The Blues Brothers - True Blues?

PDA

View Full Version : The Blues Brothers - True Blues?

tyronelab
08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I haven't any background in listening to Jazz and Blues, although I have always wanted to see what they were like. The nearest I believe I've came to Blues is The Best of the Blues Brothers album and the Blues Brothers films.

I'd like to ask if this is what blues sound like and if anyone could recommend some albums/artists which has a lively upbeat sound similar to the Blues Brothers.

Sorry if I should have just used the list of Jazz albums above but it was quite daunting since I didn't know who to choose incase Jazz wasn't what I thought it was.

Its_Rock77
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
im not really sure, but ive heard "soul man" (and sang it, :haha), and i dont really think the blues brothers are blues at all. i might be very wrong, though.

claptonfan55
08-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I think they would be better described as rhythm and blues artists, not blues.

meh!
08-08-2007, 03:53 AM
They cover soul songs and a few blues songs, though even those are made to sound more poppy and souly (like sweet home chicago)

Don't let anoyne tell you they're not good though :p

They assembled a great band, for the film at least- I don't have the CD. Steve Cropper and Donald Dun FTW!

opivy21
08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
The Blues Brothers were great but, like everyone said, they're more R&B and soul than anything else.

tyronelab
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
When you say R&B I assume that R&B of old was different from the R&B which is popularised on modern media or have I just not listened?

meh!
08-12-2007, 10:50 AM
When you say R&B I assume that R&B of old was different from the R&B which is popularised on modern media or have I just not listened?

Yeah, R&B used to be Rythym and Blues. We still have the contraction, but what it stands for bears little bearing now.

sinan90
08-12-2007, 11:07 AM
The songs that are in the films are mainly soul numbers and the band of musicians were from the MGs, from memory.

SAK0577
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Go check out "Briefcase Full of Blues". Theres some geniune stuff on there. Matt "guitar" Murphy was a great player. Shotgun Blues is a great blues song.

ufossuck
08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
The movies would introduce you to some real blues musicians. The first one featured an appearance by John Lee Hooker, one of the greatest bluesmen there were. The second included quite a few real bluesmen as well as soul and R&B musicians. Near the end of the movie a collection of famous artists play "How Blue Can You Get?" Among them are B.B.King, Bo Diddley, Jimmie Vaughan and Charlie Musselwhite. These are true bluesmen. Eric Clapton was also in that scene. Many people consider Clapton to be in the blues genre, but I consider him to be rock.

Encore_God
08-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't really care. It's fun, it's entertainment! They did a great service in providing mainstream exposure for blues artists in a lean period for the music, kick-starting the 80s blues revival and also in writing some superb one-liners. ;)

Jackolas
08-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I haven't any background in listening to Jazz and Blues, although I have always wanted to see what they were like. The nearest I believe I've came to Blues is The Best of the Blues Brothers album and the Blues Brothers films.

I'd like to ask if this is what blues sound like and if anyone could recommend some albums/artists which has a lively upbeat sound similar to the Blues Brothers.

Sorry if I should have just used the list of Jazz albums above but it was quite daunting since I didn't know who to choose incase Jazz wasn't what I thought it was.

Jools Holland, all the way!

deluxity
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
rythm and blues, not blues...

still, they're amazing

specially with minnie the moocher (by cab calloway)

kenny16
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
rythm and blues, not blues...

still, they're amazing

that's right,
if you wan't to hear real blues listen to B.B. King, Buddy Guy, or sometimes even Clapton, most he is rock but he covered many blues songs too