Good headphones for amp

PDA

View Full Version : Good headphones for amp

eheaps
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I am a college student who now lives in an apartment and as much as I like to play with my amp turned up to a reasonable level, I want a nice pair of headphones so i can enjoy my playing while letting my roommates study. I bought the connector piece from radio shack for like five bucks, just to test it out with my basic music-listening headphones (came with an old CD player probably). Anyway, can anyone recommend a quality reasonably priced pair of phones that will still give decent sound for its purpose? I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount but I'm willing to consider a lot. Thanks.

Off-The-Heazay
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
i have Sennheiser HD201's that were quite cheap, sound great too

try them!

joeymaxx
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
yeah Sennheiser would be my first choice.

uldhppi
09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Two things to look for: size and frequency response. Over ear phones will have better bass (the drivers tend to be bigger) and privacy. For guitar the frequency response needs to be about 8-25,000 minimum. These requirements dictate more expensive headphones.

jxljxl
09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah Sennheiser would be my first choice.

+100, Sennheiser are awesome

guitarcrazy1991
09-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Sennheiser headphones are amazing, i have 2 pairs.

eheaps
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
any other suggestions? just want to compare before I buy anything.

eheaps
09-06-2007, 08:39 PM
So, I've been looking around and right now am leading toward these Audio Technica phones. Looks a great deal for the price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHD40/

uldhppi
09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Probably ok but not a very good frequency response curve.

eheaps
09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Not very good? It goes up to 28kHz, I thought that'd be great.

uldhppi
09-06-2007, 09:19 PM
The problem is the bottom end. For guitar to sound good you need a lower freq. response, ideally around 8-15. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I went on a search for headphones for guitar myself. Everything I tried (including some ones I already had and thought were decent) sounded buzzy and flat. The dynamic range of a guitar is very wide. You may not be as picky as I am. Anything I think sounds even acceptable is going to cost you over $75 minimum. The thing to do is remember these numbers, go for full sized over ear and watch for close out sales. I got mine at Radio Shack for $72.50 because they were discontinued. Don't let me discourage you. As I said you may not be as picky as I am.

eheaps
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I appreciate your input completely. I'm a very good shopper and I find great deals on everything which is why I'd be willing to look at something a little more expensive. Could you provide one or a few examples of something that would be better for under $100? Thanks a lot buddy

MatrixClaw
09-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I honestly don't see the purpose in spending lots of money on headphones just to practice by yourself. If you plan on doing recording (with decent gear), I'd suggest buying a good pair of Sennheisers as others said, but honestly, I wouldn't spend over $50 for headphones if just for practicing. No one else is going to hear you, so it's not like you need the best sound coming out of it, just something that sounds decent.

eheaps
09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't think I'm planning on spending much over $50 if that, at this point I'm just interested in seeing an example of a pair of headphones that would have the ideal specs so to speak, just for comparison purposes. I would most likely end up buying something of lesser quality than the best.

MatrixClaw
09-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't think I'm planning on spending much over $50 if that, at this point I'm just interested in seeing an example of a pair of headphones that would have the ideal specs so to speak, just for comparison purposes. I would most likely end up buying something of lesser quality than the best.

Ah, alright.

Well, I can't really give you insight on what headphones to buy in that price range (The only good ones I have my band uses for recording and they weren't cheap), however, when I use the headphone out on my Vox, I usually just plug my cheap Sennheisers into it and it sounds good enough for what I want it for. I think the model is PX 100 or something, don't have them close to me. Though, they weren't really intended much for plugging into my amp, more to listen to music through my stereo, but whatever :p:

blind nate
09-07-2007, 12:19 AM
i have the akg k-44 headphones and they work very well for me. i cant say how they compare to any others because ive never used any high-dollar headphones much (of course theyre not as good). i bought them for the same purpose and they havent failed me once. the headband thing on them adjusts automatically to your head so they stay on good and cover the whole ear. they are really big though, so keep that in mind (i dont really care though). they only cost $20 at music123.com... and i think i paid a good bit more for mine a few years ago.

anyway, just my 2 cents.

wongacaster
09-07-2007, 12:26 AM
wait why would you need headphones with a response over 20k?
cause cant humans only hear to their?

yeahyeah
09-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I'd go for comfort over sound. Slightly poorer sound quality can be overlooked, but sore ears really suck and can make practicing a chore, especially if you're gonna be wearing them for extended periods.

patalp
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Get a pair of koss ksc75s (trust me they are awesome).
You can read up on them at www.headfi.org

MrPillow
09-07-2007, 12:42 AM
The dynamic range of a guitar is very wide

No it isn't =\

The freq range you'll need for a guitar is only from like 50hz to 10khz. Most guitar cabs only go from 70-9khz and somewhere inbetween, even the most expensive ones. You don't need a low response of 8-15hz. The threshold of human hearing is 25hz. THe lowest note on a piano is 27.5hz, and that is far lower than even the lowest note on a 6-string bass.

