The Theory Test. (coincides with the "Fortnight Theory Lessons" )

PDA

View Full Version : The Theory Test. (coincides with the "Fortnight Theory Lessons" )

casualty01
11-28-2003, 12:06 PM
<center>Read This Before Taking The Test, Please.</center>

ok, so....... there have been 3 theory lessons so far.

and, like anything, it's good to test your knowledge in order to reinforce it. so, this test will include all material from the first 3 lessons.

***important***

do NOT post your answers here. PM them to me. not only will it prevent you from giving away the answers to the other members who want to seriously take this test to see where they're at, but it will also avoid any embarresment anyone might feel about getting answers wrong.
however, feel free, and encouraged, to post any questions you may have about the test....... maybe you don't understand how i worded a question, or maybe you're not sure what it is exactly that i want in your answer...... those posts are fine and welcomed. but once again, do NOT post the answers here lol

before you begin, let me say one more thing..... DON'T go back and get the answers from the all the lessons that i did...... this isn't an "open book" test. try and do the test in full, without cheating by going back and looking. and that means complete it and send it to me. don't worry if you get stuff wrong. that's what it's here for......... for you to see where the gaps in your knowledge are, and to see if there's anything you don't understand.
this is to see how much you've actually read, applied, learned and fully absorbed so that you KNOW it.

oh and don't feel like you have to copy and paste the questions, and put the answers in underneath or anything like that. just number the answers and type them out by themselves. no point in copying the questions when i have them right here.

:cheers:

let's get on with it.

<center>Theory Test</center>
1. what are the names of the strings from lowest to highest?

2. what is the musical alphabet? (write it out)

3. what is an interval?

4. what are intervals measured in?
- a.) what is the interval pattern of the musical alphabet starting on A ?

5. what is the smallest interval in western music?

6. what is a natural note?
- a.) what natural notes have half steps between them?

7. how many frets is a 1/2 step?
- a). how many frets is a Whole step?

8. name that note

5th fret G string ?

15th fret D string ?

8th fret E string ?

10th fret B string?

3rd fret E string?

8th fret A string?

9. what intervals are these? (whole or half? melodic or harmonic?)

a.)
E-------
B-------
G-------
D-------
A-------
E--8-10-

b.)
E-------
B-------
G-------
D--2-3--
A-------
E-------

c.)
E-------
B-------
G-------
D---2---
A---5---
E-------

d.)
E--------
B------4-
G---7----
D--------
A--------
E--------

e.)
E-------
B-------
G-------
D-------
A----8--
E----12-

f.)
E---4---
B---7---
G-------
D-------
A-------
E-------

g.)
E--------
B------3-
G---6----
D--------
A--------
E--------

10.) why is the direction on the guitar the way it is? (i.e. why is it considered "down" when you move towards the headstock, or towards the ceiling, and why when you move your hand towards the body or towards the floor considered "up")

11.) what is an accidental ?

12.) what are the different types of accidentals ?

13.) what does each accidental do?

14.) what's an enharmonic tone? (give example)

15.) how are accidentals written? (i.e. where are they placed next to the note?)
- a.) on paper when writing a note with an acccidental?
- b.) on paper when writing an INTERVAL or DEGREE with an accidental?
- c.) on staff paper?

16.) what is the full musical alphabet with all the accidentals written in there? (i.e. the chromatic scale)
- a.) with #'s
- b.) with b's

17.) Name That Note

please list all possible names for each. (some will have 2, some will have 3)

4th fret A string?

6th fret E string?

9th fret A string?

7th fret A string?

11th fret G string?

16th fret B string?

7th fret G string?

8th fret D string?

18.) what is a scale?

19.) what, in music theory, is based off of the Major scale?

20.) what is the W-1/2 pattern for a Major Scale?

21.) what is a root note?

22.) what do the numbers onthe neck paper represent?

23.) how many shapes of the Major Scale are there?

24.) what 3 different strings do those patterns START on ?
- a.)how many patterns for each starting string?

25.) what are the NOTES of the A Major scale ?

Cas-:peace:

casualty01
11-29-2003, 01:19 PM
um..... HELLO!!!!!??????? .......

