Gil Scott-Heron

PDA

View Full Version : Gil Scott-Heron

darkstar2466
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Who else has heard any of Gil Scott's albums? He was an African American poet in the 70s and a political activist. He came from a jazz/blues background.

If you haven't heard any of his stuff, I suggest getting his "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" album. Or if you want to download a single song, get "Is That Jazz?" Amazing song, kind of a tribute to the great artists.

HuskerDu
09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Gil Scott Heron is amazing!

That mans got some funky tunes he does.

MastaBassist10
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
A beautiful songwriter, amazing musician, puts me in a different place whenever I listen to him

Ataxia
05-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Gil Scott-Heron is a truly amazing artist, activist and writer. Although some may say his later albums lacked a little through a well documented drug-abuse, I still find them mindblowing. I'm currently listening to Moving Target; [b]Washington DC is one of my favourite songs period.

And if rumour is to be true, he's currently in the process of writing a new album.

ohhey9040
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Brilliant lyricist, brilliant musician. My favorite album of his is Winter In America. "Rivers of My Fathers" is one of those songs that hits your soul in a way that very few things in life can. You can tell by listening to both the lyrics and the vocal performace that he's baring his soul, and it's beautiful. For example:

Rubber soles against the concrete and
the concrete is my smile

Absolutely amazing.

Taniel_24
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I just found out about him a couple days ago. Perfect blend of funk and jazz. "Lady Day & John Coltrane" is an amazing song, just like "Home is Where the Hatred Is".

DeSean
05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
He's great, I got into him about 3 years ago when I was 15. I'm still yet to meet someone else who has heard of him...

meh!
05-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Introduced to him by my dad. Like his lyrics.