Learning to play 'Little Wing' by SRV - help!

PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play 'Little Wing' by SRV - help!

Dowzer
07-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Been trying to learn to play it for about a year now on and off. I keep busting up my fingers through bending high gauge strings. Bless me.

I've been using this tab... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/stevie_ray_vaughan/little_wing_tab.htm

Where it goes...

|---------------------------------|
|----------12-14b15==(14)r-|
|------14------------------------|

According to the tab do I play the string and bend AND play it again when I release it? Its the way I have been playing but I'm not sure.

I have tried to find out myself by listening to the track but I do not have any ears.

ItWillDo
07-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Try using Guitarpro / Powertab. That way you can see AND hear the tabs. It's much better in my opinion.

aseme
07-28-2007, 11:11 AM
bend up to 15 then release back down to 14.

HavokStrife
07-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Isn't that a rather extensive solo to worry about some goofy ass part like that?

Either way, you probably just hold the bend for a hot minute and then release.

Dowzer
07-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes but I have no friends or life which allows me to obsess over minute details. I am also freakishly tidy.

Cheers for the quickfire responses...

fender&gibson
07-29-2007, 06:18 AM
i think you should hold the 15 a bit longer and then there's the possibility to release back to 14 but it's not really necessary.

that's my view.

05delstrat
07-29-2007, 05:30 PM
wow dude i just learned that exact tab and performed it it was great, what i did for that part was pretty much just improved but payed respect for the way SRV plays it too just get the feel established and then just groove thats what i did. i didnt have enogh time to memorize the whole thing (long song) i put it off for a long time so i made it up you should deffinetly commit and learn it though it was a great hit. i raped the performance i nailed it.

|---------3---5b6==(5)r-3-5-(5)-3-------0-------------------------------0-----------------|
|-3s5-(5)---5---------------------5p3p0---3p0-------------------------0---3p0-------------|
|---------------------------------------------3p2p0---0-2b4==(2)-(2)r---------3p2p0---2h4-|
|---------------------------------------------------2-------------------------------2-----|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

for this part where its down on the low end of the neck make sure you get that whole part it is a killer riff it is my favorite part of the song

also
|---------------|-----------------------|
|---------------|--------------------12-|
|-12tr14--------|-(12)----(12)--(12)-12-|
where you just trill after doing another section of the fast part where your up on 15 benden to 17 and that it is very important it makes the song really groove if you have any more ?s about the song just PM me

Dowzer
07-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Thank you both for your replies...

I can honestly say it is my favourite song. I donít yet have competence to be able to wing it so Iíll imitate SRV until I can make it my own. It is on my list of things to do before I die, I donít say that to put off learning it now Ė it is just a realisation to do the song justice I am going to have to put several years of effort into it. When I can nail it I will die a happy man.

05delstrat Ė glad it went well for you, I really like the contrast between the subtle riffs lower down on the neck and the full bodied Ďsolosí when he mashes it on frets 12-14. The transition between the two is excellent the way it manages to hold the song together.

Pacifica112J
07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Check the Youtube video of SRV playing Little Wing, if you aren't sure what he's doing, exactly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAG-kX_IlUw

Dunno if that helped.

05delstrat
07-31-2007, 05:00 PM
yea it really is a beautiful song it is prob my favorite too. if you have a plan on when you want to perform it strat learning early
i didnt and it bit me later
but it didnt matter cause i was still able to get it off
it has got to be my favorite gig/performance ive ever done
good luck

Heavil
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
How long its takes you to learn this song? And at what rythm? I know it depends of the skills you already have and the number of hours you play and so on...

thanks

05delstrat
12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
it took me like a month of playing in like 30 minute segments all over the place and at the rythm that SRV plays it in his version

GD_GC
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
it will really, really help you to learn this if you know what he's doing. As in scales and stuff. If you can understand, it will make it a so much easier experience. I personally just learned the intro and some important parts and improvise the rest but ive always wanted to learn it for real.