you can't just pick one of those up anywhere that are in such good shape.

ghostmouse859
07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
you can actually go on gibson's website and see the specs on most of them. The tops all say "Solid (insert top here)", but the back and sides just say what type, not if it is solid or not.

Tulkas
11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Gibson's don't really compare to Martin's or Taylor's.

Just like Michael Jordan doesn't really compare to Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady.

Gibson's are head and shoulders above them.

Last year about this time I set out to find the best sounding acoustic money could buy (price no option). I played virtually every standard model of Martin, Taylor, along with many other brands....... Nothing compares to the Gibsons.

GC Shred Off
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Gibsons generally carry a different sound and feel than the other two manufacturers. You can't beat a nice J-45. I love my Martin, but Gibson gets my vote. When I see Taylor on the headstock, I think "Martin that I can't take the electronics out of."

flightless bird
11-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I've played all kinds of acoustics, Gibson..Taylor...Takamine...Rainsong...Breedlove...all kinds, but honestly, and this is just my opinion, but the best guitar I've ever played is my Rogue dread. My Dad got it back in '83 for like $50, and I love it...the action's great, it has awesome tone, and really good sustain. I don't know where you would find one though...i

WaltTheWerewolf
11-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Taylor CE714!!! great acoustic! play in a band with another acoustic guitarist and if we are jamming before running into the PA, mine tends to drown his out. IMO it has a nice range of Mids.

baylewis
11-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Gibson's don't really compare to Martin's or Taylor's.

Just like Michael Jordan doesn't really compare to Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady.

Gibson's are head and shoulders above them.

Last year about this time I set out to find the best sounding acoustic money could buy (price no option). I played virtually every standard model of Martin, Taylor, along with many other brands....... Nothing compares to the Gibsons.

Gibson shouldn't make acoustics full stop

A Rolling Stone
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Wow guys hold the phone, whats with alll the Gibson bashing? PErsonally the best acoustic ive ever played was a gibson hummingbird. They are usually a bit overpriced but imo they ARE the best when compared to martins, taylors, guilds or whatever. And ive played the best from all of those brands and i just think that the gibson had them beat in sound and appearance when it came right down to it.

slidething31
11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Gibson acoustics, in my experience, are kind of hit or miss. However, a good Gibson slope shouldered dread is hard to beat.

captivate
12-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Taylors are the fullest? O_O I've never heard anyone ever say that before. The dreadnoughts are full, but I would think that Martins are the fullest. Iunno. It does depend on how you define full.

JezuzFingerz
12-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Wow guys hold the phone, whats with alll the Gibson bashing? PErsonally the best acoustic ive ever played was a gibson hummingbird. They are usually a bit overpriced but imo they ARE the best when compared to martins, taylors, guilds or whatever. And ive played the best from all of those brands and i just think that the gibson had them beat in sound and appearance when it came right down to it.
Yeah Im getting the hummingbird soon, the tone is so warm i love it
I actually don't like taylors it think they just arent as good as gibsons and martins

captivate
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
are you crazy!!!!!!????

Do you have a 814ce????
Course not, but do you have a Martin HD-28? I don't either, but I've tried both.

captivate
12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
but is the Martin more full? :p:

godspeed513
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
i dont like gibson acoustics personally they just dont measure up to martins or taylor.

personally, i play takamine, but if i had more money to spend, id go taylor

ikravchik
12-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Based on my unbiased personal experience I would rank these guitar manufacturers in this order Taylor, Martin,................. Gibson.

Everytime I come into a guitar store I always find a Taylor that outplays all the other guitars in the room. Taylors are louder, clearer, have better projection, better build quality (Martins under $1000 are inconsistent and feel very cheap) and appearance. The martins and gibsons just look too conservative and archaic.
I think the only thing that keeps gibson in the acoustic guitar market is it's name. Most gibsons I have played were awful, for the price they were charging. They just sound dull. I remeber picking up a gibson J-200 for $3,500 strumming it and looking at the headstock to make sure it was not an epiphone, so poor was its projection and bass.

Try the Taylor GS line, these are the best acoustics in the $2000 price range in my opinion. They are incredibly well balanced (people tend to criticize Taylor for lack of bass). Well the GS was made by Bob Taylor specifically to improve that. The bass especially in the GS5 mahogany/cedar is amazing!

ikravchik
12-05-2011, 01:20 AM
P.S.

I am really fed up with people praising Martins. Everything below a D-28, sounds very average. Martin has been milking the drednaught dry since the 1930's and quite frankly since then a lot of other guitar makers have made significant progress.

captivate
12-05-2011, 01:32 AM
4 year old thread. Wowza.