Do you like acoustic blues but dislike electric or vice versa?

PDA

View Full Version : Do you like acoustic blues but dislike electric or vice versa?

opivy21
09-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Just like the title says. I've personally been falling in love with acoustic blues over the past year, but I don't listen to much electric at all. I respect BB King, but I don't really listen to him. I know it's not his fault that his style and sound are ripped off, but I can't listen to him because of all the imitators that have made his sound boring. I guess the only electric players/singers that I really listen to are Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, and a few I'm probably forgetting, and I would take an acoustic player over those guys 9 times out of 10. I believe that my disinterest in electric blues is because of how bastardized it has become. It is one of the most homogenized styles of music these days, and it's very often boring. Agree? Disagree?

Acoustic blues, on the other hand, is a lot less prominent these days (or so it seems; if I'm missing any good acoustic players that currently play, I'd love to be informed). You're a lot less likely to hear acoustic blues unless you seek it out, in contrast to electric blues which is played in macaroni and cheese commercials.

Thoughts?

Hdap101
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I think I'm a fan of the slow acoustic, with clean/very lightly distorted electric soloing over the top. take a gander at the song and my profile and you'll see what I mean. god my playing sucks on it.

Punk_Ninja
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Hell I love it all, it's all good, you heard Rory Gallagher?
He had great skill on electric and acoustic, he was amazing either way (I was named after him and my dad was his roadie, I need to know about him :p: )

Anyway Yeah I love it all, acoustic, electric everything!

lolmnt
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I prefer acoustic blues to electric

FlamingYouth
09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Any form of the blues rocks my sox!

EDIT: Yea, except for those "licks" heard in cheesey macaroni commercials! GAH! I hate it when industries shamelessly abuse music in their commercials...

gibson_lover_ga
09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm the oppisite, I like the electric blues. Probably becuase I was a hard rocker before the blues found me. Stevie Ray Vaughan, B. B King, Robert Cray, Howlin' Wolf, it's great.

jckido21
09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
my favorite jimi hendrix song is a the bluesy acoustic twelve string tuned down 2 steps hear my train a comin' and anyways if it wasnt for acoustic blues there wouldnt be electric blues like they are now. no that electric blues are bad or nothing but it kind owes itself to teh old skool

matt92l
09-12-2007, 02:39 PM
i would tend to agree with you but just remember this:
whenever bb king, buddy guy and the rest of them first heard the electric guitar, they were transfixed by it. Buddy even said it took him a week to figure out what was making the noise.
I think both styles have there place

Confusius
09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I find they are both great. I like them equally. :)

TeXaS_db
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
they both have there place, i dont really like bb kings and stevie ray (except Texas Flood). back in the old days acoustic was the way to go. but there r bands and guitarist in this era that have really done a good job at playing electric blues, like The White Stripes, they play some awesome electric blues songs, such as Ball And Biscuit, Catch Hell Blues, and Death Letter. And another band to check out is The Black Keys. they r heavily blues influenced, and play electric alot. i go both ways, theres some blues songs on that only sound good on acoustic, then theres some blues songs that only sound good on electric, it really depends on the song, and the person playing.

Bling Dogg
09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I love electric blues, but don't really like acoustic. To me acoustic is just too soft and tame for me. I like electric bluesmen like Buddy Guy, Albert King, some Jimi Hendrix, and more rock-influenced stuff like the Black Keys. I love hearing the sound of the electric guitar and electric blues, it just has something about it that acoustic music can't compare to. I can't really explain, it's just a feeling I get when I listen to it.

But still I do like some acoustic. Like R.L. Burnside, who's one of my favorite guitarists, who did some acoustic songs besides electric. I can listen to some acoustic, but just in small doses.

Dr. No
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I like electric blues. Don't really care for acoustic blues.

opivy21
09-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I figured that most people would go for electric first. I already know about the Black Keys and the White Stripes and whatnot, but I don't personally consider them to be blues groups. I love blues influenced rock n' roll, but straight up electric blues has just never really done it for me.

Bling Dogg, I'm the exact opposite - I find that electric blues is more tame than acoustic for the most part. There's nothing as intense to me as Blind Willie Johnson playing an acoustic and singing like it's his last day on Earth.

I forgot to mention that I like R.L. Burnside's electric playing, but I prefer his acoustic stuff.

Blind In 1 Ear
09-13-2007, 01:21 AM
i love both. i like how you can shape the tone of an electric so differently and my playing is way better on it. i feel i can put a lot of feeling and expression through it. but i love acoustic too and have more respect for good acoustic players. as much as i like electric, nothing really beats a real mean, groovy acoustic blues song.

im starting to like acoustic more now though just because ive been doing the electric thing for so long and im kinda getting tired of playing my fast paced blues rock and all that. im kinda getting into more of making nice melodic songs and harmonies. ill probably play my acoustic more and more as time goes on.

Bluesbreaker7
09-15-2007, 07:23 AM
I like both, probably if pushed I'd say I prefer acoustic. But I love someone like The Black Keys like I love Blind Willie Johnson.
I like the softer kind of electric stuff more than the Clapton kind of Blues-Rock thing (like T-Bone Walker, say - incidentally I have just upped my version of Stormy Monday if anyone wants to take a look ) usually, but Mike Bloomfield is an exception.

fattypumbaa
09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
listen to Warren Haynes best electric blues man around today he is a tone God but I do love Delta blues this is like choosing between Hostess products they're just all so good

Bling Dogg
09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
I figured that most people would go for electric first. I already know about the Black Keys and the White Stripes and whatnot, but I don't personally consider them to be blues groups. I love blues influenced rock n' roll, but straight up electric blues has just never really done it for me.

Bling Dogg, I'm the exact opposite - I find that electric blues is more tame than acoustic for the most part. There's nothing as intense to me as Blind Willie Johnson playing an acoustic and singing like it's his last day on Earth.

I forgot to mention that I like R.L. Burnside's electric playing, but I prefer his acoustic stuff.
I guess it's the distorted tone of the electric guitar that I like better. I just feel that it captures more emotion and intensity than acoustic, the way some guitarists can make their axe scream and cry, in ways you can't on acoustic.

And I agree. I don't consider the Black Keys or White Stripes as pure blues at all. I look at the Black Keys as blues-rock, and the White Stripes as indie/garage with some blues influences.

As for R.L. Burnside I like those crazy last albums he put out that were fused with garage rock a little more than his pure acoustic work. And I can't believe I forgot to mention Junior Kimbrough! I'm a fan of his too. He's really amazing, one of the few delta blues guitarists I listen to. Still played mostly electric, but I felt I just had to mention him lol.

I think in time I'll appreciate acoustic blues more. My taste in music changes all the time; about two years ago I didn't like the blues at all, now it's what I play and listen to the most. So I bet I'll be a big acoustic blues fan in a year or two lol.

BigDoug
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
For me, it's all good. I guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in at the time. Right now I'm playing the snot out of BB King stuff as well as messing with some good ole Delta rhythms on my acoustic.

Derek <3's You!
09-16-2007, 03:53 PM
I guess I'm stuck in the middle.. I mean i love the blues period, regardless of what it's played on. I guess to disregard acoustic blues is probably worse then electric blues, since it did come first. When i play i enjoy electric more, i can just feel those notes coming out my soul and off my fingers... with acoustic though, i just hear what i'm playing rather then feeling it.

ideasofmarch
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Personally, I prefer electric, but only a slight bit.

Son House is probably my favourite bluesman though. So I s'pose it balances.

Greentreejester
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
I dont really like electric blues, but love acoustic blue, mainy delta blues.