reversing and turning pickups upside down?

PDA

View Full Version : reversing and turning pickups upside down?

Gorre
09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
so i messed up today by untightning the pickup screws today so the pickup fell in, so i was wondering since i have the pickgaurd off and everything, whats the differnce between pickups that are in normal position, turned around, or upside down?

mr_hankey
09-13-2007, 08:44 AM
If it's a singlecoil pickup, and the polepieces are flat: nothing. If they are staggered, the volume balance between the strings will be changed a bit.

Gorre
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
so not even putting the pickup upside down so that the bar is facing up will change it?and the pole pieces are flat

TheDev01dOne
09-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I was gonna say just try it and see if anything exciting happens, but then I realised you'd need to restring everytime you take the pickgaurd off and back on I think.

I dunno about single coils but Peter Green did something like turned his neck humbucker around backwards and flipped a magnet (I think?) and so it was out of phase with the bridge pickup and gives a sweet nasal lead tone in the middle position. That was in a les paul though.

kaplac
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
no, they won't really change it very much. Upside down as in 180 degree turn to the left/right? or upside down like 180 degree turn down/up?

If they are flat, there isn't a big difference at all. unless you messed with the string volume balance with hte screws on a humbucker, there won't be a noticable change at all.

Gorre
09-13-2007, 08:56 AM
upside down to me is like, since the default is with pole pieces up, the upside down to me would be with the pole pieces pointing down

CorduroyEW
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
IF you did it to all 3 pickups it wouldn't change anything. If you only did it to 1 or 2 pickkups it could make the pickups that you flip over so that they are out of phase. Switching the leads would do exactly the same thing and it would be easier to do.

Gorre
09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
switching the leads?

Cosimo_Zaretti
09-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I was gonna say just try it and see if anything exciting happens, but then I realised you'd need to restring everytime you take the pickgaurd off and back on I think.

I took a suggestion out of a guitar mag which is just loosening off the strings and removing the neck. (assuming bolt on neck obviously) I tried it other day when I was trying to stop my neck pup bouncing around, saved a heap of time and I got to find out the exact build date of my tele.

Gorre
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
i flipped all 3 pickups upside down and now in the uhm i think it is bridge position (switch is all the way towards you) it gives a sweet sustain on the 12th fret harmonic so it sounds sorta like feedback, but not as nasty

CorduroyEW
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
switching the leads?

Yeah. That means you wire the black wire to the switch and the white wire to the ground instead of white to switch and black to ground.

i flipped all 3 pickups upside down and now in the uhm i think it is bridge position (switch is all the way towards you) it gives a sweet sustain on the 12th fret harmonic so it sounds sorta like feedback, but not as nasty

If it wasn't doing that before, then it's going to be because you have the pickups closer to the strings, not because you flipped it up side down.

Gorre
09-13-2007, 02:56 PM
actually, i took off the pickup cover thing the white one, and i screwed the pickup on upside down, and like the pickup si below the pickgaurd, so i dont know why its doing it

CorduroyEW
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Because pickups will work just as well from the bottom as they do from the top. So the bottom of the pickup is now closer to the strings than the top of the pickup was before you started changing stuff around.

There is always a chance I'm not understanding what you did so a picture could help.