Getting into blues/jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Getting into blues/jazz

pENTAcUBE
09-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Hey guys, this is my first venture into the "Bands & Artists" section. I've heard some cool blues licks recently, and I really liked them. I have never known anyone who was into blues or jazz music, and I don't know the first thing about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for stuff like the most popular artists and groups, your favorite artists, some little known ones, and any other information about blues that you can share. Thanks!

ECistheBest
09-05-2007, 01:56 AM
stevie ray vaughan's music is really easy to get into. so is Eric Clapton. I don't think your first artists should be straight up blues men, cause they seem to be harder to get into.

Kartman
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM
stevie ray vaughan's music is really easy to get into. so is Eric Clapton. I don't think your first artists should be straight up blues men, cause they seem to be harder to get into.
+1340

But I'd also say some jazz, maybe some Miles Davis. He's pretty popular among jazz lovers.

thepagesaretorn
09-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Metheny =] and Nels Cline =]

theyre like my favs at the moment. Im transcribing Pat's live solo to Unity Village at the moment actually.

opivy21
09-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't come in here often, but whenever I do I like to recommend John Fahey.

GD_GC
09-08-2007, 10:09 AM
yea i second the SRV and Clapton, and maybe ZZ Top to bridge that gap between rock and blues. Also try Albert Collins once you get into true blues a little more, he has GREAT tone. And BB King of course is always a good pick.

Sleepn_Giant
09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree with people that to start you off you should listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan and Clapton and stuff.

First jazz I ever actually listened to was Wes Montgomery and I was hooked since. I remember it was the song "D-Natural Blues". He's my favorite jazz guitarist, even though I've listened to many other really good jazz guitarists. Listen to "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery" album. Changed my life. And he does play some blues on that album.

sre9981
09-08-2007, 01:38 PM
SRV, Clapton, etc, what other people have said.

As for jazz, start with the greats. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Wes Montgomery, Louis Armstrong, etc

RedMoonMan
09-08-2007, 01:48 PM
i say get into original blues men its much better and isnt al fancy but eventuall yyou will if you listen to anyone who has blues roots

Doolittle
09-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Thelonious Monk and Wes Montgomery for excellent jazz

opivy21
09-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Thelonious Monk and Wes Montgomery for excellent jazz
I second both of these, but especially Monk.