punk distortion pedals?

PDA

View Full Version : punk distortion pedals?

stuportrooper
08-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm getting togther with a few guys to start a punk band but i cant decide on what kind of distortion to get for my guitar. We're going for that LA/nardcore punk kinda sound.

I was gonna go up to the store and just try out of a few but man i get so intimidated by those crazy ass peeps who fly on their guitar and all i can do is a few short riffs.

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but if any of you guys could give some suggestions that'll be great.

spiroth10
08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
for punk, especially hardcore, any metal distortion pedal will work fine.

and seeing as tone isn't really important to most hardcore music, a cheap Dano FAB Metal distortion pedal might work out for you. They're only like $20...

although pretty much any heavy sounding pedal will work fine.

ss311
08-19-2007, 12:36 PM
You don't need a pedal.

sugarland24
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
use ur amp... those petals always sound thin... i only use them for recording

waterproofpie
08-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal. It's sooo nice. A new one costs about 90 bucks but I got mine used for about 40.

But as said before, you don't need a distortion pedal. They're just nice to have

ss311
08-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Delay is always useful to add some sheen to your sound. Sorry, I wasn't very helpful before. Look for a delay pedal, or even a multi effects pedal like an old zoom, which you can find for around 20 bucks I'm sure.

FireItUp714
08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
a simple Boss DS-1 would do it i think...just check effect pedal company's websites...they usually have sound clips. Boss has a really nice website set up with all these interactive soundclips, its pretty cool.

lolmnt
08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
a simple Boss DS-1 would do it i think...just check effect pedal company's websites...they usually have sound clips. Boss has a really nice website set up with all these interactive soundclips, its pretty cool.
I have a Boss DS-1 and it works pretty good. You dont really need a one, but its fun to mess around with. They can also give your songs a cool sound, I use mine alot

Wookiedude
08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I use a Digitech Hot Head pedal and it works perfectly for hardcore if you have humbuckers. The only thing it wont do is make that uber distorted sound for metal and whatnot.

Zardokk
08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a Boss DS-1 and it can help make some nice sounds. You can mess with distortion and tone...that's really all you need.

llanafreak44
08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal. It's sooo nice. A new one costs about 90 bucks but I got mine used for about 40.

But as said before, you don't need a distortion pedal. They're just nice to have

No offence, with you being a mod and all :p: , but that is a terrible pedal. You're better of with a DS-1 threadstarter, but no pedal is going to be as good as a real cranked valve amp.

waterproofpie
08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
No offence, with you being a mod and all :p: , but that is a terrible pedal. You're better of with a DS-1 threadstarter, but no pedal is going to be as good as a real cranked valve amp.

I'm sure there are better pedals out there but I have no complaints with it..plus it was a gift. And you're the first person I've ever heard knock it!

hutchkid12
08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Just use the amp's overdrive channel. Or if your amp doesn't have that then you're screwed because most distortion pedals are crap. Except for Big Muffs and Tubescreamers.

SuperBlob
08-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I use a Digitech Bad Monkey, and it's pretty damned good. It's overdrive though, not distortion. But I get a good classic punk sound out of it, so it's all good.

llanafreak44
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm sure there are better pedals out there but I have no complaints with it..plus it was a gift. And you're the first person I've ever heard knock it!

Seriously? You've obviously never been to the Gear and Accessories sub forum!

ss311
08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Wll, if waterproofie gets a satisfactory tone out of it, then all is well. I suppose that it's to o with emulating a soun we aspire to an if it sounds good to the owner, then that is the pedal for them.

BrianApocalypse
08-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Aye, llanafreak is right, the metalzone is not a particularly nice pedal.

It's pretty hard to get a good thick tone out of it, and its either balls to the wall thrash metal distortion or nothing. If you pay good money for a piece of equipment, anyone not sick in the head needs to pick something responsive and versatile (like the Marshall Jackhammer, which is used by Trash Kittens guitar player Mokie Shadow!)

Unless they have a one track mind, that is :)

That said, almost all pedals sound crap, cheap and thin. Except some of the Vox tube ones, like the British Bulldyke, it's actually fairly decent. Tubescreamers are okay, although I was let down when I borrowed one, and the Big Muff is nothing more than a big load of muff.

Anyways, it's like I say, distortion ain't punk, cause punk should be raw.

However, if you insist on your pedal, check out the Marshall Guv'nor, which supposedly replicates a driven tube amp, or the afforementioned Tubscreamer.

