Heard an awful thing today...

PDA

View Full Version : Heard an awful thing today...

tarheelfan2
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
So I come into the room and the TV is on and all of a sudden I hear "Pride & Joy". I look at the TV and it's a ****ing CAR COMMERCIAL. I hate how someone is trying to exploit Stevie's talent just so they can make some more money. Stevie wrote that song about and for his wife and I can guarantee you he didn't have a Nissan in mind when writing it. ****ing money grubbing a-holes.

ericgentz
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't be that harsh... but it is kind of rude...

Gitter_Wizard
Sorry?

blinkreallyfast
Maybe it will introduce some new people to his music and the blues in general.

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
its not like they stole it... they need permission to use it, plus does it really matter? i kinda know what you mean but wouldnt you prefer that than some rap or pop bullsh*t music?

tarheelfan2
09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
No, I want the general public to like the rap and pop crap stuff. I don't want some kid listening to his i-pod and go from fall out boy or amy winehouse to SRV. I just feel those kids don't deserve it. And if people are going to start liking the blues because of car commercial they can go and fckin blow out. I just don't want it to be exploited. That song probably holds meaning for a lot of people and everyone knows when something is exploited, it loses its meaning and the closeness people may feel to the song. That's all.

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
No, I want the general public to like the rap and pop crap stuff. I don't want some kid listening to his i-pod and go from fall out boy or amy winehouse to SRV. I just feel those kids don't deserve it. And if people are going to start liking the blues because of car commercial they can go and fckin blow out.
thats a bit harsh... i listne to srv but i also love metal and other stuff. thats kinda beeing selfish.... i would rather ppl start liking good music that takes talent to make then rap or pop... plus does it matter how someone gets into music? i got into zeppelin from nirvana

fenderdude06
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
whoa there buddy. calm down.

you need to learn to accept that everyone listens to music. it does not belong to just you unless you write it yourself. saying that someone does not DESERVE to listen to music is pretty messed up.

it's a good thing that kids who listen to rap and stuff will have maybe one song by SRV. maybe after they get bored of that song or something they will look up more SRV and maybe more artists like him, and turn into one of us.

i like almost every type of music, even country. just chill out man. music is to be shared and loved by all.

MastaBassist10
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
No, I want the general public to like the rap and pop crap stuff. I don't want some kid listening to his i-pod and go from fall out boy or amy winehouse to SRV. I just feel those kids don't deserve it. And if people are going to start liking the blues because of car commercial they can go and fckin blow out.
You really need to get that semi truck out of your ass. Its making you think wrong.

I got into the music I listen to because the UG Mod Divid3d showed me it and I wanted to impress her because she is so hot :liplick: . I mean, she lives literally on the other side of the world, but that's not the point. I love drum&bass so much. Why shouldn't they like blues?

For the record, I go from Dr Dre to Miles Davis to Skream to John McLaughlin on a regular basis.

yawn
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry pal, but you're not that special. Anyone who enjoys SRV's music can listen to it. You got a problem with that? Tough shit. Personally, I saw that commercial and was happy to hear it.

Yeah, I'm pretty goddamn weird, aren't I?

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM

you need to learn to accept that everyone listens to music. it does not belong to just you unless you write it yourself. saying that someone does not DESERVE to listen to music is pretty messed up.

it's a good thing that kids who listen to rap and stuff will have maybe one song by SRV. maybe after they get bored of that song or something they will look up more SRV and maybe more artists like him, and turn into one of us.

i like almost every type of music, even country. just chill out man. music is to be shared and loved by all.
fenderdude06... that was beautiful, you put into words what i could not, kudos to you sir

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 11:09 PM
dude its a car commercial, they arent exploiting anyone or anything.

yawn
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
dude its a car commercial, they arent exploiting anyone or anything.Hm...

YOU'RE BEING EXPLOITED! THE CAR COMMERCIAL IS ANNHILATING YOUR SOOOUUUUL!!!!!!

Save yourself while you still can!

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Hm...

YOU'RE BEING EXPLOITED! THE CAR COMMERCIAL IS ANNHILATING YOUR SOOOUUUUL!!!!!!

Save yourself while you still can!
that was almost as senseless and unnecessary as this thread

yawn
09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
that was almost as senseless and unnecessary as this threadAlmost. ;)

JOEYPWNSU
touche sir... touche

tarheelfan2
Yes, I like the posts I have spawned here. Yes, yes indeed. I will leave you with words from The Zombies.

"Good morning to you I hope you're feeling better baby
Thinking of me while you are far away
Counting the days until they set you free again
Writing this letter hoping you're okay

Saved you the room you used to stay in every Sunday
The one that is warmed by sunshine every day
And we'll get to know each other for a second time
And then you can tell me 'bout your prison stay..."

I have removed the truck from my ass, will you please do the same? Yes? I hope so.

yawn
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I have removed the truck from my ass, will you please do the same? Yes? I hope so.But man, it feels so good...

fenderdude06
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
to TS,

what did that have to do with anything???

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, I like the posts I have spawned here. Yes, yes indeed. I will leave you with words from The Zombies.

I have removed the truck from my ass, will you please do the same? Yes? I hope so.
ur an idiot... thats all i really have to say

MustangMan311
09-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Pretty sure that was just a similar chord progression to the song: I heard it the other day too, but I'm pretty sure it was different.

