minor pentatonic scales in drop D tuning

PDA

View Full Version : minor pentatonic scales in drop D tuning

rosecityboy1990
09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
can someone enlighten me on how to do it?

markazord
09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
play everything on the low e string two steps higher

Smokey Amp
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Just raise everything you would normally play on the low E by two frets?

*One step.

JDawg
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Look up the minor penatonic scale right here on UG.

Tune your top E string to a D. One octave below the D string under your A string. Get it?

EDIT: Oh... You worded it dumb. Read the posts above me.

rosecityboy1990
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
but if im using an electronic tuner dont i just tune the low E string to D like the same way i would tune the other standard tuned D string?

Smokey Amp
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
but if im using an electronic tuner dont i just tune the low E string to D like the same way i would tune the other standard tuned D string?

Yes, you would.

You should try and get into the habit of tuning by ear, though. It's tough at first, but it definitely pays off.

Just remember, E to D is a downward tuning. :p:

SumFenderFan41
09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, I don't know if your asking this, but how you tune to drop D, at least without a tuner is just pluck the D string (3rd lowest) and at the same time detune the lowest string until they sound like an octave, you shouldn't be able to miss it. And I don't know if you're asking this, but for minor pentatonic, I'd just play Aeolian. It kicks ass. Hooray Aeolian!

chrismetal86
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok, I don't know if your asking this, but how you tune to drop D, at least without a tuner is just pluck the D string (3rd lowest) and at the same time detune the lowest string until they sound like an octave, you shouldn't be able to miss it. And I don't know if you're asking this, but for minor pentatonic, I'd just play Aeolian. It kicks ass. Hooray Aeolian!

or you just make the 12th fret on the e string sound like the open d string

or play a harmonic on the 5th fret on the e string and play a harmonic on the 12t fret on the d string try to make the 5th fret harmonic sound like the 12th fret harmonic

Steve The Plank
09-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Two half-steps*