John McLaughlin

PDA

View Full Version : John McLaughlin

'Floods!'
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I got The Essential John McLaughlin today, and this guy is one of most underrated guitarists ever. He's done blues, jazz, fusion, flamenco, classical, Indian - in short, everything, and he's got incredible technique.

I advise everyone else to worship him.

matt92l
09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
i certainly do worship him amazing guitar. ive started really liking the mahavishnu orchestra

Blind In 1 Ear
09-19-2007, 03:48 PM
ive only seen youtube stuff of his with paco de lucia. i was thinking about getting some of his stuff but havent really gotten around to it yet.

therussian
09-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Mahavishnu FTW. A lot of my friends went to his concert 3 days ago. They said it was amazing

sinan90
09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
His stuff with Miles = orgasmic.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
His stuff with Miles is great - He's one of my top guitarist influences. His stuff with Shakti blows my mind.

deluxity
09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
he seems underrated for the normal guitarist, but people who's into jazz, normally worship him (as i do)

Axegrinder#9
09-28-2007, 12:23 AM
apparently when he was around his 30s, Miles saw one of his concerts, and then later went back stage and told him to stop playing music, 'cos according to Miles, McLaughlin had done it all.

:bow:

Bootsauce
09-28-2007, 12:09 PM
To this day, the best concert I've ever seen, was McLaughlin at Massey Hall in Toronto(bout 15 years ago) just blew me away; I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and how unspeakably talented this musician was. Lucky for me, he's coming back Oct 5th!!!!

Slash 602
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXcMk6OG1Xc :down:

GreekRockr9
05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
McLaughlin is a ****ing god. I've been trying to turn every last one of my friends on to him.

meh!
05-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't get in to him personally, as i"ve stated elsewhere.

Telecaster_AGY
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I love Mahavishnu Orchestra and his guitar work is really incredible.

nightraven
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
i love listening to him, with the rest of the trio of doom :)

BigTex
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
McLaughlin was responsible for me giving up guitar for over 20 years. He is unplayable - absolutely, on every level - he can do it and more, faster, scarier and more outrageously trhan anyone else out there - and all of it in a totally controlled manner. I tried and died. He plays with his eyes to the heavens as though in direct commune with the gods. Nearest rock guitarist would be a cross between Jeff Beck and Bob Fripp. Listen out for John Mc L dueting with Carlos Santana doing Coltrane - massive!

laurel333
05-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Trio Of Doom is amazing

As is Mahavishnu Orchestra

And the stuff he did with Miles

He's such a fantastic guitarist - he played Eric Clapton's Crossroads fest in 2007; thats worth a look at (he uses a whammy bar)

I think its best that he's reasonably unknown, it makes listening to his songs more like you've discovered some rare relic

Glory_Box
06-14-2008, 06:42 PM
thought i'd ressurect this to see if anyone has any of his stuff with shakti, and what it's actually like. i have most of the mahavishnu albums, some of his solo stuff, a lot of his work with miles, and think the friday night in san francisco album is one of my all time favourites. but although he's always been known to encorporate "world" music into his playing, i wasn't sure what this stuff was like, as it's supposed to be his "world" phase. is it anything like any of the aforementioned?

Axegrinder#9
06-15-2008, 02:58 AM
thought i'd ressurect this to see if anyone has any of his stuff with shakti, and what it's actually like. i have most of the mahavishnu albums, some of his solo stuff, a lot of his work with miles, and think the friday night in san francisco album is one of my all time favourites. but although he's always been known to encorporate "world" music into his playing, i wasn't sure what this stuff was like, as it's supposed to be his "world" phase. is it anything like any of the aforementioned?

I would say McLaughlin's playing with Shakti is him playing at his highest most introspective and intimate level of musicianship. Beyond merely juxtaposing jazz and indian classical music, he alongwith Zakir, L. Shankar and Viku created a new musical vocabulary. My favorite Shakti album without a doubt, is Natural Elements. I would highly recommend it.

I would also recommend checking out the Remember Shakti group, which is the contemporary avatar of Shakti. It consists of Zakir, along with younger musicians like U. Srinivas on mandolin, Sivamani on percussions, and V. Selvaganesh on the South Indian percussion instruments. It's way cool, McLaughlin plays out of a midi guitar (made by Godin I believe), and Zakir will occasionally spice it up with electronic grooves which he triggers off while playing the tabla. ****'s pretty dope.