I've had THREE....... count them THREE people take this test so far. (and to those 3 people, i will be getting your results back to you today :) )

now, compare that to the number of people i had crying about when i was going to start theory lessons again, and that is ridiculous.

so.. 75 views, and THREE actual test takers.

wow, that's great people.

"lets see.. take a test that would serve to improve my knowledge on the musical instrument i SEEM to want to play......... ooooooooooooor take a "dante's inferno" test..."

yeah, dante seems the obvious choice to me too :rolleyes:

im especially peeved with all the MT regulars and the people who bitched and whined about not having anymore theory lessons when i stopped for a while.

it's not that hard people...... it'll take 15 minutes...... i know i know, 15 precious minutes of pit surfing time right? yeah well... fuck the pit and take the damn test.

you'll be better off for it.

but, as a wise friend of mine said earlier, as I was venting my anger over the subject

Originally said by beatallica_fan
"its par for the course with UG, the users never fail to disappoint with there apathy toward learning the instrument they supposedly love in favour of twatting around with a load of like minded shit-for-brains children"

ah how true beat, how true.......:cheers:

NOW TAKE THE DAMN TEST!!!!!!!!

with love.....

Snyper
11-29-2003, 04:31 PM
PERFECT BIATCH!!!!!
:D

thebassmaster
11-30-2003, 07:37 AM
i will do after i finish my business studies coursework ;)

sjones
11-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I will take that test, just let me read the lessons a bit more in depth.

sjones
11-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Damn, just took it. Nice test. Hope to get my results back soon.

Thanks Cas,
shawn

StreamLine
11-30-2003, 06:23 PM
took it...

come on people, take a chance and take this test.

Gurgle!Argh!
11-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Sorry.... i thought about it in my head.... just didn't pm you my answers.... i'll do it now.

Snyper
11-30-2003, 08:59 PM
lol cas made people feel bad about not taking it :p:

casualty01
12-01-2003, 07:07 AM
wow, lol, all of a sudden my inbox has been filled.......

appreciate the sudden turnout guys :D :cheers:

to be honest, i've been feeling ill all day and haven't checked the new ones over.

I'll get on that tomorrow morning though and get your results out to you. :cheers: and thanks again.

spike_8bkp
12-01-2003, 02:13 PM
I meant to take it earlier, but just got it in last night...meh, I think I did alright :p:

ohdarn323
12-01-2003, 02:22 PM
I just saw it yesterday...and...I haven't looked at all your lessons and stuff, so I didn't know half the answers...

...meh.

Zamboni
12-02-2003, 08:58 PM
shouldnt most of it be common knowledge anyway?

Snyper
12-02-2003, 09:14 PM
i wouldnt say so, i wouldnt expect anyone without any musical training at all to get a single one of those questions
also cas is a tricky bastard making hard to understand questions ;)
like "22.) what do the numbers onthe neck paper represent? " :p:

thefitz22
12-03-2003, 12:29 AM
what do you mean by melodic or harmonic?

casualty01
12-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by thefitz22
what do you mean by melodic or harmonic?

tsk tsk tsk...... someone didn't read my previous theory lessons ;)

anyways, it seems nearly everyone had that problem (also, people that didn't read my previous lessons :p: ).

melodic = notes being played one after another

harmonic = notes being played at the same time as each other.

Slurgi
12-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by casualty01

anyways, it seems nearly everyone had that problem (also, people that didn't read my previous lessons :p: ).

Hahh OOOOOOOH i get it now :)

Makes sense, but i was all confused because a B and a C dont really "harmonize", its more like "disharmony" :)

And i read your lessons, its just hard to get every detail :P

thefitz22
12-04-2003, 12:34 AM

oh, thanks. i never read your lessons, but i'm starting to get into music theory, and i would really like to, where are they located at?

casualty01
12-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by thefitz22
oh, thanks. i never read your lessons, but i'm starting to get into music theory, and i would really like to, where are they located at?

lesson #1 & #2 are in the archive forum.

#3 is at the top of this forum.

