Robben Ford

PDA

View Full Version : Robben Ford

redwing_suck
08-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering how many people out there have heard of/enjoy the bluesy greatness of Robben Ford.

He's a pretty big name in the blues world but gets very little publicity as far as I can tell. He most definitely has his own style and can rip and phrase with the best of them. Back in the day (80s/90s), he played with Gregg Allman ("Gregg Allman and Friends") and sometimes plays with the Allman Brothers Band during their Beacon Theatre run every March.

Anywho...

meh!
08-12-2007, 10:52 AM
"Rip phrases with the best of them" Man, he outshines the best of them :p

Definitely my favourite guitar player...his phrasing is just so fantastic, seriously, it's the best part about his playing. Also, his bands always rock. Roscoe Beck on bass? Damn right.

Handful of blues and Talk to your daughter are my favourite albums. Talk to your daughter is there mostly because of the song "Aint got nothin' but the blues"

I have a video of them live playing that, at the montreaux jazz festival. Roscoe beck on bass, it's just amazing.

johnny_tapia
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Bump!

I only have his Handful of Blues album, but it is pretty amazing :cool:

meh!
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah it is, really great.

You should definietly find and listen to 'aint got nothin' but the blues' (not "he don't play nothin' bt the blues'. You'll seriously love it, GREAT feel great playn...

Nick_
03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
The stuff he did with Bill Frisell in particular is fantastic.

johnny_tapia
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah it is, really great.

You should definietly find and listen to 'aint got nothin' but the blues' (not "he don't play nothin' bt the blues'. You'll seriously love it, GREAT feel great playn...
I shall have a look for that then :)

nightraven
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
i tried out one of his blues albums a while back and remember that i didn't like him very much, i think i'll try it out again now that i see all this praise :p:

johnny_tapia
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
It's time this Forum had a busy Robben Ford thread :p:

I am loving his Live in San Fran album at the moment. Damn good stuff :cool:

TNfootballfan62
06-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Robben Ford is quite good. :D

House_OfBlues56
06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I can't say enough about robben ford
All i know is that he deserves an SRV level of recognition.

I love Ain't got nothin' but the blues, and Start it up

INDUSTRIALMETAL
06-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Very smooth player with some sensation phrasing. I love this stuff.

johnny_tapia
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
God damn Rugged Road is amazing :cool:

JilaX^
06-17-2008, 10:28 AM
My cousin burnt me his favorite Robben Ford tracks on a CD, barely leaves my stereo! (Except when I bring it in the car ;))

Hemani Co
08-20-2008, 05:47 PM
He's a different class all together from a lot of players. Like mentioned before on this thread, his phrasing ability is just phenomenal. If people think playing at speed is a technical feat, then Robben Ford proves it's just as difficult and remarkable to do the opposite. Afterall, no one's impressed with a fast singer, but a singer who has no boundaries expressing his music vocally are the real deal. Robben Ford does exactly that but simply on a different medium, being the guitar.

Any gave a listen to his fairly recent album 'Truth'? A slight unorthodox take on the blues genre, but nevertheless staying faithful to the core and also retaining his wonderful playings styles.

TNfootballfan62
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I've been listening to Handful of Blues for the last little while. Really spectacular stuff. :)

slidething31
09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I never really dug his stuff all that much. I haven't heard much though... What would you recommend?

JilaX^
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
All the stuff he did with The Ford Blues Band, I'm a much bigger fan of that then what he did with the Blue Line.

johnny_tapia
09-08-2008, 06:29 AM
I never really dug his stuff all that much. I haven't heard much though... What would you recommend?
Handful of Blues album :)

TNfootballfan62
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
^Agreed. It's absolutely fantastic.

master
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
My friend's aunt is married to him. He gets to jam with him all the time. He has yet to introduce me though.:(

HoneyFUZZ_123
09-09-2008, 03:47 AM
I love his style, i think he is really underrated compared to some of the big names out there. His version of ain't got nothin but the blues is def an all time fav for me

JilaX^
09-09-2008, 05:55 AM
My friend's aunt is married to him. He gets to jam with him all the time. He has yet to introduce me though.:(

Is that a joke?

If not, you better force your friend to introduce you :haha:

meh!
09-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Seriously... the guy hasn't been over here in years, i'll probably be in my 30s before I can go see him. We have the largest arts festival in the world and the lazy bastard still doesn't leave America :p:

Anyway I can't decide wether I like the Blue Line or the Robben Ford Band better. I think the players in Robben Ford Band are better, but Robben Ford was better playing with the Blue Line.