Stan Getz

PDA

View Full Version : Stan Getz

HawkaLuigi
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I spent three hours this morning listening to his Jazz 'Round Midnight album. Pan and Nature Boy are definetly my favorites.

Stan Getz: Great or Greatest Tenor Sax Player?? :p:

:cheers:

Resiliance
09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Ben Webster I tell you. :p:

HawkaLuigi
09-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Ben Webster I tell you. :p:

Lies! :no:

There isn't one Stan Getz song that I do not like so far. And that's rare. His stuff is very good.

Resiliance
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Lies! :no:

There isn't one Stan Getz song that I do not like so far. And that's rare. His stuff is very good.

Yes it is, and he's my second favorite saxophone player when it comes to ballads. Ben Webster's my favorite. ;)

aetherspear
09-11-2007, 09:55 PM
cough coltrane cough

Sanctus Ignis
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Haha, I was listening to that album while my friend and I were patching some DMX nodes in the theater at my performing arts school where I intern at. It's good and stuff. :D

cough coltrane cough+1 :p:

Resiliance
09-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Coltrane is completely incomparable to Getz when it comes to playing styles. They both play sax, that's about it, imo.

Sanctus Ignis
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Coltrane is completely incomparable to Getz when it comes to playing styles. They both play sax, that's about it, imo.True. Coltrane is more of that "classical" jazz player, the more virtuosic type with knuckle-busting runs that just make your head spin. Getz kinda lays back on that and is way more of a "groove-oriented" player.

Yes, they are both sax players. Damn good sax players, in fact. :D

INDUSTRIALMETAL
09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I like this Ben Webster/Stan Getz thing. Ben is my pick over Getz mostly because I love his collab with Coleman Hawkins, but this thread isn't abut that.

Getz has the best sax tone overall this side of Paul Desmond, and was an amazing player. I like his work after Chick Corea the most, People Time in particular.

Resiliance
09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I like this Ben Webster/Stan Getz thing. Ben is my pick over Getz mostly because I love his collab with Coleman Hawkins, but this thread isn't abut that.

Getz has the best sax tone overall this side of Paul Desmond, and was an amazing player. I like his work after Chick Corea the most, People Time in particular.

Do you like Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson?

INDUSTRIALMETAL
09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I usually prefer records with originals rather than standards, however, that particular one is amazing. Because of the slower pace, Ray Brown really stretches out.

RhoadsSRV8290
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Coltrane is completely incomparable to Getz when it comes to playing styles. They both play sax, that's about it, imo.

I absolutely agree. If you can, get Roost Quartets. It's a very rare album to see these days. I don't think Amazon even has a new one.

aetherspear
09-15-2007, 06:51 PM

I definately agree. Coltrane was technically better, but getz is more tasteful. depends on my mood.