Suggestions

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

casualty01
12-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Hey everyone :wavey:

Well, as brought up by cold_static in the site forum, the Blues & Jazz forum is highly overlooked and seriously lacking in substance and material (not by B&A Mods or any of the users specifically mind you, it just gets overlooked due to the fact that there's nothing special drawin in attention. and also lets face it, the blues & jazz fans to Rock/metal/punk fans ratio is rather small lol)

so, as suggested by cold_static and frigginjerk, I, along with beat if he's got the time, will begin adding new features, articles, and AOTW.

AOTW you say? Artist Of The Week.

now, the name change to Artist Of The Week is due largely to the fact that the biggest names in Blues and Jazz (more so jazz) are not guitarists at all. yes of course guitarists play a large part (more so in Blues) and will definitley be covered thoroughly, as this IS a Guitar website lol, but you can't deny the fact that most revolutionary and influencial figures in Jazz havn't been guitarists, but rather horn players, bassists, pianists etc.. (with a couple exceptions)

so, with that we're going to start calling it AOTW, or even IOFT (Icon of the week)

havn't decided which yet. or maybe leave it as AOTW and make special Icon editions that spotlight the Giants of jazz (i.e. Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Duke Thelonius, McCoy Tyner etc..) ........... who knows. that's why I'm Making this thread. I want to hear your (B&J regulars and anyone else) suggestions, ideas, thoughts.

there's alot we could do really, as Jazz & Blues have a much more larger history than any other music genre presented on this board...

we could have.......

<li>AOTW
<li>Icon spotlights
<li>Album reviews <-- (i specifically love this idea)
<li>a "suggested listening" sticky
<UL><LI>this is another great idea imo. since jazz and blues is more an aural (hearing) art than anything, and the best way of learning jazz is comprised largely of listening to the masters and learning from what they did (i.e. transcribing, learning their licks, singing their solo's etc..) that I think this would be a great idea and highly beneficial to everyone. idea ........ especially along with Album reviews.</LI></UL>
<li>specific jazz Gear reviews
<UL><LI>(i.e. hollowbody's, classic Jazz amps, etc..)</LI></UL>
<li>Young Guns reviews <UL><LI>(articles on up and coming unknown or revolutionary jazz cats)</LI></UL>
<li>History articles
<li>venue articles (famous jazz clubs, allthough this could be a part of the history thing)

anyway, as you can see, I have alot of ideas and the options/possibilities are wide open. I've always wanted to run/help run this forum, but, as there never was that much traffic to it, i didn't think anybody really gave a crap lol....... I'm glad to see i was wrong.

so, post away. give me your suggestions, critique my suggestions, add some ideas to mine, present your own etc..
and if anyone's willing to help out that'd be great.

so..... let's get to it. and make this the best damn B&A forum there is ;)

:cheers:

Cas-:peace:

JH013
12-04-2003, 02:04 AM
i think the best ideas are AOTW on the most famous jazz musicians and a suggested listening sticky. then maybe if more people start replying to those threads, then history and gear/album reviews will follow.

personally, im excited to get more jazz in this forum because i dont know nearly half as much about jazz as i do about blues.

Dreadnought
12-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I think the Jazz Gear Review would be quite a good idea, probably one of my favorites out of that list...

However, what did you mean by Icon Spotlight?

ZepHedJack
12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
What about "How to Play as..." articles? Giving exmaples of famous players styles and licks from them. That'd be damn cool.

JH013
12-04-2003, 08:44 PM
^ a "Famous Licks- And How to Play" thread would be cool... but i dont think enough people here know enough about the styles of people to write an article on them.

JH013
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Dreadnought
I think the Jazz Gear Review would be quite a good idea, probably one of my favorites out of that list...

However, what did you mean by Icon Spotlight?

Icon Spotlight would be like an AOTW on the big musicians of jazz like Louie Armstrong, Miles Davis, Ellington, Coltrane... (thats what i think)

cold_static544
12-05-2003, 04:15 AM
One more thing is really guitar theory, and i believe that Cas would be a totally great help. I know that theory is already discussed in Musician's talk but none of it is really jazz-specific. I hope that there would be a theory column about Jazz scales, chords, improvisation, etc.

As for blues, its really a easy to learn but difficult to master kinda thing, so when you're playing blues, use your soul not your head.........(just my 2 cents anyway), but its really up to whoever who is in charge of the theory (or if there will even be a theory section)

Dr._G._Funk
12-11-2003, 06:32 PM
wow I love the idea it takes a while for new informtion to get to this forum, and I like the album review. I want to learn more about jazz, I am a blues guy, but they are so intertwined that they really are the same.

