Great slide guitar blues songs

PDA

View Full Version : Great slide guitar blues songs

matt bickerton
08-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Can anyone recommend me some great slide guitar blues songs

I just think they sound absolutely awesome.

that is all

s/ash
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
traveling riverside blues

noah22791
08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Rollin' and Tumblin (famous by eric clapton and cream. also on his unplugged album)

if you like zep: In my Time of Dying

also check out Derek Trucks (his songs are under Derek Trucks Band). In my opinion the best slide player around these days. He is truly mind-boggling. He plays almost every song in open E.

punkrock4all
08-05-2007, 01:57 PM
idk if youd count this as blues, but bad to the bone

GLP_Arclite
08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
White stripes -> death letter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roB6SJTibfY

slide pwnage

BKR
08-05-2007, 02:07 PM
gnr - you aint the first

5kuzgib
08-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Statesboro blues = slidegasm

opivy21
08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I Can't Be Satisfied - Muddy Waters
Death Letter - Son House

Almost all of Robert Johnson's songs were slide, I believe. I know that Blind Willie Johnson is considered the most technically proficient slide guitarist.

TheDev01dOne
08-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Look up Dave Hole. He's an australian blues guitarist/singer. My favourite slide player by far.

Rory Gallagher was also a kickarse slide guitarist.

TheHeartbreaker
08-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Basically listen to The Allman Brothers Band, and any song that exhibits a slide is going to be a slide masterpiece.

Derek Trucks also has some great material in The Derek Trucks band.

Also, Hound Dog Taylor is a very good Blues slide guitarist.

captain_jack
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
traveling riverside blues

QFT

also Dust my Broom by Robert Johnson/Elmore James/ZZ Top

ECistheBest
08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Derek Trucks is crazy. if you're just getting into slide guitar, he's way too insane. i'd love to play like him though.

Same goes to Duane Allman. although he has some simple yet awesome slide riffs. ie: Statesboro Blues, One Way Out, and that kinda stuff. but what he "can" do was different. layla's outro was played with his slides going past the frets, with him creating more frets!!! he's so cool...

Rollin' and Tumblin' is cool. but clapton got some other slide songs on Unplugged too.

Rory Gallagher is very good at slides. i love how he goes insane with Bullfrog Blues and such songs.

ledhed68
08-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Dust My Broom-Elmore James
Death Letter Blues-Son House
Statesboro Blues-Taj Mahal/Allman Brothers

If you really want to take your slide playing above and beyond, try to get some influences from other than just the blues, given it's basically a requirement to have a blues background for slide, but also check out some Sacred Steel like Aubrey Ghent and Robert Randolph and like Derek Trucks, check out some Eastern Music like Ravi Shankar, Ananda Shankar, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, and Ali Akbar Kahn. Even get some jazz in there, I find it pretty easy to get some Miles into my slide playing, or someone of that sort for beginners.

opivy21
08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
John Fahey and Leo Kottke play awesome slide guitar. I wouldn't call their styles blues, but they're definitely both blues influenced - especially Fahey.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BcR_npDy6CQ - Fahey
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tew_fIhz3eY - Kottke

claptonfan55
08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Check out songs by Johnny Shines, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Son House, Elmore James, Allman Bros., Jimmy Dillon, and Rory Gallagher.

ledhed68
08-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Also another way to go above and beyond in your slide playing, play as if you are singing. Basically try to imitate the human voice in your slide playing. Derek Trucks has a lot of gospel voice influence in his slide playing for example. This can also be applied to normal playing, this is what my jazz guitar teacher stresses a lot.

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2007, 09:44 AM
layla's outro was played with his slides going past the frets, with him creating more frets!!! he's so cool...

That's because the frets are only there for reference with slide guitar playing, so as long as you're playing on the string you'll hit a note, but whether it's sharp, flat, or perfect is a matter of how well you know the instrument and technique for slide.

wholovesthesun
08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Early Muddy Waters songs have some great and easy slide licks you can learn from.

shredmeiser101
08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
ry cooder-vigilante man (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YJuV48VQDqA)

meh!
08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Dust My Broom-Elmore James

Dust My Broom is just briliant cause the band is clueless.

You listen to the Bass player, and acuse Elmore James is just singing what he wants to sing, then playing what he wants to play - he just changes chord anytime. And you hear his bass player like " bum bum bum cha- bum bu-change bum bu- cha- -wait- bum change"

It's great.

BigDoug
08-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Early Muddy Waters songs have some great and easy slide licks you can learn from.

Thats because Muddy is God....him and apparently Clapton too