Derek Trucks??

PDA

View Full Version : Derek Trucks??

L_Buckingham
09-12-2007, 06:34 AM
I think this guys slide playing is great!! but does any one hve any tabs or any scales he uses... he's supposed to be using like some sort of gospel vocal scale??

I know derek trucks uses microtones and i think he uses mostly a major scale for the gospel-esque stuff.

deluxity
09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
not really, he just has an amazing phrasing skill

L_Buckingham
09-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Hes must use a scale though. :rolleyes:

ledhed68
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Yea, he uses the scale of the key of the song or just plays on the chord changes.

L_Buckingham
09-14-2007, 06:53 AM
So he uses either major or minor scale then? LOL it seems this is not a very spoken about topic? :p:

TheHeartbreaker
09-14-2007, 05:33 PM
He uses the Blues scale (obviously), but throws in a lot of dissonant and off-scale notes as well.

I remember reading a great interview of him where he explained many aspects of his playing, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Ramblin'_Man
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
heartbreaker if you find that please post im very interested as well

TheHeartbreaker
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I'll continue searching. :)

psychodelia
09-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a GW interview with him... but I haven't gotten GW for several years now, so it's a bit old.

ledhed68
09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
He uses the Blues scale (obviously), but throws in a lot of dissonant and off-scale notes as well.

I remember reading a great interview of him where he explained many aspects of his playing, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Was it a video? because if it was, I think i saw it and i believe it's no longer on youtube.

Derek <3's You!
09-16-2007, 04:01 PM
He's a good player but i met him in person and he has to be the biggest arse I've ever met.

ledhed68
09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
He's a good player but i met him in person and he has to be the biggest arse I've ever met.

Really? Care to explain why?

L_Buckingham
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I remember watching the derek trucks interview you guys are all talking about. I think it was for guitar world. It's not on youtube anymore and i can find it anywhere on the web. From watching Derek Trucks play its like he gives every note he plays the slightest vibrato to give it that more vocal quality.

Derek <3's You!
09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Really? Care to explain why?

I went to a show in Milwaukee and he was there. I'm not the person to ask for an autograph so i just decided to talk to him for a second.. I mean he was standing there, by the gate, just standing.

I went up and started a conversation, I told him i loved his playing and asked him some usual things. We conversed normally for a minute, and he seemed like a nice dude. Then asked him what he was doing standing here all alone and he wigged out like i was calling him a f*cking loser. He told me straight up to f*ck off and looked away.. I definitely was not going to kick his ass, i have too much respect for any guitar player but i was just flabbergasted at what he did. As i was walking away he was talking ****. He said something like, "Yeah, walk away kid. Good choice."

I'm not sure if you are familiar with me, but I'm a huge ass mother****er. (6'5, 275lbs. I have my own weight equipment.) His comments were so out of place because he's not the biggest man i've ever met.

Idunno if he's just bi-polar or what.. If he's not, he's a plain up arse.

ledhed68
09-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I went to a show in Milwaukee and he was there. I'm not the person to ask for an autograph so i just decided to talk to him for a second.. I mean he was standing there, by the gate, just standing.

I went up and started a conversation, I told him i loved his playing and asked him some usual things. We conversed normally for a minute, and he seemed like a nice dude. Then asked him what he was doing standing here all alone and he wigged out like i was calling him a f*cking loser. He told me straight up to f*ck off and looked away.. I definitely was not going to kick his ass, i have too much respect for any guitar player but i was just flabbergasted at what he did. As i was walking away he was talking ****. He said something like, "Yeah, walk away kid. Good choice."

I'm not sure if you are familiar with me, but I'm a huge ass mother****er. (6'5, 275lbs. I have my own weight equipment.) His comments were so out of place because he's not the biggest man i've ever met.

Idunno if he's just bi-polar or what.. If he's not, he's a plain up arse.

Maybe he was just going through some emotional tragedy or maybe he was just high, but still, that's a bit odd of him. Out of curiosity, when did they come to Milwaukee? Were they at the Riverside?

Derek <3's You!
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Maybe he was just going through some emotional tragedy or maybe he was just high, but still, that's a bit odd of him. Out of curiosity, when did they come to Milwaukee? Were they at the Riverside?

I'm not sure when it was but we were at this small jazz fusion festival at a bigger club. I was tripping ass the whole night so, really i have no idea what was going on. Do you think i could have mistaken derek trucks for a wall? :confused: I don't think it was in my head, my friends pointed him out.

TheHeartbreaker
09-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Was it a video? because if it was, I think i saw it and i believe it's no longer on youtube.

That's not the interview I had in mind, but I do remember that video interview. I have been trying to find it for months now, but as you say, it's probably no longer on YouTube.

I remember the video was a good interview, though Derek would basically end up laughing after everything he said.