so im gonna start studying and playing jazz

PDA

View Full Version : so im gonna start studying and playing jazz

jpgilbert701
07-25-2007, 11:27 PM
what are some good beginner songs to learn that will give me a solid foundation to practice on and maybe go ahead and throw in some harder songs to. thanks.

dragon77
07-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Same here. Ive been getting into some jazz lately, and would like some help finding a good practice regiment.

I have personally been trying some Return to Forever and attempting some Gregg Howe

NotAJock2Day
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Learn to read music, get "The Real Book."

7angels7plauges
07-25-2007, 11:39 PM
"play misty for me"

jpgilbert701
07-25-2007, 11:44 PM
i can already read music. i play guitar already bu just not jazz so im trying to expand my horizons

purplehaze245
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Learn to read music, get "The Real Book."

i think were talkin about the same book but if you can read music get "The Real Easy Book". the one i have is purple and has a lot of jazz songs with improv stuff for begginers...good stuff

VR2005
07-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Transcribe your favorite solos and then analyze them. This is the fastest and most thorough way of becoming a sufficient improviser. Also, learn lots of tunes, so don't just transcribe the solo do the whole thing, and learn to sightread music.

As far as group musicianship goes, comping is the number one. A good jazz guitarist that can comp very well and compliment the soloist well will get SOOOO many more gigs then the flashy ones. Trust me.

Now, for beginners here a few videos by Fred Hamilton who teaches jazz performance at the University of North Texas and is quite a brilliant man musically speaking. Go to www.Daddario.com and go to artist lessons and search for "Fred Hamilton". I suggest watching every video and taking everything to heart, because these are basic skills that need to be learned. I hope your journey through the jazz world is as inspiring and eventful as mine has been so far.

Cheers :cheers: