Tabs for Left handed Guitarists

PDA

View Full Version : Tabs for Left handed Guitarists

tm1776
08-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi there I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. My uncle wants to start playing from tabs (he usually plays chords) but he's always had problems reading tabs because he is left handed. He was trying to explain to me that he has to switch everything around when looking at tablature. Does anybody know if theres some kind of website out there that has tabs for left handed players or some sort of converter? Thanks

The red Strat.
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
i'm left handed too and i don't see the problem your uncle could have ?? :confused:
you do mean this kind of tablature :
e------------
b---------
g------------
d------------
a-------------
e----------- ?

tm1776
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
yeah thats it. Honestly when he explains to me that everything is reversed and it takes him forever to read tabs I dont understand. To me it would be the same. :confused:

zackk
08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
are you talking about how the strings are on tabs. like the top string is on the bottom and the bottom string is on top. it makes no difference whether you're left or right handed, its just the way tablature works.

Doc5678
08-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeh the only thing that *is* confusing for a lefty is chord diagrams, since the strings are backwards, but being a lefty myself, I've learned to read them without too much hassle. Tab is not "handed" in that way, so if he knows chords there is really no problem for him as far as reading tab goes. If he is using tabs from a book where recurring chords are marked at the top for reference, he should have no trouble identifying fingerings from the right handed diagrams and recalling the chord shapes during a song.

Raziel2p
08-25-2007, 12:27 PM
If he got himself a left-handed guitar, the tabs would be the right way.

Black-Metal
08-25-2007, 12:43 PM
i'm lefty
he should have no problem reading tabs.
like a lefty would have no problem reading from sheet music either.
chords are are a pain but easy to get used to.

guitar_freak93
08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
The strings are in the same order whether the player is lefty or righty, and plus, tabs are all numbers!!! Numbers aren't left handed or right handed!

copet
08-25-2007, 10:30 PM
You wont find "lefty" tabs, tell him to suck it up.

Logz
08-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Tabs are correct. You dont get left and right handed tabs.
Has he just turned a right handed guitar upside down?

Slinov
08-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Has he just turned a right handed guitar upside down?

theres your problem...methinks

icronic
08-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Just a thought, but a lot of people who are new to reading tab have trouble reading them because the low note is on the bottom of the tab, but the low E string is the top string of a guitar. Basically the strings are vertically flipped.

So no, there are no left handed tabs, nor is there a need for them (and speaking as a left handed player, I know that with certainty). There are left handed chord charts though, but I'd suggest that any lefty just learn to read the right handed ones.

tm1776
08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
he never convinced me that tabs were different for him to read than it is for me. I could never understand his point but then he asked another guitarist and finally realised that its not different for him being left handed. He had that misconception for like 30 years lol.

xTJx
08-27-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm left and I have no problem playing tabs. It's just numbers as you read right to left. It's no different if you were right handed actually.

Kylster
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I have to wonder, is he Dyslexic without you knowing? I know it's a stretch, but Hell, it's possible.

I guess since he understands them now, it won't be so hard to read for him. Guitarists can improve at any age.

Butsku
08-28-2007, 05:02 AM
I he has a left-handed guitar, there should be no problem reading any tab. It took me some 15 minutes to get used to the inverted string order in all tabs, but its logical when you get familiar with it.

eXperiment63
08-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Haha, this thread makes me think of left-handed screwdrivers! ;)

Horlicks
08-28-2007, 08:02 AM
put your strings on the other way round.
what guitar do you have?

JA-37
06-18-2013, 10:12 PM
NEVER THINK ABOUT USING LEFT HAND TAB!!! IT IS STUPID!!!

Do you read ENGLISH from LEFT TO RIGHT???

Do you read SHEET MUSIC from LEFT TO RIGHT???

Do you read them UPSIDE DOWN???

TAB IS NO DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

High string is at the top of the TAB.....

Right hand guitar HIGH STRING AT THE BOTTOM !!!
Left hand guitar, HIGH STRING AT THE BOTTOM ALSO !!!!! Imagine that....

NEVER WRITE TAB OR CHORDS ANY OTHER WAY........ OR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL GET SCREWED UP in the long run.... THROW AWAY ANY SOFTWARE THAT HAS LEFT AND RIGHT HAND CHORD PATTERNS.... STUPID STUPID STUPID,,,,

TEACH THE LEFT HANDED PEOPLE PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THERE IS NO LEFT OR RIGHT ISSUES EVER!!!!
IF YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO TEACH LEFT HAND PERSON THE PROPER WAY, LET SOMEONE ELSE TEACH THEM THAT KNOWS!!!!!!!!

Chord diagrams, HIGH "e" on the right, LOW "E" on the left. NUT or LOWEST FRET NUMBER TOP, highest fret number bottom!!!!!

Thousands of songs tabbed out one way,,, NOBODY NEEDS TO HAVE ANOTHER SET OF FILES TO GET SCREWED UP OVER ...

I AM LEFT HANDED@@@@@@@@ IT PISSES ME OFF TO SEE THIS IGNORANCE STARTED UP!!!!!!

I play many instruments, and teach a lot of left handed people, TEACH WHAT A GUITAR IS... Then WHAT EACH PART IS..... THE RIGHT NAMES GOES A LONG WAYS!

Highest string closest to the floor when holding guitar, called string #1 as you go up to the next string it is called #2, it is a lower tone than the string #1..........

Get this, if you hold the guitar properly, if you move your fretting hand down the neck toward the guitar body, you go up in tone, and if you move your fingers down from the thick string to the thinner strings you also go UP again.......

Is there a left hand piano on the market somewhere, I play piano but I am left handed.

P.S.

As I teach RIGHT HANDED PEOPLE, in the first couple weeks depending on how much they practice or how much time I have with them, THEY TOO GET CONFUSED IN THE TAB AND CHORD DIAGRAMS.... IT IS NORMAL!!!

Also note the tab reads left to right LIKE ENGLISH as follows;

Highest string at the top....
e|----- Note the lower case e is the top line, it signifies the HIGH e string (thin string).
B|--0- The zero is a string played OPEN.
G|--1- This means the first fret is pressed down.
D|--2- The 2nd fret....
A|--3- The 3rd fret.... and so on...
E|--- Here the upper case E is the low E string (thick string).

Lowest string is at the bottom....

Diagrams can be made very easy for left or right hand people to understand WITHOUT making the diagram left or right... If a left hand person faces the guitar with the neck upward toward the diagram they instantly see it properly.

Learn before you teach, then learn HOW TO TEACH! You students will impress you and be grateful!

JA-37
06-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I teach a lot of people, and I have run into several who got off on the wrong foot because someone tried to draw up chord charts BACKASSWARDS!!!!!

I just can't stress enough to JUST SAY NO TO LEFT HAND TAB!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

SpiderM
06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Well he's had another 6 years to practice (since last posting) so probably no need to shout at him so much :shrug:

steven seagull
06-19-2013, 03:41 AM
We already established that there's no such thing as "left hand tabs" 6 years ago.

Don't bump ancient threads just to rant, don't double post abnd lay off the caps lock.