Question re: cleaning a guitar w/out glossy finish

PDA

View Full Version : Question re: cleaning a guitar w/out glossy finish

fsb_ben
08-25-2007, 12:07 PM
What would one use? I have microfiber cloth buuut my Martin D15 is still a bit dirty from the previous owner so I was wondering what to use on a "satin finish" i believe its called?

lawinnn
08-25-2007, 12:37 PM
You should wait a while...I asked the Martin Company through e-mail about this yesterday.
I was wondering whether it was ok to use their Martin Polish on my D-16 Gloss Top.

As for a Satin finish, I asked if a warm, damp cloth would do, followed by a soft, dry cloth to immediately dry it out.

I asked how to clean a Satin finish because the back and sides of my guitar are Satin finished.

fsb_ben
08-25-2007, 12:40 PM
You should wait a while...I asked the Martin Company through e-mail about this yesterday.
I was wondering whether it was ok to use their Martin Polish on my D-16 Gloss Top.

As for a Satin finish, I asked if a warm, damp cloth would do, followed by a soft, dry cloth to immediately dry it out.

I asked how to clean a Satin finish because the back and sides of my guitar are Satin finished.

Excellent, I look forward to their reply! Thanks man!

Dix_Fix
08-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi My Maton 225 "Natural Series" is a natural looking finish (looks like it has NO coating) & Maton say to take a warm sudsy rag & clean it thouroughly , making sure to dry as you go not leaving any dampness. Also deffinatly no polish , oil, cleaning cloth (if impregnated), or any other substance that might ingress into the timber. It even says to be careful of sweat. A warm soapy rag is safe on any guitar, as long as it is followed by a dry rag.

LeftyDave
08-26-2007, 08:32 AM
A perfect cloth for cleaning satin finishes is a lambskin chamois(pronounced shammy). You can have two of them. One slightly damp with mild soapy water, wrung out thoroughly to wipe it down, and another dry one. If you wring out the wet one good enough, the little bit of water on the exterior of the guitar will evaporate almost immediately, making the second unneeded. I use one, and it's flawless everytime.
The best part is that they won't leave behind any fibers like a cotton towel will. I also have a couple of those "microfiber" towels, and they even leave lint behind.

lawinnn
08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Those planet waves microfiber towels are good, just make sure you don't get the ones pre-treated with kind of cleaner. doesn't sound safe.

still waiting for their damn reply. Martin always takes long.

Dix_Fix
08-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey LeftyDave I realise that they sell lambskin as chamois but chamois is a specific animal see below pic I.E. a Chamois.

The word chamois has become like a generic heading for anything that has chamois like qualities. Like the lambsskin/sheepskin or the plastic "chamois" they sell in any car shop or cheapo shop (they only cost $2 & work fine on guitar) but the long & short is if it aint a Chamois skin it cant be a chamois.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Dix_Fix/Pics%20UltimateGuitar/750px-Rupicapra_rupicapra_0.jpg

lawinnn
08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
It is same to use the Martin Guitar polish on our satin finishes. You can use it on the top, back, sides neck and the rest of your D16GT

Mike
Consumer Customer Service
C.F. Martin & Co. Inc.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 4:25 AM
To: Customer Information
Subject: Question about D-16GT.

The employee at Guitar Center told me, I can clean the finish and the rest of the guitar with a warm, damp cloth (Also recommended by Martin's "Care & Feeding" pdf.).

He also told me that my guitar had a 'matte' finish, and it didn't take your Martin polish. I looked on your website for information on my guitar, D-16GT, and it said 'Polished Gloss' for the top, and 'Satin' for the back.

What the employee told me over the phone, is it true? Is it safe to use your Martin finish on my D-16GT?

thank you very much.

here's the polish:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_martin_guitar_polish?full_sku=100079290

lawinnn
08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
^^That's still so ****in vague. I am gonna ask them if a warm damp cloth followed by a soft dry cloth is ok for Satin and Gloss finishes.

fsb_ben
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree. See what he says about my D15.. does that have a different finish than yours?

lawinnn
08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
No, it's not different from my D-16GT, because the although the top of my guitar is polished glossed, the back and sides are Satin-finished.

I might as well grab some of that polish until he answers back. Which will take like two days, I swear.

Dix_Fix
08-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Dont put polish on it if it has a satin finish use a warm sudsy rag just wring it out give your guitar the once over & if it is at all damp wipe it off with a towel.

lawinnn
09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi,

Here are some general care and cleaning suggestions for your Martin. The best way to clean your guitar is with a warm, damp cloth. This will remove harmful chemicals. Your guitar is coated in the highest grade finish available and is sensitive. Any type of solvent, especially those found in plastic, vinyl and leather straps, will mar the finish, as will alcohol, citric acid, aftershave lotion, insect repellent and a number of related substances. Perspiration can also damage your guitar, so keep it dry. To polish it, use the special Martin polish and a clean Martin polishing cloth. Apply the polish to the cloth very sparingly never directly to the instrument, and then wipe the guitar with the cloth. With the satin finish you want to be extra careful not to overdue the polish as it can possibly produce a shine and build up in the finish. We recommend wiping down your instrument and strings with a soft, dry cloth before storing to remove harmful skin oils. Products containing silicone should not be used.

Best regards,

June Laubach

C.F. Martin & Co., Inc.

Customer Service

lawinnn
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
The top you can use the Martin polish and the body you just want

to wipe down with a warm damp cloth. The top is a gloss finish.

Paula

Warm damp cloth it is, for the Satin finished parts.

robinshammer
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a new d-1 satin finish Martin. I was told by a local luthier that polish is ok on the back and sides but use only a warm damp cloth, quickly drying with another dry cloth on the top. He said, and it makes sense to me, that polish would clog the pores on the soundboard (top) and the guitar would not age properly to develop that famous aged martin sound that martins are so well known for. Your Martin with proper care should sound much better at twenty years old than it did brand new.

captivate
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
4 year old thread. Let it die.