The Marshall Jackhammer gives you a decent bang for your buck. The mid tone has a freq feature, which changes the location of the mid boost from low down and bassy (around 150 Hz) to the high end cutting sound (about 2,500 Hz) It's good for Peter Green era Mac stuff, it can do a great Johnny Thunders, to a pretty darn accurate Green Day sound (rock and roll!) and it can do über-sick distortion, which is an über-sick idea. So that's what I'd recommend! :)

The distortion option is a bit toneless and flat though, but I guess that means at least it emulates a distortion unit! tee hee :p:

Don't go for a digitech pedal though, they are seriously crap.

waterproofpie
08-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Seriously? You've obviously never been to the Gear and Accessories sub forum!

meh, as long as I like the sound and I can get it at a decent price, I don't really care. There's a reason why I don't spend 24/7 in those sub forums..I'm mostly on UG to discuss music I listen to, not the crap I've bought.

the glue man
08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
My uncle has a bunch of pedals and Ibanez ones are actually pretty good sounding, I liked them at least. There was another brand name he had but I completely forgot the name, vague, I know.

UMadeMeRealise
08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
The biggest part of the tone is a cranked valve amp. Get that, a Boss DS-1, and you're golden.

pinheadslts75
08-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I <3 my Boss MT-2

Though really, I just typically use my amp's crunch channel, and sometimes the overdrive with mid-range scoop.

FireItUp714
08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
yay! people agreed with my advice!...but seriously check boss's website and listen to the soundclips...whatever you like best, buy. I personally am fine with my amps overdrive but ive always liked the ds-1

original=punk
08-20-2007, 12:33 AM
seriously, what do you need a pedal for? use your amp!

even if you use a solid-state amp, greg ginn used one, he HATED tube amps.

**** pedals, you'll be wasting your money, IMO
if you cant get a decent sound with your amp, then maybe you should just get a new amp.

FireItUp714
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
ya i somewhat agree, but a distortion pedal can be a nice quick fix, and once you get a better amp, it still has tons of uses and comes in handy.

original=punk
08-20-2007, 01:09 AM
i guess, i unno, i'm anti-pedal.

FireItUp714
08-20-2007, 01:13 AM
yea i personally dont own any pedals and i like the sound im getting. But im assuming TS doesnt want to spend 300-1000 dollars on another amp so im standing by the DS-1

original=punk
08-20-2007, 01:18 AM
ah, i use a randall 50-watt all tube,

its so fricken bass-heavy.

i seriously have to turn off all the EQ settings but treble full up and then its tolerable.

i want a hiwatt half stack =(

pnkrockfishermn
08-20-2007, 01:21 AM
i thought that it was a established fact that you dont use anything besides a guitar and amp to play punk. eh...

llanafreak44
08-20-2007, 02:03 AM
i thought that it was a established fact that you dont use anything besides a guitar and amp to play punk. eh...

Dude, your name is so awesome, I love it!

But anyways! The only good pedals, are effects, EQ, and overdrive. Anything else is usually not good. In my ears at least.

Sid McCall
08-20-2007, 02:51 AM
The DigiTech Grunge is by far the best for all styles of punk, imo. I used it for everything, back in the days of my ska/punk band.

lavazza
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I nearly never play without distortion, but i don´t need a pedal, the only thing I need are 3 channels

pinheadslts75
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
The DigiTech Grunge is by far the best for all styles of punk, imo. I used it for everything, back in the days of my ska/punk band.

Oh god.

That is without a doubt the worst pedal I ever used.

aperfectshot176
08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I use the Digitech Deathmetal pedal, its a bit of an over kill but with my amp its sounds amazing for my horror=punk and hardcore punk ****.

bucky_2300
08-21-2007, 01:06 AM
There is always room for good old Marshall overdrive.

Sid McCall
08-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Oh god.

That is without a doubt the worst pedal I ever used.
I've since stopped using it, but after I spent some time with it, I got some great sounds with it. I guess it depends on your guitar and amp, really.

Th3Br3w
08-21-2007, 01:15 AM
for the hardcore sound I wanted for my punk band and my straight hardcore band I found a lot of versitility in the zakk wylde distortion pedal and ebay has some ppl who sell them cheap all the time

Rancid_Punk
08-21-2007, 03:02 AM
for the hardcore sound I wanted for my punk band and my straight hardcore band I found a lot of versitility in the zakk wylde distortion pedal and ebay has some ppl who sell them cheap all the time
Quick, name one type of guitar equipment Zakk Wylde DOESN'T have his name on!
Now that's a game where nobody wins.

ss311
08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Zakk Wylde?

Why are we discussing him?

original=punk
08-21-2007, 10:59 AM
cause stoner metal is tr00 punx

BrianApocalypse
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I had a go on the new Fender Bassman '59 pedal today.

It is unbelievable. Turn everything up to ten and crank it. Instant rock and roll.

Even better than the '59 bassman model on the Vox ADVT series! :)

FireItUp714
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
really? im kinda skeptical on amp modelling in pedals, but i havent tried any so i have nothing to base that off of. Ill take your word for it though. I gotta try it out.

recklessnick
08-22-2007, 06:51 AM
i have a boss ds-1 but i find it useless and it sounds the same with or without it straight through my marshall amp. but it does reduces feedback because usually i use alot of gain