Maybe do a AOTW for both genres (blues, and Jazz), and an album review every couple of weeks for either of the genres??
I know little on the subject off jazz and want to learn more, but if you need help on blues aspects, I may me of use...

The Dr.

weezer_rock
12-16-2003, 10:15 PM
im new, and i hate that the jazz and blues section is lacking in content. ive been a guitarist for a year and my favorite stuff to play is blues. Gear review looks great. And i have some AOTW that i can put up. Good luck

this site will not be overlooked by me

weezer_rock
12-16-2003, 10:18 PM
TO JHO13

YEAH CLASH.

Daveo
01-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I like the recommended listening idea...I wouldn't really dwell too much into an artist without some kind of idea of what they sound like.
I downloaded a Robert Johnson song a while ago and I wasn't too impressed. Actually two. If I hadda heard him before, I wouldn'ta got them.
What I'm sayin is, it helps to have an idea of an artist's sound first.

perfec_circl
01-16-2004, 12:33 PM
I didn't read it, but because you're Cas, I'll :cheers: to it.

gnr8801
01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I think there should be a sticky thread of blues/jazz artist recommendations, like a list that people getting into the genre can look to for a good introduction into it and to know what good blues and jazz is. I'm thinking of starting the thread up, so if/when I do, could a mod possibly sticky it if it gets a good list going?

P.S, PM me with ideas for the list. I'm very limited in jazz artist knowledge, so I'll be leaving that up to some of the other people in this forum.

casualty01
01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
ok people, i'm VERY sorry that i haven't actually DONE anything in here lol ......... but i've been pretty busy with other things (you'll all know about it soon enough hehe)

tomorrow i have my lessons and then I'll be posting my next theory lesson (so you best check it out *shakes fist* :p: )

AND I will make up the suggested listening...... and possibly, if I have time, my Artist of the Week.

thanks for your patience guys!

Cas-:peace:

jethrotullrules
01-30-2004, 01:20 AM
AOTW - thats a good idea.

Andrewbiles
02-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ZepHedJack
What about "How to Play as..." articles? Giving exmaples of famous players styles and licks from them. That'd be damn cool.

That's a good idea, but that would probably be more suited to the R&R forum.

skeggley
02-13-2004, 09:55 PM
I thought it was the best Blues and Jazz forum already!

Serlas
03-01-2004, 04:25 PM
but it can only get better, can't it?

Slurgi
03-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I think i have a great idea, personally.

That whole "Main genres" category below Bands and Artists on the main page...

Just eliminate the others and have the only one be Blues and Jazz :)

Dipstick
04-03-2004, 12:48 PM
The AOTW idea is really good. ZepHedJack's idea is good too... If someone did an AOTW and included a short biography,some of the techniques the artist uses, and a couple catchy licks or riffs to try out...better than buying a magazine.:)

Seany
05-01-2004, 01:44 AM
i would love to see some history articles popping up, especially about Eric Clapton and Robert Johnson. Ive been piecing things together through the net and magazines and such, but theres alotta gaps...

lsw444
06-21-2004, 08:51 AM
well, if its not going to be quantity of threads, better make sure its quality!

Parlour-Tricks
07-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Do ZephedJack's idea. But make two threads (jazz and blues. duh). So that way no one is confused on the matta'.

2000man
07-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I really like the AOTW idea. Kind of like a "Patron Saint" kind of thing. Maybe include a brief bio, some pics, and a link that contains a sound clip. That would give people a good idea of what the artist is all about.

ZoSo_420
10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
a gear guide for blues and jazz would be good

power freak
10-10-2004, 09:15 AM
A gear guide to blues and jazz would be stupid IMHO. I mean some of the blues guys have used the weirdest guitars that totally do not suit the style. The same with jazz, Bill Frisell for example won't play anything other than his Klein BF-96, that is totally not a jazz guitar but he still manages to coax great sounds from it.

I would love to see an album review thread. I would put them all in one thread instead of like an album of the week/month or whatever. We would have to set rules for what has to be included in the review though like: legnth, style (fusion, be-bop, smooth, acid or whatever) musicians on the album, overall comments etc.

