Rory Gallagher Tone

PDA

View Full Version : Rory Gallagher Tone

real6
07-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I heard his song "Too Much Alcohol" and watched some of his videos on YouTube and he was amazing. I have to know how he gets that tone!

JJK
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Strats and Marshalls...I think.

real6
07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I can't mess around with my own stuff to get it?

JJK
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Well you haven't said what your gear is.

JJK
07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
And his sound isn't too complicated. It's just a distorted Strat. Nothing too abstract.

real6
07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a Epiphone Les Paul Special II and a Fender starters amp

EdgedInBlue
07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
You can try, his early stuff was just straight up Fender Stratocaster through Marshall Amps. His later stuff he used a few pedals and rack mounted things. The problem with your setup is that you only have neck two pick-ups, neck and bridge. Stratocasters have three (which I'm sure you know). His Stratocaster has 5-way switch in it which allowed him to take advantage of more tones by mixing the pick ups. You can get some really good blues tones that way, which I'm sure he did.

real6
07-27-2007, 02:01 AM
thanks, I guess I'll just have to mess around with what I've got

remotepart
07-27-2007, 02:06 AM
don't over do the distortion, and a touch of reverd ;)

the neck pickup is a great lead pickup, very bluesy.

ECistheBest
07-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Strats and Marshalls...I think.

no. he exclusively used Vox AC30s with a Treble Booster. Dallas RangeMaster might be the one.

his tone is very unique, but his and brian may's tone are similar. it's just a Strat on bridge through a boutique Treble Booster and through a cranked Vox AC30.

Gabel
07-27-2007, 05:03 AM
^Yeah.

Actually Brian May got his tone from Rory Gallagher, he asked what gear he used, so he got out and bought the same amp and pedal.

For a great Rangemaster copy, check out the Affectronix Brit Master:
www.stowned.se/affectronix

MrCarrot
07-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Yeah apparently Brian May asked Rory 'excuse me Mr Gallagher, how do you get your tone?' or something to that key. I dunno where those guys got the idea of him using Marshalls.

Earlier on in his career he used the Rangemaster through a cranked AC30, but later on he switched out the AC30s for assorted Fenders.

seljer
07-27-2007, 06:10 AM
and overwound single coils (Bareknuckle's set of them is called the "Irish Tours" for a reason), he was espescially a fan of the middle pickup, I believe he installed one into the Teles he used so he could get that tone you can with it in the Strats (but its mainly that one famous strat he's known for)

Flynn Amps
05-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Folks,
Rory used a Vox AC30 with a Rangemaster (treble booster) from '68-'73 then he moved to the Hawk booster with a Tweed Bassman or Tweed twin '73-'78 then he experimented with Marshall's, Ampegs, a Fender concert amp, all sorts of effects as well as the old Tubescreamer from '80 onwards. The one booster he used continually was the Hawk and we've cloned it from Rory's original with the blessing of Donal Gallagher. We've all the sordid details on our website including soundclips.
Thanks,
Stevie Flynn.

www.flynnamps.co.uk/hawk.html