Dog afraid of guitar, please help! :)

PDA

View Full Version : Dog afraid of guitar, please help! :)

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi,

So my dog is extremely afraid of my guitar. He won't come near it. When I play it, he will hide in a corner or under a bed. When I play it in the garage downstairs, he can still hear it more than humans (damn dogs and their excellent hearing, lol). This, yet again, causes him to hide under a couch and whatnot. I am tired of playing down in the garage, because that requires walking up/down stairs. I would really like to be able to play while sitting on the couch in the living room.

So far, this is what I've done to get him to not be afraid of the instrument: I lay a treat down on the floor, and as he runs towards it, I move it closer to the guitar. I give him a treat 3ft away from the guitar, then the next time at 2ft, then 1ft, then finally I lay the treat on the guitar and let him take it off. He is very hesitant about it, but he eventually does it. Then he runs away and hides under a bed ( :no: ). What can I do to make him not be afraid of it?

The dog's ears are near perfect. He can tell the difference between live sound and recorded sound extremely well. He isn't afraid of the music I play on my computer (metal, hard rock, techno, etc), but he's still afraid of my guitar on both the clean and the overdrive channels. Even if I don't plug it into an amp and play quietly, he still is afraid of the sound.

Anyone have experience in getting a pet used to your instrument? Please share :D

Y00p
08-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, I think it's only natural.

Amps put out a huge deal of different sounding harmonics. Some of them which are so high, we can't even hear them. Your dog does though, and if it's loud, I can totally understand why he's afraid of it.

crust_punk
08-23-2007, 04:18 PM
You must improve your playing. ;)

demea
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
LOL.
My Jack Russell does the same thing when I plug in.

Boz0r
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM

ZING!

I think you're on the right path, though. How long has the dog been afraid of the guitar, and how long have you been trying the treat-trick?

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm trying to, but I've only been playing for a month and a half. I can play the intro to "Wish You Were Here" pretty well, and he's still afraid of that :(.

Y00p: I don't turn up the amp up at all. I play at the lowest possible volume at which I can hear it, so the neighbors won't get pissed. The problem is, even without an amp, the dog can hear it.

EDIT:

Boz0r: I've been doing the treat trick only for a bit. I used to have the guitar at home, and when I saw that he was afraid, I moved it to the garage. Now it's back at home, because I'm tired of going to the garage when I want to play. If I want to show something to friends or parents, I would have to take them to the garage, which they would be too lazy to walk to >.< I'm going to continue the treat trick I think.

P.S. Forgive my grammar, English isn't my native language.

Y00p
08-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Y00p: I don't turn up the amp up at all. I play at the lowest possible volume at which I can hear it, so the neighbors won't get pissed. The problem is, even without an amp, the dog can hear it.
I think it's not so much your dog hearing it while your playing without being plugged in, or at low volumes, but more that the dog linked the guitar to the horrendous sound (you ma have) once produced from your amp. They do it with leashes and walking, balls and playing, hand gestures and punishment etc.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I think it's not so much your dog hearing it while your playing without being plugged in, or at low volumes, but more that the dog linked the guitar to the horrendous sound (you ma have) once produced from your amp. They do it with leashes and walking, balls and playing, hand gestures and punishment etc.

Hmmm, yeah that could be it. The first time he saw it, it was plugged in and my dad was trying to play a tune on overdrive :(. His previous owner had an electric guitar as well though, and he played it at home, so I don't know. Maybe the previous owner beat him up with a guitar or something >.<

Either way, however he became afraid of it, I need to reverse that to the point where he can play it (well, not really, but you know what I mean).

Y00p
08-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Haha, could be, but not so likely. Who would damage a guitar like that... :rolleyes:

;)

Axis337
08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I guess theres only one option left... Kill your dog.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I guess theres only one option left... Kill your dog.

I know this isn't a serious response, but how can you kill this:

http://i9.tinypic.com/66df2pu.jpg

uldhppi
08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
If you would have started playing while the dog was born you may have had some hope of getting the dog to not run from it. Not gonna happen now.
It's not the guitar its afraid of. The sight of the guitar acts as a stimulus. He associates you picking it up with the sound that frightens him. Don't worry about it. It won't kill him and after a while it won't severly stress him. He will probably continue to hide when you pick it up.
My cat used to do the same thing.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
If you would have started playing while the dog was born you may have had some hope of getting the dog to not run from it. Not gonna happen now.
It's not the guitar its afraid of. The sight of the guitar acts as a stimulus. He associates you picking it up with the sound that frightens him. Don't worry about it. It won't kill him and after a while it won't severly stress him. He will probably continue to hide when you pick it up.
My cat used to do the same thing.

