What is SRV's defining album?

PDA

View Full Version : What is SRV's defining album?

COWlan
08-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm really interested in learning some blues right now, and SRV is a good place to start, however his 20+ albums are just too much to grasp right now so can anyone tell me some of his best albums or songs so I can start learning.

P.S I'm trying to change from a hair metal addict to blues player right now, my friend's John Mayer CD convinced me to learn more blues.

dazmanrok92
08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Texas Flood is good. crossfire is a good song as well.

if your looking for an easy song, try Mary had a little lamb.

totenkopfSG
08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
sweet. congrats on expanding musical tastes.

for more SRV, i'd say check out Texas Flood for sure, or just for a jumping point, take a listen to any of the songs on any of his greatest hits cds

more plues to look at: bb king, bo diddley, zz top(so you can bridge between rock and blues), and even the black crowes for a more modern approach to the blues.

zerohero
08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
man just about anything from srv but i suggest texas flood album and song, tin pan alley, pride and joy, aint gone n give up on love, cold shot.

The red Strat.
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
check out his amazing little wing cover ;)

Ackj
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Texas Flood is good stuff. He did an awesome cover of Little Wing too.

dunkelblau
08-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Empty Arms
my goodness, that song is so much fun to play
along with lenny, house is arockin, Rude Mood(insanely fun on an acoustic, by the way)

many, many songs, but i suggest those

ynofaee12909121
08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I guess this has already been established but get Texas Flood.
And learn Lenny off of it it is the greatest

Blind In 1 Ear
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
if you are just starting i suggest the SRV essentials cd. its a double disc and has a lot of good songs and some live stuff as well. also i strongly suggest going on youtube and looking at his live videos. he's best live for sure. deffinatly check out the live from the el mocambo show. live at montreaux is great too. they keep taking down live from austin city limits clips though for some reason. but there are good songs there too. imo, i think you would learn more from his videos than from studio albums.

COWlan
08-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Alright thanx guys. I'm more interested in learning blues phrasing and the approaches to improv for blues than actual blues songs but songs are the easiest ways to find the good solos.

I'm over the Malsteen, MAB and the million other shredders period now, although still addicted to Jason Becker, Satch and Vai. I guess I could consider that growing musically.

SomeEvilDude
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm really interested in learning some blues right now, and SRV is a good place to start, however his 20+ albums are just too much to grasp right now so can anyone tell me some of his best albums or songs so I can start learning.

Dude, what have I missed here?

In any case, the 'essential' would be debut 'Texas Flood'. That said, 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' is definately worth it, for the title track and 'Tin Pan Alley' alone, though the rest of the album is pretty awesome too.

My personal favourite though is the remastered edition 'In Step.' I'd definately reccomend that as a first album to be honest.

dr_john
08-30-2007, 04:30 PM
you should by now be getting the clear message that texas flood is a great place to start. that would be my recommendation too.

a couple of other great individual tracks are 'life by the drop' from 'the sky is crying' album, and 'life without you' from 'soul to soul'.

enjoy!

:cheers:

XXXguitarman
08-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Texas Flood. It's the first album anyone thinks of when you think of SRV.

deluxity
08-30-2007, 11:48 PM
in step, texas flood, or the sky is crying

Kartman
09-05-2007, 02:22 AM
20 plus CD's? He's got like 5 or 6 studio albums and a couple live ones. I think Texas Flood shows his guitar-playing at his greatest.

ECistheBest
09-05-2007, 02:24 AM
or, just get the El Mocambo DVD!!! IMO, one of the greatest performances by anybody of all-time.

'Floods!'
09-07-2007, 02:13 PM
'Couldn't Stand the Weather' is his most diverse, but my favourite is 'Soul To Soul'.

striker327
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
or, just get the El Mocambo DVD!!! IMO, one of the greatest performances by anybody of all-time.

+1 get any live performances you can. In my opinion SRV was 20x better live