Snyper
12-04-2003, 12:53 AM
under this thread on the forum page, is the thread for the 3rd lesson, which also has the links to the first 2 lessons

Snyper
12-04-2003, 03:40 AM
bah, it seems on the 3rd lesson he didnt post the links two the first two, so just check the archives forum

alpacaman
12-05-2003, 12:01 AM
i had to delete all the questions on the anwser page for the pm to go through....i think i did pretty good. i havent read any of the lessons but i know a lot about theory from playing sax for about 5 years so i did okay at least.

Zamboni
12-06-2003, 08:45 PM
you think i could get my test result doug? thanks. :cheers:

sjones
12-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Not trying to rush ya or anything Cas, but when will my results be back. I am anxious to see how I did.

casualty01
12-07-2003, 04:27 AM
busy. patience. thanks.

sjones
12-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Ok, guess I am just excited to see how I done.

UndeadPaperclip
12-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Damn. I understood most of it, but you still encouraged me to go back and read those lesons again, this time not just browsing through.

I guess I should thank you :cheers: Im going to go take it now. I did it in my head, now I want to see my score.

~Andrew :bounce:

Edit: I was brushing up on scale and chord theory the other night and I eralized I missed a couple easy questions, damn.

Zamboni
12-08-2003, 12:13 AM
busy. patience. thanks.

no problem. take your time. :cheers:

casualty01
12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
ok, tomorrow i have a free day, so i'll be grading all the remaining tests. sorry for the hold up guys.

and thanks to all the test takers :cheers:

casualty01
12-12-2003, 06:49 PM
SON OF A......!!!........ dammit sjones lol, clean out your PM box please.

and make sure you clean out your SENT items as well ;).

and please, everyone else, could you make sure yours is cleaned out too lol. thanks :cheers:

Snyper
12-13-2003, 01:21 AM
bah, listen to cas, empty out your damn pm box undeadpaperclip!!!!!!!!

PJD
12-13-2003, 03:44 AM
Just got my results thanks for your time Cas it was good stuff! Although i have a point of contention about natural notes as I've never heard of that! I know of natural half steps but natural notes? Again i think it's a british thing! If you could tell me where to find that lesson i would like to take a closer look. I took the test cold just to see how I'd do. Thanks again, I'm looking foweard to level two's test! :)

casualty01
12-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by PJD
Just got my results thanks for your time Cas it was good stuff! Although i have a point of contention about natural notes as I've never heard of that! I know of natural half steps but natural notes? Again i think it's a british thing! If you could tell me where to find that lesson i would like to take a closer look. I took the test cold just to see how I'd do. Thanks again, I'm looking foweard to level two's test! :)

you're welcome bud :cheers:

but...... dude, lol....... I'm american born and raised. trust me, "natural notes" isn't a british thing lol.

think about it.... if there's such thing as a "natural symbol" which brings notes back to it's natural state, then it stands to reason that there are "natural notes" lol.

I swear it aint british ;)

here's the 2 previous lessons I referred to in my message.

Theory Lesson 1 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38141) Theory Lesson 2 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39727)

as you'll see, in the first lesson I address natural notes, and in the second lesson, i present the natural symbol.

thanks again for taking the lesson, hope to see your participation come round 2. :cheers:

PJD
12-13-2003, 12:30 PM
you're welcome bud :cheers:

but...... dude, lol....... I'm american born and raised. trust me, "natural notes" isn't a british thing lol.

think about it.... if there's such thing as a "natural symbol" which brings notes back to it's natural state, then it stands to reason that there are "natural notes" lol.

I swear it aint british ;)

here's the 2 previous lessons I referred to in my message.

Theory Lesson 1 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38141) Theory Lesson 2 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39727)

as you'll see, in the first lesson I address natural notes, and in the second lesson, i present the natural symbol.

thanks again for taking the lesson, hope to see your participation come round 2. :cheers:

I got ya now! I've never heard it put that way anywhere, did you pick that up at a conservatoty? I still say you may be part british. Thanks again it was fun.-PJD
PS when is round two?

casualty01
12-13-2003, 03:58 PM
ok, the test is done. no more submissions will be taken.

too all who took it, thank you very much. it's appreciated :cheers:
hope to see you all take the next one.

if in the future someone WOULD like to take this test, please PM me FIRST asking if i have the time.

**CLOSED**