We picked him up from his previous owners (who are our friends, they had to move somewhere where pets weren't allowed) when he was 3.5 years old. +I only got my guitar last month, so yeah. If he doesn't get better, I'll just do what you said. My parents feel sorry for him tho and will probably tell me to stop if he starts shaking lol.

Tackleberry
08-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Its just a dog thing. I have a pit bull as soon as I put the strap over my head and strum a chord he trots off to the other room. Dont have to be plugged in or anything. Just like dogs are afraid of all sorts of crazy things. Its the lack of understanding where the noise comes form I think. Not much you can do about it.

weirdjohn87
08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
maybe it's a higher frequency that's pissing him off. If you run it through a digital something-or-other with a sampling rate of about 22 Khz (more common than you think, but it's changing), that would get rid of those frequencies. Of course, maybe that's not it at all. :)

Axis337
08-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Easy, pistol and a shovel.

Seriously though, what kind of guitar is it?

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:50 PM
maybe it's a higher frequency that's pissing him off. If you run it through a digital something-or-other with a sampling rate of about 22 Khz (more common than you think, but it's changing), that would get rid of those frequencies. Of course, maybe that's not it at all. :)

I might try that. I am getting the cash together for an RP150.

Axis337: Check my sig for my gear. Don't laugh, I'm a noob and couldn't afford anything more expensive =) My friends and people from other forums suggested this gear for a beginner. +reviews on it were good.

Lightitup
08-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Haha that's funny. Yesterday I was playing all loud with my wah and my cats ears were going all different directions and he almost ran.

Yeah, they just gotta get used to it really.

Axis337
08-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Ugh an Ibanez RG2EX1? No wonder he's so scared. I'd be scared too.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Ugh an Ibanez RG2EX1? No wonder he's so scared. I'd be scared too.

lol, I don't know. It sounds very nice (I love the pickups over the other budget guitars). My amp is crap though, so I'm getting the digitech thing probably (I know you people will say that I should buy a VOX but I seriously can not go over $150).

malibuclc
08-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Its just a dog thing. I have a pit bull as soon as I put the strap over my head and strum a chord he trots off to the other room. Dont have to be plugged in or anything. Just like dogs are afraid of all sorts of crazy things. Its the lack of understanding where the noise comes form I think. Not much you can do about it.Exactly. I got my dog when he was a couple weeks old, and he was always deathly afraid of my acoustic. Literally scared the **** out of him once. I tried the treat thing too, but didn't really do much. 6 or 7 years later when I pick up the guitar and strum a chord even unplugged he usually gets up and goes to another room. But now he'll come back and just chill out. Lays right next to me while I'm playing. Just takes some time I guess.

eXperiment63
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Hmmmm..... My doggy sits here and watches me practice. Amp high, low, off... don't matter. She loves sittin in front of me watching me play. Then when I start singin she starts howling, it's rather cute actually. ;)

BTW, I have a pit.

ShaunFrusciante
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi,

So my dog is extremely afraid of my guitar. He won't come near it. When I play it, he will hide in a corner or under a bed. When I play it in the garage downstairs, he can still hear it more than humans (damn dogs and their excellent hearing, lol). This, yet again, causes him to hide under a couch and whatnot. I am tired of playing down in the garage, because that requires walking up/down stairs. I would really like to be able to play while sitting on the couch in the living room.

So far, this is what I've done to get him to not be afraid of the instrument: I lay a treat down on the floor, and as he runs towards it, I move it closer to the guitar. I give him a treat 3ft away from the guitar, then the next time at 2ft, then 1ft, then finally I lay the treat on the guitar and let him take it off. He is very hesitant about it, but he eventually does it. Then he runs away and hides under a bed ( :no: ). What can I do to make him not be afraid of it?

The dog's ears are near perfect. He can tell the difference between live sound and recorded sound extremely well. He isn't afraid of the music I play on my computer (metal, hard rock, techno, etc), but he's still afraid of my guitar on both the clean and the overdrive channels. Even if I don't plug it into an amp and play quietly, he still is afraid of the sound.

Anyone have experience in getting a pet used to your instrument? Please share :D

my dog is the same but he runs when i go to pick up my acoustic :rolleyes:

Axis337
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
lol, I don't know. It sounds very nice (I love the pickups over the other budget guitars). My amp is crap though, so I'm getting the digitech thing probably (I know you people will say that I should buy a VOX but I seriously can not go over $150).

