Another blues beginner with some questions, plz help

PDA

View Full Version : Another blues beginner with some questions, plz help

d_byrne23
07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
So im making the big switch permanently. For some reason I've always been a major metalhead, but since exploring blues and the sub genres within blues, its something that I think about non stop. It has longevity in my mind unlike metal did.

So I have a strat that gets me the tone I want, I just sold my carvin tube amp. I want something small for the bedroom. I played a vox ad30vt with these settings and this is the tone i want. The amp does it perfectly.
http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/blues/classic-blues/details_199.html

So gear wise the strat and vox should be enough to get me going? Anyone else have any other blues forums as well worth telling? thanks guys. DB

captain_jack
07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, the strat and the vox should be good for a while. Hell, you may find later that you dont need anything else. Another amp that might be worth checking out, which I believe is similarly priced to the vox advt series amps is the Fender Blues Junior. I played through one last week and I must say I'm in love. The guy who owns it plays a fender mexi standard strat through it and it sounds incredible. It's not quite as versitile as the vox but if you want blues tone it has it.

TheDev01dOne
07-27-2007, 05:58 PM
If I were you I'd go for an all-tube combo not a hybrid. Like someone mention the Fender blues junior (I prefer Pro Junior though) is a great amp for the price. Or if you have a larger budget maybe something like a VOX AC30 or a Peavey Classic 30 or Orange Rocker 30..

The picking response of an all tube amp is much better for blues than a SS or hybrid amp.

Also an overdrive peda doesn't go astray for blues, like a Maxon OD9 or something more boutique-ish like the OCD or Crowther hotcake or MI Audio Blues Pro.

I think keeping it simple is the aim of the game, just search for that perfect tone in whatever amp and guitar combo you get and once you find it don't touch the knobs ever again.

d_byrne23
07-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Man im so stuck for amps..i was set on the vox..Ive went all tube before, and I really notice a major difference between tube metal amps and ss metal amps..but the cleans are so close in some situation

wholovesthesun
07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Go with the pro junior, I own it and I even was looking at that vox, but when I heard the sound from it I had to have it. It's perfect for blues, however you will need some pedals to get more sounds from it.

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 12:29 AM
money might be an issue thought, knowing how cheap the pro junior is, I need something small for my bedroom? What about the new fender champ 600? that little 6 inch speaker makes me wonder though

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 11:59 AM
bump

ECistheBest
07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
i personally think the little 6 inch speaker on a champ is too small, i felt it was way too boxy (sounding). i suggest a $400 Fender Blues Jr., which does great with blues, and it is a LOUD MOTHER****ER!!!. but for a budget, Pro Jr. is good too. but u don't get the flexibility of a Blues Jr.

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
do you know what im so ready to go cheap out on an amp like the champ or a vox vt, but im just gunna put some cash down on a blues junior, why settle for less, i just checked out clips and its identical to what I want..thanks EC :cheers:

ECistheBest
07-29-2007, 12:36 PM
^ur welcome. just so u know, i put in new speakers because the stock speaker wasn't too pleasing. but other than that, this thing can get LOUD. but with my new speakers, LOUDER!!! lol. has a nice creamy overdrive, and the cleans is spectacular.

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks man, im kinda new to blues, can you recommend me a song to start with, doesnt matter if its bb, buddy you name it, im a metal player (used to be), just something kinda slow and soulful?

ECistheBest
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
cold shot? it's a song by Stevie Ray Vaughan. it's cool.
also Texas Flood. SRV.
Rory galalgher has a couple. off the handle is a bluesy tune.
Clapton has some tunes he covered, like Outside Woman Blues, Stormy Monday, Have You Ever Loved a Woman, and such.

blues is awesome. nice soulful piece of music.

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah it is, I remember starting guitar as a teenager and being like, oh thats gay music blah blah..but then once i got good at playing metal it stopped doing iot for me big time, everything is so repetitive with it and by the book...blues just seems so complex, and soulful, and meaningful..like i just dont know how to put it into words, im sure most of you guys know what i mean lol...thanks again EC, workin on some songs as we speak, then hopefully soon enough I can get the blues junior and start improving..thanks again buddy:cheers:

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I had no patience so I called up and reserved a blues junior for tomorrow..im gunna try it out and hopefully buy it, its gunna cost me 485 canadian which sucks cause im in ontario so thats gunna end up being around 540 after taxes, Oh i wish i lived in the states. Pretty excited, thanks guys

05delstrat
07-29-2007, 02:15 PM
it depends on what kind of strat
a MIM
or am standard or what
if its a ****ty squier it will last you all of three days but if its an american or american deluxe or even better than your set.
as far as amps go i sould reccomend a lin 6 becasue the tone it very versatile and you can get a ton of spin from it

thats my two cents

d_byrne23
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Dude what the **** thread are you looking at? ^? I didnt ask a question about a strat, and I wouldnt go near a low end line 6 amp obv?