Derigiberble
02-08-2005, 04:21 PM
i'll do a blues quiz if one of the mods will put it in the important section. Basically i'll ask 10 questions and get people to pm me their answers so that no1 else reads them in the post. I tried it in classic rock but jono wouldnt put it in the important section and cos i just told people not to post in it it just kept going down.

pahoehoe13
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
how about a jazz/blues trading thread... im sure that theres alot of great jazz and blues mp3s out there that alot of us havnt heard... it would be a way to introduce people to other artists and to share rare live performances, covers, and jam sessions between some of the best jazz and blues artists

acdc101
06-10-2005, 09:49 PM
As you know, the Blues and Jazz forum is very slow, painfully slow at times. I have a suggestion that may liven things up a bit, or attract more people who wouldn't regulary post there.

In the 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive forum, there is a stickied thread entitled "**The Random Shred Chat Thread**." I was thinking we could put a thread like that in the B&J forum. If it matters anything, The Blues Mafia (A club that holds blues chats) are backing the idea. We think it would bring more traffic into the forum, which is sadly the slowest of all 11 B&A forums.

TNfootballfan62
06-10-2005, 10:01 PM
^^^Not a bad idea. ;)

Kurt_Cobain77
06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by acdc101
As you know, the Blues and Jazz forum is very slow, painfully slow at times. I have a suggestion that may liven things up a bit, or attract more people who wouldn't regulary post there.

In the 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive forum, there is a stickied thread entitled "**The Random Shred Chat Thread**." I was thinking we could put a thread like that in the B&J forum. If it matters anything, The Blues Mafia (A club that holds blues chats) are backing the idea. We think it would bring more traffic into the forum, which is sadly the slowest of all 11 B&A forums.

thats a great idea..blues and jazz is horribly slow

Steph Bets
06-18-2005, 05:55 AM
im likeing the AOTW and jazz and blues gear ideas.

mud
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM

Does anyone have any objections to me starting that thread? I think it's a good idea.

Would Lazy, Beatallica_fan or Morbid death be prepared to sticky it if, hypothetically, it were to emerge?

Blues and Jazz is probably the most static of the bands and artists forums, I think that woud liven things up a bit (especially seeing as Mad Marius' thread in the pit gave me the opportunity to moan that no-one's ever here.)

~Ben

acdc101
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
^ No objections here. Though I will have to be credited. :p:

EDIT: You already made it! My mistake.

redwing_suck
06-22-2005, 02:02 AM
I don't know if this is where I post it... but can I do the next AOTW on Benny Greene?

mud
06-22-2005, 03:21 AM
^ No objections here. Though I will have to be credited. :p:

EDIT: You already made it! My mistake.

And you're credited ;)

Sorry about that, I got bored of waiting for affirmation

beatallica_fan
06-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by redwing_suck
I don't know if this is where I post it... but can I do the next AOTW on Benny Greene?

yes

El Mariachi
06-22-2005, 04:55 AM
No don't split up the forum, the B and J is already small enough without them being slip up, I like the AOTW idea and the history and venue articles

The_Strat_Man
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
^ Beat, do you mind if I do a GOTW (Gear of the week) kind of thing? My article would be on Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The_Strat_Man
06-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Also, Beat, I have a suggestion that we combine the two Suggested Listening Artists posts into one thread. The top two posts in the thread would be of the Blues and Jazz artists, so, it'll cut down on the number of stickies.

beatallica_fan
06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Gear thing on SRV, yeah thats fine, and i will get on combining the two threads now.

The_Strat_Man
06-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks Beat. I'll submit my gear review in a coupla' days... Lemme' just finish it.

shadows666
07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
how about a thread of how certain guitarists got their start in the music world? I would love to know who made clapton want to be a guitarist or why hendrix wrote the stuff he wrote.

The_Strat_Man
07-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Acid and LSD for the latter ^^

Kurt_Cobain77
07-16-2005, 07:03 PM
I don't know if this has been suggested but we could do like an only thread..example-classic rock - The only "The Who" thread.

The_Strat_Man
07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Kurt_Cobain77
I don't know if this has been suggested but we could do like an only thread..example-classic rock - The only "The Who" thread.

No, that would only take away from the general discussion (which we don't have a lot of already).

Kurt_Cobain77
07-16-2005, 07:11 PM
What about trivia games like guess the blues riff or guess the blues artist or something of that nature

The_Strat_Man
07-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Kurt_Cobain77
What about trivia games like guess the blues riff or guess the blues artist or something of that nature

Those sound cool. :cheers:

las7
07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Wondering if anyone likes Everlast in your forum?!

ando3300
08-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Can anybody reccomend a Pat Matheny album???

power freak
08-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ando3300
Can anybody reccomend a Pat Matheny album???
Most of his stuff is good. Most people will probably point you in the direction of "Bright Size Life" for a first album but I personally prefer some of his other stuff.