Haha, no I'm just kidding... I'm also an RG owner... unfortunately :(

latinosuperstud
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
dont get digitech(?), line 6, or marshall mg series amp... the reason we dont recommend them is that you could get better for the same price, and the quality is ****.... if you only have 150 id suggest either a fender champ, epi valve jr, or one of those portable vox amps (or the 15 watt version for twenty dollars more than your budget) :peace:

and i think the dog is afraid of the unexplained noise, also why most dogs are afraid of thunder storms/ sirens

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 05:10 PM
dont get digitech(?), line 6, or marshall mg series amp... the reason we dont recommend them is that you could get better for the same price, and the quality is ****.... if you only have 150 id suggest either a fender champ, epi valve jr, or one of those portable vox amps (or the 15 watt version for twenty dollars more than your budget) :peace:

and i think the dog is afraid of the unexplained noise, also why most dogs are afraid of thunder storms/ sirens

Not a digitech amp, a digitech rp150 (multieffects processor). I know about MGs and Line 6s. I read the forums more than I post :)

Tweak88
08-23-2007, 05:11 PM
well my dogs doesnt do that. when they come close to the amp i play some high notes and harmonics just to see how they react, but they only stare at the amp with a despise look on their faces

and they are not deaf lol
one of them can "feel"/listen to a bird landing in the backyard when the door is closed so....

latinosuperstud
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Not a digitech amp, a digitech rp150 (multieffects processor). I know about MGs and Line 6s. I read the forums more than I post :)
in that case i would suggest the korg toneworks more than the rp 150... i like that multieffects much better, try it out if you can

LP Addict
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
my dog lays in front of my amp and my kick drum when im playing guitar/drums. i think he might be retarded.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
in that case i would suggest the korg toneworks more than the rp 150... i like that multieffects much better, try it out if you can

Could you link that one to me? Does it come with an output to speakers/headphones? Also, does it have a usb connection?

Dave_Mc
08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
the same thing happens with my sister.

latinosuperstud
08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=toneworks

all nice choices... they dont have the usb connection, and im pretty sure your amp has a spot for headphones....

teegee420
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm trying to, but I've only been playing for a month and a half. I can play the intro to "Wish You Were Here" pretty well, and he's still afraid of that :(.Not a Floyd fan I guess. Clearly your dog has no taste! By the way, congratulations for deciding to learn to play. I did the same thing a year ago. Hope you stick with it. :headbang:

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Not a Floyd fan I guess. Clearly your dog has no taste! By the way, congratulations for deciding to learn to play. I did the same thing a year ago. Hope you stick with it. :headbang:

I try to practice every day for an hour or two. Training the dog this week though, so may not play as much.

One Way Ticket
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Its pretty easy to kill ugly dogs.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Its pretty easy to kill ugly dogs.

Move along, mister :)

Storm_Bringer_
08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
i hate all dogs but i mean come on, it practically has a moustache, it's already a god in it's own right

CORT noob
08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
The previous owner probably had a really nice axe, so he trained the dog to be deathly afraid of going near it.

Zofar
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Dogs run from your sister? no wonder you won't post pics. :rolleyes:

Edit: to make this not spam, My two cats don't really care if I'm playing or not, and they surely don't run from it. if you can, try recording your playing and see if your dog runs from that, because he doesn't run from recorded music, right?

Axis337
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Yeah mine too, every time there is lightning storm or loud noises that she doesn't know where they are coming from, she gets scared and confused and we have to lock her in the cage.

gucio93
08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
It's exactly the same with my cat. If I'm playing guitar or even moving it somewhere he backs away and stares at it like O_O

I've tried putting him on it to see if he would freak out and he wasn't THAT scared, he jumped off it though.

SiKh22
08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
i think u should act like the dog and run under the bed. Let the guitar ring out, and run and have the dog with you. So he can learn not to be afraid, you show him to come out.

Axis337
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Thats the stupidest idea I've ever heard SiKh

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
i think u should act like the dog and run under the bed. Let the guitar ring out, and run and have the dog with you. So he can learn not to be afraid, you show him to come out.

One of the fold out couches I have is his favorite spot. I can't fit under it.

Axis337
08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh oh.

Ok, trap him in a small dark room/closet. And play the guitar non-stop for hours until it becomes like, natural to him.

Wait thats kind of mean. :(

SiKh22
08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
i didnt say it to be funny, like show the dog that he doesnt have to be afraid. Sometimes u have to do things with them, the dog will then understand why hes doing that. Or else the amp might be hurting ur dogs ears even though its on low(Dogs excellent ears). play with him and show not be afraid but not force. you know? you might have to just leave him be free

Axis337
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Just keep playing and ignore him, eventually he'll get used to it.

SiKh22
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh oh.

Ok, trap him in a small dark room/closet. And play the guitar non-stop for hours until it becomes like, natural to him.

Wait thats kind of mean. :(
ok thats animal cruelty, dont say about animals. They are living beings just like us, and deserve every respect we do. They just like to have fun more

MuffinMan
08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Anyone have experience in getting a pet used to your instrument? Please share :DMy cat just sleeps while I practice. Usually on my bed, and I have a pretty small room. Click the amp on, play at acceptable (read: the walls aren't shaking) levels, she doesn't even bother to look in my direction. I think your dog's just a pansy, man. Just practice while he's in a different room or something.

