Plywood guitars...

PDA

View Full Version : Plywood guitars...

LP Addict
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
i have a guitar made out of very very good looking maple ply. it weighs about 9 pounds, theres probably 10 to 12 of them. is that considered a "plywood" guitar and crappy? or are actual plywood guitars made out of like cheap wood?

TheDev01dOne
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Plywood is plywood basically. No matter what it's made out of.

It's not neccesarily a bad thing though.. I love the tone from my plywood guitar, very heavy.

Now prepare for about 100 n00bs to come in and tell you how crappy plywood is over and over again.

LP Addict
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
yeah im ready for it. im really digging the tone it gives. i sanded it down to a natural finish and to be honest the maple looks beautiful. sounds great. the edges where the plywood would usually be seen is a deep deep natural brown, so it looks very nice.

uldhppi
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Most 335 type guitars are basically maple plywood.

scott58
07-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Now prepare for about 100 n00bs to come in and tell you how crappy plywood is over and over again.

Ain't that the truth. If you love the tone that's all that matters.

Roidster
07-30-2007, 01:56 AM
hahahahahahaha plywood guitars,ive own many of them,thought they were great until i bought a real guitar,there great if you dont have a budget,trust me get a real guitar made from solid wood

Crunchmeister
07-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Well, generally speaking, plywood instruments don't sound that great. Generally, the really low end guitars are made of cheap plywood. However, occasionally you get one made of all maple plywood or some other decent tone wood. While they don't sound as good as the "same" guitar made of solid pieces of the same species of wood, they can sound decent. At least good enough for a beginner, which is who these instruments are geared at.

I bought this cheapo Renegade bass a few months ago to have for recording stuff. It played well and had nice action, and much to my surprise, its previous owner (who sold it to the guy I bought it from) used it to play in a Jazz band, and had installed Dimarzio pickups in it. And sounded great. I popped open the control cavity to inspect the electronics work, and saw it was made of plywood. I have no idea what species of wood it is, but it produces a pretty decent tone. I'm sure the pickups play a big part in that sound, but it still sounds good for the cheap instrument it is.

Now I actually started playing bass in a band, so I bought a better bass, but still plan on using my old Renegade for our downtuned songs and as a backup for my main bass. My Brice Z5 definately sounds better and has a much fatter tone and bigger bottom end, but that old Renegae still sounds decent even compared to the MUCH higher quality Brice. It can still get the job done if required.

LP Addict
07-30-2007, 02:19 AM
yeah i own 6 guitars now and this one tone wise is up there with the rest, its solid maple ply, it sounds good.

rockr09
07-30-2007, 02:58 AM
The right amp tweaked just right will get you a good sound out of any guitar with reasonably decent electronics. I kinda want to fix up this plywood guitar I have here with some stuff from GFS, and I want to stain it a natural finish. And make it string-through recessed tune-o-matic.

Becca138
07-30-2007, 03:06 AM
see it goes to show its all about how sumthin sounds to ya, man im sick of hearing people say agathis wood sucks for example. man both my axes r agathis and i dont see anything wrong with it, not like theyre super fancy guitars and theyve lasted rather well considering how clumsy i am. also the few times ive actully dropped em.