what does the "x" mean on tabs

PDA

View Full Version : what does the "x" mean on tabs

gangsta1033
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
what does the x mean on the tabs? what do i play?

Metallica_Man55
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
the x means palm mute. usually if it shows on all 6 strings, you don't really have to play the palm mute (sometimes called P.M., not to be confused with Private Message in the forums) on all of the strings, just usually one or two at most. palm mutes are a very important part of most songs, so it's good to learn what they are.

EDIT: In case you didn't know, palm mutes are when you mute the end of the string with your palm. try looking it up in the lessons if you don't understand. it gives the song a heavy metal sound (in metal and other affiliated genres, with the use of distortion), and with clean songs (no distortion) it gives it a scratchy sound, not used as often in clean songs. P.M. (personal message) me if you need any other help.

gangsta1033
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
erm so what are palm mutes?

guitaristben
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
yep

MiniMusicMasta
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
metallica man is slightly wrong. pm under a tab means palm mute. the x u are after means mute. this is where you put your finger on the string but dont fret a note. you then pick the string to get a click sounds

guitaristben
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
put ur palm against the bridge of the guitar and it should give like a chukka sound and mute the strings, metallica use this alot, a good example would be green day - basket case.

Metallica_Man55
09-13-2007, 03:49 PM
put ur palm against the bridge of the guitar and it should give like a chukka sound and mute the strings, metallica use this alot, a good example would be green day - basket case.

agreed, most of metallica's verses contain lots of muting, such as sandman, intro to master of puppets (verse as well if i'm not mistaken), among others.

EDIT: can't believe i forgot this, but one (metallica) also has a lot of palm mutes.

gangsta1033
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
thanks

Metallica_Man55
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
metallica man is slightly wrong. pm under a tab means palm mute. the x u are after means mute. this is where you put your finger on the string but dont fret a note. you then pick the string to get a click sounds

didn't know that. i thought they were the same thing lol.

i think i get what he means though. in sandman (metallica), one of the tabs i remember had p.m. with a bunch of dashes next to it under the tab.

XenonBlade
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
erm so what are palm mutes?
Palm muting is lightly 'dulling' the strings by pressing your palm lightly against the strings near the bridge, look up vids on youtube for it, you can learn it there.
Oh yeah and if the x is only on 1 string, then just lightly touch that string with your frettin hand when playing the chord, that'll mute just that string so you can play a note at either side of that string without sounding the middle 1.

Metallica_Man55
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
look up vids on youtube for it, you can learn it there.

youtube is a great source for guitar lessons, especially the basics.

Dameonx
09-13-2007, 07:08 PM
guys thats not palm mute... thats usually PM or periods written under the tab. When there is an "x" it means mute with your fingers and strum it, so it makes a percussive plucking noise. What minimusicmaster is saying is correct.

Hultan
09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Just lay your finger on the string, not like press it down, just stop it from making a sound.

TSelman
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
x means "Dead note", not palm mute...