Help with my blues tone please

PDA

View Full Version : Help with my blues tone please

d_byrne23
08-04-2007, 11:11 PM
So I did end up finally getting a blues junior, Im very happy with it..however right now I have a decision to make guitar wise, I dont have a big budget at all...heres the tone im after:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dImRG4tleDc

I know thats not really blues, but its the tone im after..is it the hollow body that gives it that kinda bright crisp tone. I dont have much money, would something like an epiphone dot do it..or any recommendations? thanks guys

p o e
08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
idk.. i get my blues tone with a les paul on the neck pickup on a marshal amp on heavy distortion :P

d_byrne23
08-04-2007, 11:26 PM
ive tried les pauls and strats and its nto really doing what I want, maybe blues tone isnt the word, just click that video guys, see how its just a soft tone with no peak notes..damn man its so hard to explain, but i think the hollow body is whats doing it for me

TheDev01dOne
08-05-2007, 05:33 AM
What kind of guitar do you play?

Probably go neck pickup and roll the volume off a bit and the tone back. Add some reverb if the BJ has it, that will help soften things out a bit.

The hollow body would be helping with the tone a bit but you should be able to get close enough without one.

d_byrne23
08-05-2007, 07:00 AM
i play a strat, horrible pickups, i was thinkin about upgrading, whats the softest sounding single coil that can give me that tone?

d_byrne23
08-05-2007, 02:34 PM
bump, anyone else know or have a suggestion?

JvL
08-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Youtube is down... well at least here...
But for some sweet bluesy single-coils you might wanna take a look for:

Swineshead Pickups ( www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk)
Lace Sensor Gold
Lindy Fralin Pickups

EDIT:

Youtube works so a better advice coming up...
The Lindy Fralin will do the job but they're kinda expensive and the Lace's will do just as good or even better...
The only complainments I've ever heard about Lace Sensors are that it are pickups without feeling but in my eyes it's the guitarist and not the pickups that do that job...

BUT... IF you live in Europe I would definitely advice you the Swineshead Spotlight (or firefly) above the previous two...
Soundfiles on the link I've mentioned above ;)
Swineshead Pickups are custom made but because you can't buy them in a shop but directly from Swineshead itself (which sends them for free to the entire Europe) they're still aren't expensive (less expensive then a Seymour Duncan or an other brand pickups and almost 1,5 times as cheap as the Lindy Fralin's)

You could finally also have a look for Seymour Duncan's... on their site they have a nice tone-wizard that selects the 3 pickups that suits you the most... so have a look ;)

Sound-reference's:

Lindy Fralin: Try to find some stuff by Joe Bonamassa (if you like Blues you might even like him!)

Lace Sensor: Eric Clapton (at least... his signature strat has Lace's)

Swineshead: The website mentioned above ;)

Seymour Duncan: ...well depens on the pickups you'll choose but Slash uses their Humbuckers (but you're searching for single's... so let's have a look)
The guys of Lynyrd Skynyrd...)

noah22791
08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
bump, anyone else know or have a suggestion?

I play an american strat, with DiMarzio pickups as fallows

bridge: HS3
middle: HS2
neck: HS3

These are all noise canceling and I find them very versatile, and great for blues.

d_byrne23
08-05-2007, 04:59 PM
honestly im a retard, i finally spent time tweaking the blues junior with my strat and using it in the neck position with some reverb on my amp. its exactly what i was looking for. much thanks guys...

dr_john
08-06-2007, 11:22 AM
you might want to consider a set of fender texas special pups for your strat, improved my tone no end.

claptonfan55
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
idk.. i get my blues tone with a les paul on the neck pickup on a marshal amp on heavy distortion :P
me too, except I have an Epiphone Dot, and I'm not on really heavy distortion

ECistheBest
08-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Lace Sensor: Eric Clapton (at least... his signature strat has Lace's)

no dude. EC strat has Vintage Noiseless now...

for ur strat, get a good sharp set, cuz if u roll back a good tone pot, u can get a softer sound.

the video's guitar sounds bassy. turn up the bass and roll back the treble.