Oh, yeah, and chill the **** out.

fenderdude06
^ btw, i sigged what you said haha

JOEYPWNSU
But man, it feels so good...
yawn... u sir are a funny man

tarheelfan2
09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
You're all american aquarium drinkers

JOEYPWNSU
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
You're all american aquarium drinkers
dude so far all you have done is convince me that your prolly the biggest douchebag on UG...

tarheelfan2
09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't mind dude, I am trying to break your heart, douche or not. Can't handle a little randomness? Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

strong_wizard
09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
They are exploiting it why?
Because he's dead, who knows what he'd say to his music being put into a commercial. We can't argue either way- but either way, we can't argue for, and his family/the record company is misusing the privilage.

MastaBassist10
09-10-2007, 12:39 AM

What do these lyrics have to do with ANYTHING? I have no truck in my ass, which is obviously displayed by my lack of douchebaggery.

RhoadsSRV8290
09-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I was pretty indifferent towards it honestly. I don't particularly get zealous over a commercial.

tarheelfan2
09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
What do these lyrics have to do with ANYTHING? I have no truck in my ass, which is obviously displayed by my lack of douchebaggery.

They have everything to do with everything can't you tell? Can you not read? Or you might be distracted? Yes, I think so. That's it. I think Stevie just rolled around in his grave.

yawn
09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I think Stevie just rolled around in his grave.Wow, that's pretty kinky.

dr_john
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
this is all getting frickin ridiculous. for me, any opportunity to have some good music featured anywhere in the media is a million times better the mindless punk, garage, rap or other vomit inducing garbage that we have to put up with these days.

there, that's better, i think i will go and lie down now.....................

tarheelfan2
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Drivin' through the Village Green of course! Do you understand it all yet?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
09-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Alright, well I think its pretty safe to say that tarheelfan2 is a major dumbfuck. On a side note, what in the fuck does Wilco or The Zombies have to do with this thread? Your not being random, your being an asshole.

Secondly, I think the commercial is wonderful. Its great to hear Stevie out there on the TV, and whenever I do see the commercial, I feel really good. Whether thats not what Stevie wrote the song about, it fits. And its a great way for people who wouldn't have gotten into Stevie to say, "Hey, who is that? Sounds pretty good". And it all goes from there.

As for your completely ridiculous comments about people not being able to go from something like Stevie to Fall Out Boy? Well jesus, your probably the most ignorant person on UG I know. You know what the real peach about music is supposed to be? The variety. It would not be the same (for a lot of people) if that option of variety wasn't there. The best part comes from listening to more than one thing. If I couldn't listen to something like Alan Jackson, Quasimoto & The Smiths all in one session, I know I'd probably flip out.

Now grow up, or shut the fuck up.

aetherspear
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
i can't believe it took this long for his songs to be in commericals.

Maggot66
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Your words are love.. this thread should of ended right after you made that post.

tarheelfan2
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEwrwINSfY

I decided I should a musical genius say to you self righteous people what I really meant.

NO MORE RIVERS!

Blind In 1 Ear
09-17-2007, 09:39 PM
So I come into the room and the TV is on and all of a sudden I hear "Pride & Joy". I look at the TV and it's a ****ing CAR COMMERCIAL. I hate how someone is trying to exploit Stevie's talent just so they can make some more money. Stevie wrote that song about and for his wife and I can guarantee you he didn't have a Nissan in mind when writing it. ****ing money grubbing a-holes.
how are they money grubbing? wouldnt THEY need to pay in order to use the song?

i thought it was cool to see his song on there. stevie actually did a commercial before so i dont think he would be too upset about using his song for something like this.

Blind In 1 Ear
09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Pretty sure that was just a similar chord progression to the song: I heard it the other day too, but I'm pretty sure it was different.

Oh, yeah, and chill the **** out.
there is actually one that has him singing the lyrics. there is also one thats just the shuffle part.

tarheelfan2
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Are you dumb? The car company obviously pays who ever has the rights to the song to use it in their commercial. Thom owns you.

TeXaS_db
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
well if some kid cant listen to it, can i listen to srv

tarheelfan2
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Blind In 1 Ear
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Are you dumb? The car company obviously pays who ever has the rights to the song to use it in their commercial. Thom owns you.
yea so how can they be money grubbing if they have to pay who ever has the rights to use the song?

im not even sure what "thom owns you" is suposed to mean.

tarheelfan2
09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Exactly, the people who own the rights to the song are money grubbing, making money off the talent of the dead.

You wouldn't.

Blind In 1 Ear
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
i think hes being a little extreme. people arent going to only remember a company by the music. there was an ad a while ago(car ad) that used hendrix's third stone from the sun in it and even images of jimi. most people dont even remember it let alone associate the conpany with the song. i dont even remember what company it was.

Blind In 1 Ear
09-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Exactly, the people who own the rights to the song are money grubbing, making money off the talent of the dead.

You wouldn't.
i thought you were talking about nissan.

tarheelfan2
09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Listen to everything from 34 seconds on. That is the point that I agree with and that I was trying to explain before I was raped by the self righteous ringers.

Yeah, I meant who ever owns the rights to the song.