Fender Californian?

PDA

View Full Version : Fender Californian?

Drefen
07-24-2007, 05:35 AM
I need some help getting the specs for a Fender Californian acoustic or any information at all. I have been all over the web and can find the California Series with its various models but the label on this one specifically says the model is Californian and it is on the headstock as well. Serial starts with 02 and it was made in Korea but that is all I know.

Again, its not the Malibu, Kingman or Sonoran (current Cali models). The Headstock has the Fender Logo followed by a Californian logo and the label says Model: Californian.

I cannot find anything on this model anywhere and I know it exists cause it sitting here next to me.

Anyone?

roamingbard13
07-24-2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.fender.com/support/acoustics.php

That has all of the acoustics ever made by Fender.

Drefen
07-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Thats just it, it not on the Fender site. Here, see for yourself.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/Drefen/Fender002.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/Drefen/Fender003.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/Drefen/Fender005.jpg

TobyFellrunners
07-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Is it me or does that guitar look really odd with an electric style headstock?

Sorry, haven't got a clue man

faramarz
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
A nylon string guitar with that kind of headstock! Are you sure it is not a fake Fender? I havenít seen Korean-made Fenders before?

Drefen
07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
A nylon string guitar with that kind of headstock! Are you sure it is not a fake Fender? I havenít seen Korean-made Fenders before?

Nah, not nylon. I just strung it with some new martins.

I have an email in to Fender. Maybe they can help. I am getting different information from all over the place.

Thanks for the input.

Drefen
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
What timing.

I just got a response from Fender. Part of which included the following

Comments: Not many details on this guitar. We only found out about it
from a consumer who purchased one and sent in a picture. Acoustic
guitars, imported from Japan from about 1982 to 1985, then imported from
Korea from about 1985 to 1992. The guitar was originally sold as a Pack
with a Gig Bag, Strap, Strings, Picks and a Fender T-Shirt. No
information on pricing and some specs are guessed at from the photo.
Introduced: 1992/1993?

arthd
12-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey anyone got any more info about this guitar? I'm looking at the same one, and am also having a hard time finding any info.

A Rolling Stone
12-26-2008, 09:25 PM
It looks kinda fake...
But if not i would not really recommend a Fender acoustic, unless you have a high budget you won't be gettin much and even then they aren't exactly the "Cream of the Crop"

anniemcu
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
We picked up one of these some years ago in a pawn shop, looking for a small guitar for one of the kids, who then, predictably, lost interest. It's been sitting around in it's padded travel case ever since, providing shelter for dust bunnies. Tonight I dug it out to see what shape it was in, with the plan of selling it to a neighbor. It's really pretty nice for a cheapo, and with a slight shave to the nut and bridge, it could be pretty sweet. I figured that the iconic headstock was just a way for the company to tap the cheap seats, and now see that I was right, though it seems it may not have been Fender that did so. Looking it up to try to find the current pricing brought out that it's probably not a Fender at all. However, the electric style headstock is used by Fender for their California series. Not "Californian" ... just "California".

Oh well. The neighbor may like it anyway.

nruete
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Is it me or does that guitar look really odd with an electric style headstock?

I too have a Fender (?) Californian - I picked it up partly because of the head stock. When I was in High School in 19#@ my sister's boyfriend came back from a tour in 'Nam playing for the USO (I guess I just gave away what decade #@ stands for) with a Fender Acoustic Dreadnought with the Strat peg head. Thought it was the coolest guitar I ever saw. And I think they're going back to that on some models - think I saw one in the acoustic gallery at a guitar store in North Carolina.

I love my Californian: 1) it's small and light and 2) it's pretty much indestructable and 3) it's not worth much, so it goes everywhere with me. Plus 4) it has the same cheap, tinny sound as a $1000 Gibson Bluesmaster - I've been known to use it on a gig where I could have taken a "real" guitar just because I wanted that blues sound.

And I have to disagree with anniemcu - I have played a lot of low-cost Fender acoustics and find that $$$ for $$$ they are better than most low cost - I bought one for the "house guitar" for our church's praise band - for under $250 I got active pickup, good sound, good playability, and a (cheap) hard-shell case.

coldwar
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I just got one of these a few weeks ago- paid $175 to a "sell from basement" wheeler-dealer. When I played it, there was just that something- I had to have it. It sounds and plays amazingly well for what looks like a cheap kid's guitar, but I'm not sure that's what Fender had in mind. Could it be a Parlor Guitar? I can understand it costing too much for a beginner, and it's lacking in "classiness" to be a success as a Parlor Guitar. Anyway, I have told a few people if I ever had to get rid of every guitar but one, this would be the one I would keep!

2008 Dell' Arte Hommage DH-1
'80's Fender Californian
1975 El Degas GB25 Dove
2005 Eastwood Ichiban
1973 Yamaha FG-230
1954 Silvertone Lap Steel
McNally Strumstick
1905 Lyon & Healy Mystic Banjo