playing chords without a pick?

PDA

View Full Version : playing chords without a pick?

xgrlanachronism
07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
so i just started playing guitar around six months ago, and i have yet to attempt this.
however, i'm trying to learn "big girls don't cry", and i'd like to try to play the chords without using a pick.

does anyone have any tips for how to do this as far as technique? perhaps there's a site somewhere that helped any of you learn?

thanks!

GuitarHero0715
07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
grow your fingernails

jimtaka
07-31-2007, 05:54 PM
when i strum without a pick, i use the backside of my thumbnail for upstrokes and the backsides of my fingernails for downstrokes. it isn't necessary to grow out your nails if you do it like that.

Kartman
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
I just use the fatty part of my thumb and index and I get a really warm tone. When I do this, I strum mostly with my arm rather my wrist to get full strums.

joshmilesadrian
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
play from the first string up.. using your finger rather than your finger nail.. or just use a pick

wiggyisgreat
07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
I rarely play with a pick anyway, and always strum chords with my fingers.

dazzler16
08-01-2007, 02:13 AM
I use a flicking motion when I am simply strumming but I fingerpick alot to and I am bad at explaining these things sorry.

johnos
08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
I strum the same way as jimtake described. It the most natural feeling way that I found to do it

PLZKLLME0080
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
when i strum chords without a pick (cuz i never use a pick) i use my index, middle, and ring finger all at once strumming up and down hitting the string with my nails.

Trowa21
08-08-2007, 12:26 AM
when i dont use a pick, i use my thumb like i just do down strokes with my thumb fingerpad and upstrokes i use my thumbnail. doesnt play that loud tho so u prob need an amp if on gigs or somethin

AccidentsHappen
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
yeah, when i don't use a pick i just use the top of my finger nail, it's a pretty simple process tbh. it might hurt at first, once you get used to it, you don't even notice it.

spiroth10
08-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I strum up and down with the backside of th nail on my pointer finger -- works nice, and I actually get really consistent, natural strums like that, sounds as good as a pick for me.

ndakasimba
08-08-2007, 01:44 AM
^ what this guy said. i never ever use a pick.

EDIT: The song you're trying to learn is easy, I learned it a few weeks ago. I use my index finger and thumb to pluck the two strings at the same time. If you would like some more info on how to play the song, send me a pm and i'll get back to you.

-edgar

CorduroyEW
08-08-2007, 05:10 AM
when i strum without a pick, i use the backside of my thumbnail for upstrokes and the backsides of my fingernails for downstrokes. it isn't necessary to grow out your nails if you do it like that.

Thats what I do too. With my work I have to keep my nails very short and I've found that unless I'm trying to play classical, it's much easier to play with short nails.