Mark Knophler/Dire Straits Jazz?

PDA

View Full Version : Mark Knophler/Dire Straits Jazz?

biohazardist
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Who considers Mark Knophler a jazz guitarest? Some of his stuff seems to touch on the jazz, and that is how I started getting into jazz. By listening to my dads old Dire Straits Tapes LOL. But anyway, I'm not sure if anyone would really consider him a jazz guitar player, do you?

TheHeartbreaker
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't exactly consider him a Jazz player; I consider him a Rock guitairst who plays Jazz from time to time.

TheDev01dOne
09-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Yea he certainly has some jazzier explorations but he's not a jazz guitarist. He's great though.

Songs like Fade to black and private investigation seem to give a jazzy vibe IMO

Resiliance
09-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I agree with the comments above.

dr_john
09-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Mark has a lot of influences - rock, blues, jazz and even country at times. I wouldn't call him a jazz guitarist or any other genre really, he is just a great guitar player who likes to experiment with a lot of different styles.

The National D
10-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Again, I don't think he's a jazz guitarist, but he has managed to absorb some jazzy influences into his playing. That, I think, is his strength. He's not a particulary adventurous or inventive player, but he has a knack for integrating different styles eloquently.