"(Still) Life talking" is quite good, Minuano (6/8) is IMO his most legendary composition. "Off Ramp" is also good on the most part. But at the moment my choice ishis latest: "The way up" It's a single 68 minute 10 second long composition of re-occuring themes and is absolutely inspiring.

A word of warning about Pat: His music isn't the kind you get into "instantly". 90% of the negative reviews about his music normally comes from people who have listened to the album once or twice.

PS: It's Metheny if you're trying to look on amazon or somewhere.

beatallica_fan
08-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Lewis have you heard his one quiet night album, its a very different affair, just him on acoustic baritone guitars with some nice fingerstyle jazz playing, just wondered what you thought of it.

power freak
08-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
Hey Lewis have you heard his one quiet night album, its a very different affair, just him on acoustic baritone guitars with some nice fingerstyle jazz playing, just wondered what you thought of it.
Unfortunately no. :(

When I saw him live he did an amazing peice on "pikasso" that might have been off the album? It was absolutely beautiful. The rhythmic changes in that track were really interesting.

http://www.chez.com/fredkakon/images/metheny/pikasso.jpg

BTW his collab with Sco on "I can See Your House from Here" seems like a great album too, but I've only heard a few tracks off it.

Steve Cropper
08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
We should have a different frequenter of the forum do a state of the forum address each weekend. It is a random idea but, I think it sounds cool.

The_Strat_Man
09-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Sounds cool! ^

We need a new Blues AOTM.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
10-09-2005, 11:13 PM
^I'll do it, just someone needs to fill me in a bit on what exactly I need to do. I've never done an AOTM before, but it doesnt seem that complicated anyway.

I'd probably do Keb' Mo's Just Like You.

Steve Cropper
10-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Review the album song by song I guess. Provide a bit of a backstory to the recording of it to.

al_
10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I wouldnt mind doing an AOTW sometime either. Not anytime soon but im thinking im doing it on SOnny Terry ans Brownie Mcgee - 2 excellent blues musicians who I personally dont think get mentioned enough.

CptMorgan
01-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I think if there was a weekly blues Jam, or a competition type thread the blues forum would get a lot more attention, also it would be a lot of fun.

Gabuydachk
03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
^that's a great idea, but I think weekly would be too much, at first
we should start w/ monthly
then, once we get this thing going, we'll be able to do weekly, but it needs time

can i suggest, if we do tha jams, add different styles (i.e., blues, jazz, funk, fusion, jam rock, etc.)

shorter_rocker
04-08-2006, 01:53 AM
^ a "Famous Licks- And How to Play" thread would be cool... but i dont think enough people here know enough about the styles of people to write an article on them.

I know, and can quickly learn, a lot of licks from famous blues and jazz players, and would be willing to give my time to either write, or assist in the writing of something like this

I know when I was learning guitar I wanted something like that

Stinging_Acid
05-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Apart from AOTW, we could have Threads on Biographies of Blues and Jazz Artists, both present and past legends.

*EDIT* I would be glad to help write some.

NotOneWithNames
08-22-2006, 04:28 AM
i think the album reviews would be wonderful. ive got a few albums i could elaborate on; and in doing that you could provide links in that article to certain "styles", people, eras, and so on that get that much more indepth.

one of the most interesting things about blues to me is Robert Johnson. i think that is his name. . . .. the pioneer.. . . . supposebly sold his soul to the devil at the cross roads in. . . . .. .memphis. . .maybe. . . .some where? i dont really rember. maybe post somthing like that on the home page of UG instead of somthing like metalica or slip knot, and all those rock and roller bands. not every day, but once a month or somthing.

everyone knows who eric clapton is, but most people only know Layla, Cocain, Tears in Heaven, and Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out. now having said that; those are not a "bluesie" as clapton gets AND i think it would be a great eye opener to some of his other songs like. .. . . Walkin Blues and Before You Accuse Me.

the Allman Brothers. . . .Goin Down That Road Feelin Bad. . .. Midnight Rider. . .. .. .

i think there are pleanty of bands out there that would grab people attentions and kind of "lead" them to "the other side" of the band. . .. . . the blues as opposed to the more rock and roll.

im thinkin there should be some sort of link to give people a taste of what they are missing or somthing they have over looked. a link that is simple. . . . . you click it. . . .it takes you to the page. . . . and the song immediately plays. give people somthing to listen to. also have a quick little reference on this site. maybe some of that artists influences and similar artists. i dont think people should be aloud to comment on this page either. some people are a little to worried about image and might decide they dont like the blues simply beacuse IpLaYGeeTaRGood7156 said he hated it. nothing more, nothing less. simple.

i dont know that i would be much help, but im more then willing to help in any way i can with this. i think it would be fun and interesting.

