Agile vs Epiphone

PDA

View Full Version : Agile vs Epiphone

elekguit
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Guess who. :p: Well I've heard a lot of talk about Agile guitars. Is there a huge difference between the Agile AL-2000 and the Epi LP Standard? The Agile is MUCH cheaper, by about 300$. Is it a good guitar? And how hard is it to find one in northern canada? Would I have to order online? Or do shops have them?

Agile: http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000spalted.html
Epi LP: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

Bowlingforcerea
09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww doooooooooown with the threads my man.

I like Epiphone, I solely believe in you get what you pay for.

Agile is good to I hear, but to me you can't beat the quality of the Epi for the price. (Not to mention Gibson owns epiphone, so you are probably getting the most accurate version of a LP)

elekguit
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Haha, yeah I'm hoping this is the last one for a while. I've just heard so many great things about Agile, but yet I know Epi has a good product.

Axecutioner
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
The Epi isn't going to provide anything more for the price. The AL-2000 probably can compare with most Epi LPs, and the AL-3000 blows anything under an Epi elitist out of the water. And you could probably get the 2000, with a hard case shipped up to Canada for less than an Epi. I own 3 Agiles, and they all have exceeded the expectations you would find in their price range.

You might also be able to find some in Canada, but they are sold new only through Rondo Music in the US, and international shipping might be a bit pricey (I've heard up to $100 US for just going across the border to Canada).

For the price of an Epi, there are many things that can beat it (Agiles, Michael Kellys, MIJ Tokais, etc.) Don't waste your time on one of those Epi's with a mahogany/alder body unless you absolutely have to.

Michael Kelly Patriots don't totally follow the LP's shape, but they are supposed to be a great single cut that is around the price of the Epi but way superior to it. And you might have a better chance of getting one of those in Canada.

FRDesign
09-02-2007, 08:56 PM
The Epiphone looks so much better. I wouldn't get the Standard though. Its Alder/Mahogany.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

Thats the best deal for an Epi

FRDesign
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
The Epi isn't going to provide anything more for the price. The AL-2000 probably can compare with most Epi LPs, and the AL-3000 blows anything under an Epi elitist out of the water. And you could probably get the 2000, with a hard case shipped up to Canada for less than an Epi. I own 3 Agiles, and they all have exceeded the expectations you would find in their price range.

You might also be able to find some in Canada, but they are sold new only through Rondo Music in the US, and international shipping might be a bit pricey (I've heard up to $100 US for just going across the border to Canada).

For the price of an Epi, there are many things that can beat it (Agiles, Michael Kellys, MIJ Tokais, etc.) Don't waste your time on one of those Epi's with a mahogany/alder body unless you absolutely have to.

Michael Kelly Patriots don't totally follow the LP's shape, but they are supposed to be a great single cut that is around the price of the Epi but way superior to it. And you might have a better chance of getting one of those in Canada.For Musicians Friend to Ship my RG to Canada it was $75.

So I said, screw that and I got my Local Music store to Match Musicians Friends Price. Agiles are pretty much non-exisitant in Canada as well

elekguit
09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
$277.94 for a AL-2000 but then again I can't try it. Thats why I never order online. Thats with shipping.

FRDesign
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
$277.94 for a AL-2000 but then again I can't try it. Thats why I never order online. Thats with shipping.See $77 for shipping.

**** that!

The Epiphone Les Paul Studio is all Mahogany and looks awesome(White LP's FTW) and they will sell it at most local Music stores(Long McQuade has tons of epis)

Get them to match Musicians Friend's price, and then you don't have to wait or pay for shipping.

.smudged.
09-02-2007, 09:09 PM
no vs threads

elekguit
09-02-2007, 09:09 PM
It still adds up to much lower then the Epi would cost. But then at least I would get to try the Epi... I need to take up the piano :p:

gagnerants
09-02-2007, 09:12 PM
agile blows out the low end epi's without paying alot

elekguit
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
See... mixed reactions! :p: Thats it... I'm switching to the keyboard!

gagnerants
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
if you switch to keyboard and stop playing guitar your penis gets smaller, it's medically proven

FRDesign
09-02-2007, 09:52 PM
See... mixed reactions! :p: Thats it... I'm switching to the keyboard!
The AL2000 is the base model Agile. To get a decent one you need at least the 3000

bokuho
09-02-2007, 10:04 PM
The Epiphone looks so much better. I wouldn't get the Standard though. Its Alder/Mahogany.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=512585

Thats the best deal for an EpiIronic.

Every Epi Standard (and above; Customs, Ultra, Black Beauty, etc etc) made in the last year has been made with the 'true' materials. That means solid mahogany bodies, maple tops all round. No exceptions to this: anything which is an Epi LP Standard or above that was made in the last year will be made 'properly'. Only ones made before this time will have the alder/mahogany combination. Since some older instruments are still in prime circulation they still have to list alder as a production material, but basically any ones you find with alder, are old(er) instruments.

On the flip side, the Studio (and below: 100, Special-II, Junior) are still made with the mahogany/alder combination, even new ones.

So if you want to avoid the alder... don't buy a Studio, buy a Standard or higher.

FRDesign
09-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Ironic.

Every Epi Standard (and above; Customs, Ultra, Black Beauty, etc etc) made in the last year has been made with the 'true' materials. That means solid mahogany bodies, maple tops all round. No exceptions to this: anything which is an Epi LP Standard or above that was made in the last year will be made 'properly'. Only ones made before this time will have the alder/mahogany combination. Since some older instruments are still in prime circulation they still have to list alder as a production material, but basically any ones you find with alder, are old(er) instruments.

On the flip side, the Studio (and below: 100, Special-II, Junior) are still made with the mahogany/alder combination, even new ones.

So if you want to avoid the alder... don't buy a Studio, buy a Standard or higher.I did not know that.

zeppelinpage4
09-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Epiphone plain top for the win..I wish I had gotten one of these instead of the standard cause of the mahogany body.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413&src=3SOSWXXA