Guitars aren't full range instruments.

You don't need super large spectrum headphones.

Anything with the standard 20hz-20khz will be more than adequate to cover all frequencies of a guitar.

outerlimit501
09-07-2007, 01:34 AM
To the person above me, all you say is true, however, to get the actual and full sound of a distorted or overdriven guitar, one must must have headphones that accurately represent the high harmonic overtones that are in excess of the actual frequency of the tone itself.

To threadstarter. I have heard the Skullcandy makes good headphones. Now I have no personal experience, nor stats or figures, however for the sake of giving ideas you could try them. Maybe you could find an older pair of Bose headphones, because Bose makes good everything.

MrPillow
09-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Yes you do have to account for all harmonics and overtones, but one must understand. THe highest fundamental pitch made by a 24 fret, 6 string guitar in standard tuning would be roughly2500-2700hz, im not sure of the exact measurement. Even the highest of harmonics created by such a note would be well under 20khz. THe length of the string at such a high note as well would greatly limit the ammount of harmonics generated, and you would mainly hear only the fundamental and maybe the first 2-3 overtones.

Shorter strings have far far fewer overtones than longer ones. Hence why low notes sound rich and full, and high notes tend to sound more brittle and empty.

Hell, the harmonic content of the highers note on a piano, which are far higher than those of a guitar, only extend out into the 10khz range.

Case and point, anything in the 20hz-20khz range will be more than adequate.

uldhppi
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
MrPillow is correct in the given range of human hearing as averaging 20Hz-20kHz. However it is important to stress that these measurements come from a standard "sine wave" test, i.e. the use of pure tones without harmonic overtones, no subaudio or ultrasonic waves. Human hearing, as all human senses, is different than perception, which takes into account not only changes in frequency but also changes in loudness (db.) Intermodulation and phase-cancellation also affect perceived loudness and sensitivity. This is one of the reasons that tube amps of the same wattage sound louder to the human perception than the equivalent wattage of a solid-state amp.
Sub-audio is routinely used in sythesizers to create vibrato, as well as in pipe organs. The lowest frequency produced by a pipe organ is well below the lower threshold of human hearing. The ear still senses this tone as energy and filters it to the brain, where it is "transposed" as the lowest note the human ear is capable of sensing as "sound."
In human speech the sibilants go up to around 12kHz. Cymbals routinely go up to about 2-4kHz. The upper limit of 20kHz applies to sine-waves. If an ultrasound vibration is fed directly to the skull the bone and reaches the cochlea bypassing the middle ear much higher frequencies can be heard. This phenomenon is called the Hypersonic Effect. This is what headphones with higher frequency response do.
Do not ignore the entire body as an "ear." Subwoofers produce sound below the standard lower threshold. The body still registers this energy as vibrations. When wearing headphones the head is still vibrated from this energy.
If you remove transient peaks and subaudio from music you end up with bland, flat-sounding music. If you remove the superaudial peaks from human speech you make it virtually unintelligible.
Bottom line: Human hearing is far more than the registering of pure tones on the human ear. The reason a wider frequency response in headphones is necessary is the interaction of physics and perception, not just sine-wave perception.

eheaps
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I have decided to go with the AKG K-44's. I have read some very good reviews about them and saw one poster suggest them here (although I saw that after I already bought them! Thanks anyway!). It seems as if the frequency should be sufficient and I decided that the difference in quality between a $25 pair and a $50 or $60 pair isn't justifiable enough to spend the money. So i decided I would give these a try. If these don't provide me with the quality sound I'm looking for, then I might consider spending a higher amount on my next pair, but we'll deal with that if it happens, I don't think I will be disappointed with these. Thanks for all your help guys!