Stevie Ray Vaughan blues help!

PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Ray Vaughan blues help!

blues112
07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
I love SRV's music, he is simply my favourite of all time.

I'd like to compose my own songs that are in the style of SRV, just as if he was composing them. How do i go about doing this? I'd appreciate your help,

Cheers,
Dave :)

qotsa1998
07-26-2007, 08:04 PM
let's see....if u want his sound, he normally played a Fender Strat w/ 13 gauge strings. He had a pretty thick sound, so a tube amp is in order. I suggest listening to his songs alot and use common chords and scales he used in his songs. he also played some wicked fills in his songs, and used 12 bar blues progressions alot.

allstrats726
07-26-2007, 08:09 PM
^good advice, also keep in mind that he played with his fingers.

you also would probably want to look into players that influenced him, like hendrix and albert king.

blues112
07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Thx for the quick replies,

Im more interested in the actual style than the setup. I really love the stuff he does, he can take a chord and make a song out of it. What sorta chords should i play to play like him? Im pretty much fine the the scales, but its putting that together with chords that actually makes a song.

Any suggestions??

Riot Act
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Learn how to play his definitive songs IYO. Get them down like the back of your hand, and start tweaking them. And tweak that, and then that. Keep the sound, use the things he did (I.e. tube amp, etc) and if you keep tweaking what you have, eventually it will be all your own, and remind everyone of him. Because thats where it came from.

Hope i helped!

Blind In 1 Ear
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
^good advice, also keep in mind that he played with his fingers.

you also would probably want to look into players that influenced him, like hendrix and albert king.

he mostly played with a pick but he did use his fingers from time to time.

msierragtz
07-27-2007, 12:46 AM
He did many things such as :

G: -3h5p3h5p3h5-
In a hendrix style..

Also, you should check his phrasing , that's what makes srv unique

blues112
07-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Learn how to play his definitive songs IYO. Get them down like the back of your hand, and start tweaking them. And tweak that, and then that. Keep the sound, use the things he did (I.e. tube amp, etc) and if you keep tweaking what you have, eventually it will be all your own, and remind everyone of him. Because thats where it came from.

Hope i helped!

Thanks for replying,

What sorta songs should i tweak and how exactly do i go about tweaking them?

Tom S.
07-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Get familiar with the shuffle style of riffing, Pride and Joy, Testify, Cold Shot, etc. Then just play around with the blues scale, different rhythmic patterns, you'll come up with something.

Riot Act
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for replying,

What sorta songs should i tweak and how exactly do i go about tweaking them?

Just the songs that you like of his, your personal favorites...whichever of his songs make you go "THAT is SRV" (and if they all do, lol, then just pick your favorites)

Go about tweaking them by first of all learning them exactly, and when you know them so well you can play em in your sleep, you should start to notice similarities between them (ie similar runs, keys, etc.) and then start messing with em, change keys, cut riffs up, play it differently, add your own flavor, whatever you want, make it your song...and when you have a real good understanding of his style, itll be much much easier to incorporate his playing into everything else, and composinga song that he mightve written will be a piece of cake.

TUMFP
07-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I personally have, and recommend, taking a few notes on the "Couldn't Stand The Weather" solo. Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking.

blues112
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Just the songs that you like of his, your personal favorites...whichever of his songs make you go "THAT is SRV" (and if they all do, lol, then just pick your favorites)

Go about tweaking them by first of all learning them exactly, and when you know them so well you can play em in your sleep, you should start to notice similarities between them (ie similar runs, keys, etc.) and then start messing with em, change keys, cut riffs up, play it differently, add your own flavor, whatever you want, make it your song...and when you have a real good understanding of his style, itll be much much easier to incorporate his playing into everything else, and composinga song that he mightve written will be a piece of cake.

That's great advice, thx mate. What songs would you suggest i learn that i will see similarities in? :)

I'd love to hear more replies. :D

Jamingguitarist
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Make sure your Chops are up for the challenge SRV is fast brilliant and very aggressive player

Riot Act
07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
That's great advice, thx mate. What songs would you suggest i learn that i will see similarities in? :)

I'd love to hear more replies. :D

Hahaha, ya caught me. :D

Im not all too familiar with SRVs songs...ive heard lots and lots of songs by blues artists featuring him, and some of his songs with other artists, but i havent sat down and listened to his "must hear songs." Thats why ive been avoiding song titles, cuz im not real sure...

But, i would suggest that you start messin with his simpler songs, its a general rule that the less complicated the song, the easier it will be to mess around with...i say just dive in to the first song you wanna learn...and go on from there.

Hope ive helped!

blues112
07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Right i got it, so i gotta learn his simpler songs off by heart so i can play them without thinking, stuff like:

Cold Shot
So Excited
Mary had a little lamb
Pride & Joy

And then start noticing the similarities in the playing, then play parts of his runs and messing with his shuffles? Also should i learn the songs the whole way through? Im just a solo player currently playing in my bedroom so i dont sing.

I hope ive understood this right, let me know. :D

Riot Act
07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Lol, yep, learn em all teh way thru, and looks like youve got the right idea.

Haha, i was a soloist in my bedroom once and i told ppl i didnt sing either.

Turns out I can.

Give it a shot...prolly not while youre soloing at first-just hold a chord and try to hit it with your voice, but who knows? maybe you can sing like SRV too :D

Kartman
08-01-2007, 02:48 AM
It's all in the Blues, man. Just write some lyrics to the 12-bar blues and you're set.:)