Anty 7
08-30-2006, 06:34 AM
what would be the best Joe Bonamassa record?

If you want additional help on tabs, guitar lessons, forums, getting drugs, or just a personal issue, DeSean is willing to help.

Voting for DeSean is a vote for yourself, together we can all win.

mark-2007
10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Has anything from the opening list been carried out yet on the Blues & Jazz forum, I'd love an Icon of the Week to read.

NotOneWithNames
11-26-2006, 09:11 PM
somthing should be done about Robert Johnson...

Encore_God
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
somthing should be done about Robert Johnson...

... apparently, a jealous husband already took care of that one.

Just_a_picker
11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
^ haha, that's funny.

I like the licks idea. If I had the patience to learn THEIR licks without perverting them to fit my style I'd contribute.

jazz_croatia
04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I am willing to contribute in any aspect of this part of the forum.
I can start writing bios, rewiews and all the other stuff right away.
People should mention what artists they want to hear about and we could start some new threads.

tilleking
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I've seen it done on the Classic Rock and Modern Rock forums.

THE SONG GAME!!

Basically, you say the name of a blues song, then the artist name, then the next person has to use at least one of the words from your song and say the name of another with that word in.

It's simple, and a laugh. Should I start a thread? Or will it just be a bit pointless?

Bahama_Blues
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
No, start it for sure.

Mr.Cuddles
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
some other forums have a jam thread were the whole forum jams prehaps we could do a blues jam and a jazz jam as well as having duels?

ze monsta
02-05-2008, 03:41 PM
some other forums have a jam thread were the whole forum jams prehaps we could do a blues jam and a jazz jam as well as having duels?
There is a blues album in the making already, and I think there are jams too. Not sure tho.

GD_GC
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Well has anyone else noticed that this forum has picked up in activity noticeably in the past few months or so? That's pretty amazing.

But yeah, we have the duels, the album, and the UG's Blues Bands or whatever that thread was called. That's a lot of interesting things that are new to the forum. I think we are on the right track to making this a bigger and better forum.

What does everyone think about a random chat thread here in this forum, for all the regulars? Metal has one and so do other forums, maybe we could do it?

ze monsta
02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Do it! It's not gonna hurt is it!

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Mmm yeah, it has picked up quite a bit, ever since I started coming here :haha :p:

I like it bigger, but I don't like it when it's a huge forum because it's hard to keep track of your posts and such. Plus when it's smaller, you get a better sense of community where everyone knows each other and stuff.

ze monsta
02-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Mmm yeah, it has picked up quite a bit, ever since I started coming here :haha :p:

I like it bigger, but I don't like it when it's a huge forum because it's hard to keep track of your posts and such. Plus when it's smaller, you get a better sense of community where everyone knows each other and stuff.

+1

imgooley
02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Has anything from the opening list been carried out yet on the Blues & Jazz forum, I'd love an Icon of the Week to read.
I like that idea

TheDev01dOne
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
How come the forum only has 4 pages? Sometimes I go looking for old threads I've made but they're gone... I can get to them through my subscriptions but once stuff goes off the 4th page it just disappears??

Is there a reason for this or is it some kind of glitch?

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:47 AM
I am going to do an Icon of the Month next month

TheDev01dOne
03-27-2008, 04:15 AM
I take my last post back BTW.. just found the thing down the bottom where you make it show every thread forever. Lol I feel like a n00b.

imgooley
03-27-2008, 04:16 AM
It's alright dude........

there is no hate in the blues forum

only the blues...........

Gris-Gris-Man
07-10-2008, 11:31 PM
who digs avant guarde jazz?

ze monsta
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
^ Wrong thread.

imgooley
08-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a suggestion.

Can we get the remade artists' thread stickied and the other taken down/whatever?

ze monsta
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a suggestion.

Can we get the remade artists' thread stickied and the other taken down/whatever?

Indeed, this shoulda happened ages ago.

imgooley
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Are there any mods who actually look into the suggestions in this forum?

Is the blues and jazz forum an object of obscurity?

sbinlb
12-10-2008, 12:59 AM
need recomendation for good jazz or blues songs to play that are not too advanced or intermediate