GreekRockr9
06-16-2008, 01:09 AM
McLaughlin is without a doubt a genius. In my opinion, the best guitarist to grace this planet. My favorite stuff is with Mahavishnu Orchestra. My guitar teacher put it really well.

"Even if there was nobody else on the planet, as long as John McLaughlin existed, I'd be happy"

Axegrinder#9
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
"Even if there was nobody else on the planet, as long as John McLaughlin existed, I'd be happy"

motion seconded.

laurel333
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Thirded :D

srvflood
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
He is the best improv guitarist bar none. He's amazing, check out the Trio of Doom cd if you haven't already. Amazing guitarist.

pavan
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Check out his new album Floating Point.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
John blazes!!!!!!!

i got a couple albums with him on it
Miles Davis - On the Corner, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mountain Flame, Birds of Fire
Santana - Love Devotion Surrender, Welcome

if you dont have any of these albums.........get em!

ohhey9040
07-09-2008, 02:34 AM
^Don't forget In A Silent Way, in my opinion the best of Miles' fusion recordings. I've heard good things about My Goals's Beyond also, but I might wait until I'm in a more jazz/fusion mode to get it (I'm currently in an indie/alt/punk mode).

Axegrinder#9
07-09-2008, 03:19 AM
^Don't forget In A Silent Way, in my opinion the best of Miles' fusion recordings. I've heard good things about My Goals's Beyond also, but I might wait until I'm in a more jazz/fusion mode to get it (I'm currently in an indie/alt/punk mode).

well get outta that and just go get "My Goals Beyond" - it's hard to pick a favorite from McLaughlin's catalog, but I'd put that within my top five McLaughlin solo ablums.

and on that note, they are (in no particular order):

Extrapolation
My Goals Beyond
Que Alegria
Live at the Royal Festival Hall (with Trilok Gurtu & Kai Eckhardt)
Electric Dreams, Electric Songs

laurel333
07-09-2008, 05:19 AM
I love My Goals Beyond

Its such a brilliant stripped down John after his days recording with Miles. All acoustic - and i dig the world (specifically Indian) influences on this album. The covers on it are also taken to a new level (Goodbye Porkpie Hat/Blue In Green etc.)

His own compositions on the album are fantastic too - i like Follow Your Heart the best.

srvflood
07-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Don't forget Bitches Brew. Amazing album, he's got some awesome licks on that album.

blue_strat
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Friday Night In San Fransisco is all I have with him on it, but they're all amazing on it.

noah22791
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
his acoustic work is really amazing to me, I love his acoustic as much if not more than his other stuff.

Gris-Gris-Man
07-10-2008, 10:21 PM
yea im still tryin to find "In a Silent Way"

i cant seem to find it......but i will get it eventually...i heard its great!

laurel333
07-11-2008, 04:27 AM
it is... ;)

beavers333
07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Probably one of the only guitarists who can play jazz, fusion, classical, indian and blues as if hes dedicated his life to each one of them.

Love, Devotion, Surrender has to be my favorite electric album of his. I highly recommend any Shakti albums as well. First time I heard him when I was 16, my dad put on the L,D,S (not mormon ;)) and my jaw literally dropped.

Nobody can do it like McLaughlin.

ohhey9040
08-13-2008, 01:29 AM
I've decided to ressurect this thread, seeing as I'm listening to some Mahavishnu Orchestra at the moment. I've recently gotten into some stuff outside of his work with Miles. I've listened to The Inner Mounting Flame and My Goal's Beyond and they ****ing blew me away. Haven't quite listened to all of Extrapolation yet, but I've liked what I've heard.

Axegrinder#9
08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah you can't go wrong with his catalog.

However, I will say, that I haven't been as impressed with his last couple of studio outings, it lacks the intensity that one usually associates with McLaughlin. However that said, the live recording of "Floating Point" with his band the 4th Dimension (Gary Husband on keys!) was pretty awesome!

but for contemporary live McLaughlin, I'd without a doubt say that his concert at the Royal Albert Hall with Trilok Gurtu on percussions, and Kai Eckhardt on bass showcases some of his spectacular and most inspired playing.

laurel333
08-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah John himself reckons Floating Point is possibly his best album, which is good when you consider the landmark stuff he's put out or played on :)

And it is a great album no doubt

Jeekay
08-15-2008, 08:15 PM
To all who recommended Extrapolation and My Goal's Beyond, I wholeheartedly agree. Here's to you! :cheers: