How to mix minor and major pentonic scales?

PDA

View Full Version : How to mix minor and major pentonic scales?

jroserocks835
07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help clarify for me how you mix minor and major pentonic scales while improvising. Thanks for the help

s/ash
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
well lets say you are in C major you can play A minor pent on fifth fret and C major pent on eight fret

Heavil
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I have no clue either. You probably have (I THINK) to play in major, and then you start a phrasing in major using a note or two that is also part of the minor, and then your are set in Minor pentatonic. Don't listen to me...:p:

phoenix_88
07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
major and minor scales have the same notes, just starting in a different location.

C maj pentatonic and A min pentatonic will have the same notes and therefore, you could switch between the two during your solo and get slightly different sounds due to the order of the notes.

so take your maj pent. and move down 3 frets then play min pent.
and that should work for switching between the two.

i could go more into the theory behind it, but i think that should be good enough for you for now...
sorry if that's not an amazing explanation if you need more, let me know

Dozza
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Phoenix_88 - is there more to it? If you can find the time tell me, I just thought it was simply this... relative minor of C major is A minor, relative of D major is B minor etc.

ECistheBest
07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
u play both A major and A minor when in the key of A. guitar world explained it in the july(?) issue.

phoenix_88
07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah that's pretty much it....
just i was assuming the original poster may not know what a relative minor is...

also the whole modes thing
major = ionian (root)
minor = aeolian (starts on 6th)
so they'll have the same notes because theyre essentially the same scale in a way.

Outside Octaves
07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, just remimber that the 5th of any major scale is the 1st of the relative minor scale. C major's 5th is A, so just find the nearest A and take off on the A minor scale. The Circle of 5ths comes in OBSCENLY handy in situations like this ;).

Dozza
07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Ah... fair enough, my mistake. Suppose it's a win anyway since I know it already.

phoenix_88
07-23-2007, 09:12 PM
u play both A major and A minor when in the key of A. guitar world explained it in the july(?) issue.

nooo.
you'd play a major if you were in the key of a major.
if you played a minor in the key of a major, youd have some weird ass notes lol.
you could play F# minor though...

edit: A is the SIXTH of c major.
the circle of fifths doesnt apply lol.
g is the perfect fifth of c.

Outside Octaves
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Huh..... C D E F G A B uh... damn..... all this time, LMAO! How embaresing!

Johnljones7443
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
nooo.
you'd play a major if you were in the key of a major.
if you played a minor in the key of a major, youd have some weird ass notes lol.
you could play F# minor though....

No, playing A minor in the key of A major is perfectly acceptable. The sound of playing a minor pentatonic scale over a major progression is a sound that defines a lot of blues.

Playing the minor pentatonic over the corresponding major chord or chord progression gives you lots of alterations to work with - assuming our progression is a standard IV7 - V7 - I7 progression.

Say we play Cm pentatonic over a F7 - G7 - C7 progression. Over F7, our notes give us the 5 - b7 - 1 - 9 and 4 of our F7 chord, outlining an F9 (F11) chord. Over G7, we outline an altered dominant chord - we have the 4 - #5 - b7 - 1 and #9 of our G7 chord, and over C7, the minor 3rd in our pentatonic scale starts functioning as a very common alteration in blues, the #9. So we get a C7#9 chord (which inherently doesn't want to resolve as much as a straight up _7 chord would).

phoenix_88
07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
ah. yeah.
i was just thinking an A major chord with the flat 3 ringing over that is not very pretty.
my b.

Weaver_2008
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
If ur in the key of C and play an A min pent. ur still playing the C maj pent, just a different pattern.... U CAN play the C min pent in the key of C, lots of blues players do that, it gives it a really rough feel....but sometimes it doesnt work. Thats how u can switch between, u can play a pent in C and then in A and that switched between major and minor.

Dozza
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
So... is that... if you do play an A minor scale in the key of A... will it sounds bad or not?

ECistheBest
07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
in a key of A, A major pentatonic, or the A minor pentatonic scale would both work. some people mix both the scales up, and have one really big scale with like 7~8 notes in an octave. it's a bit different from dorian mode too. but some people who use this A minor/major scale is: Joe Perry (Walk this Way), Angus Young (You Shook Me All Night Long), Clapton (Crossroads with cream), and some of that sort. it was popular among guitarists in the late 60s 70s. i believe stevie ray vaughan uses this too.

Dozza
07-23-2007, 09:59 PM
So the flattened 3rd note will not sound bad?

I'll have to have a mess around.