Axis337
08-23-2007, 07:37 PM
ok thats animal cruelty, dont say about animals. They are living beings just like us, and deserve every respect we do. They just like to have fun more

Err, I wasn't really serious.

KolosoK
08-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I bought him new training rewards today so I'm going to try that. Going to start practicing again tomorrow I guess.

ratm92
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
buy your dog a guitar and have him jam with you, that way maybe he'll become accustomed to it faster and then youll also have a playing partner. its a win win situation if you ask me

al3ksandar
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
i had the same problem when i first got my dog, i jus didnt care about it, and then after a while my dog got used to it

Tenacious J
08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Try a different amp

DefectedFromGod
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I play guitar around my dog all the time, and he doesn't care. It's only when a drummer AND a bassist is present that my dog clings to my mom's bed 2 floors up (we are LOUD!).

Axis337
08-23-2007, 10:20 PM
buy your dog a guitar and have him jam with you, that way maybe he'll become accustomed to it faster and then youll also have a playing partner. its a win win situation if you ask me
ahahahah

0Billie0Joe0
08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Easy, pistol and a shovel.

Seriously though, what kind of guitar is it?

lmao :p: :p: :p:

Manny21
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM

If dogs had myspace, that would definitely be a default.

MetalMusicianAl
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
y dont u try using headfones. my cat usually just stays in my room when i play and sleeps, i dunno how she can sleep while im blasting my amp

KolosoK
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
y dont u try using headfones. my cat usually just stays in my room when i play and sleeps, i dunno how she can sleep while im blasting my amp

He's afraid of the guitar w/o anything plugged into it as well (as in, he can still hear it from the other room even if I'm not using an amp).

Alright, so basically I got an RP250 yesterday and recorded a section of Voodoo by Godsmack. He was deathly afraid while I was recording it, but when I played the recording (which sounded just like the live sound to me) he didn't mind it at all. I'm kinda looping it to hear the mistakes I've made, and he's sitting behind me on my bed >.<

I'm still continuing the treat trick.

Axis337
08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
You were recording Voodoo by Godsmack??? Are you trying to traumatize him for life?!

Have you gone mad?!

jmag
08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Well, I think it's only natural.

Amps put out a huge deal of different sounding harmonics. Some of them which are so high, we can't even hear them. Your dog does though, and if it's loud, I can totally understand why he's afraid of it.
That's reasonable, but for instance, my dog is afraid of my nylon string guitar. Like, he came near it, smelling it and all that, and I finger-picked the low E gently, he ran like hell and wouldn't ever come near the guitar, even without it being played.

Sometimes dogs just resemble chickens.

neptune1988
08-25-2007, 08:03 PM
I would say it is not an issue of fear persay. Well, I mean it is. Sort of. Your dog may either be annoyed by the frequencies of the guitar, or it may be that he (I'm assuming it's a he) can't sort out what the source of the sound is. If your dog can figure out and comprehend the difference between the amp (obvious source of sound), and the guitar, then you may want to get an amp that allows you to plug earphones into it. This way you can still play and won't be annoying your furry little friend. If he can't, then try to find a way to help him understand. Like maybe showing him that if you play unplugged there's no sound, then turn on the amp, let it sizzle or whatever for a few minutes, to get him used to it. Then plug in. Let it sizzle and then play. Do this a few times. I know it sounds cheesy but hey, it worked with my dog.

LazySandman
08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
eventually the dog will get used to it
I remember the first time i was playing with my old band at my friend's house as soon as i started playing the dog shat all over his floor

aseme
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't see the problem here.

Nebjy
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
My dog used to hate my guitars and my keyboard, but she got used to it after awhile.

But all dogs are diffrent so nvm

TSelman
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
My dog licks my amp...so...I think he doesn't mind...

KolosoK
08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
You see, he knows where the sound is coming from. I think that's why he's staying away from it.

SkyValley
08-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Weird. I play pretty loud in my room while my dog's sleeping on my bed and he doens't even wake up. He still hates things like vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers, but guitar doesn't bother him.

We_Are_The_D
08-25-2007, 11:53 PM
whyen i bought my squier bullet strat, my dog committed suicide. my other dog didnt commit suicide when i got my gibson tho

KolosoK
08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Weird. I play pretty loud in my room while my dog's sleeping on my bed and he doens't even wake up. He still hates things like vacuum cleaners and lawnmowers, but guitar doesn't bother him.

Yeah, see... mine doesn't mind vacuum cleaners because he's been around them since he was little. :\

At the above poster: I'd rather not have my dog commit suicide.

Llamai
08-26-2007, 12:48 AM
My cat does this same thing with my phone...whenever I try to take my phone out to take a picture of her, she bolts like it's some sort of demon about to kill her....she did not used to do this either >.>