Les paul, sticky neck!

PDA

View Full Version : Les paul, sticky neck!

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey all, Ive recently switched from using an IbanezRG to my Les Paul standard Epi.. mainly because the Les Paul sounds ****ing amazing compared to the RG lol

Ive gotten used the the fat neck, its actaully a lot more comftable for rythm and it didnt take too much time to get used to soloing with it... BUT I have a problem!...

When I play with the band and move around I sweat n stuff and my hands get clammy and stick to the guitars neck!! and I move around pretty fast so its a big problem as it makes my solo's sound shoddy!..

You guys reckon it would be worth sanding the varnish/finish off the neck so my hands dont stick to the damn thing??

thischarmingsam
09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Looks like you'd prefer a satin neck, have a looksy at the epiphone lp ultra's neck, you can move fast as hell on that, see if you like that feel.

Darren5591
09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
I used to get it when I first bought my epi les paul, but over time the you lose the stickyness and it becomes fine. I think it's just some residue from the glossy paint.

WickedBeast666
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Yah usally you can wear it away with your thumb.... after awile. Basicly your sanding with the prints of your thumb, but just sanding off the stickyness.

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Looks like you'd prefer a satin neck, have a looksy at the epiphone lp ultra's neck, you can move fast as hell on that, see if you like that feel.

ah, I didnt know they did that I will bear that in mind and check one out when I can :)

I used to get it when I first bought my epi les paul, but over time the you lose the stickyness and it becomes fine. I think it's just some residue from the glossy paint.

Cool, I have to admit I don't know if I feel good about taking sandpaper to the neck

the agony scene
09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
OR your sweating glue
p.s your band rocks

Dog454
09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
It will go away eventually, it's like that with most finished guitar necks, you have to get rid of that layer of un-bonded lacquer that's on there. Once you get used to it, your thumb will toughen up as well, and when you go back to playing on a wood neck, your thumb will slide all over the place.

FacingUsAll
09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
You could take some really fine steel wool to it.

Ibanez20th
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Sand it down with 1200 sand paper.

That will make it feel extremely smooth.

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:15 PM
cool thanks fro replies guys, Think I will just leave it Im gonna have to fashion some kind of finger less glove with out looking like some metal dude for playing live this weekend. I really dont wana mess up as its battle of the bands.. we're already pretty hopeful we'll win but I wana ****in rock out n get it all right!

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Sand it down with 1200 sand paper. That will make it feel extremely smooth.

will that take the paint off? or just smooth off the finish?

FacingUsAll
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
will that take the paint off? or just smooth off the finish?

1200 grit sandpaper is SUPER fine sandpaper. Your finish will be unharmed :).

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
1200 grit sandpaper is SUPER fine sandpaper. Your finish will be unharmed :).

Coolies, right I have 1 more practice on saturday so I'll do that then try it out, with any luck it'll work out! if not still enough time fr my temporary fingerless glove idea lol

Cheers man, chris

Ibanez20th
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
If your really worried I found 2800 sand paper once.

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Nah it should be cool dont worry, I may look out for that down at the store 2moz tho lol

Ibanez20th
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Try an auto store in the finishing section. Its the only place i've ever found the real good stuff.

riffhog
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=FacingUsAll]You could take some really fine steel wool to it.[/QUOTE
+1
I used to make guitar bodies & refinish necks. The steel wool is what I would choose first, then 1200 grit if necessary. I never went over 600 grit when doing finishes because you can polish out the rest to a glass finish. I would even try some car polish or car wax. Your sweat will just bead up on the finish & fly off, & the polish will likely remove whatever's making you stick.
Good luck!

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Hmmm what is steel wool? I will also try the car wax I idea lol

heminder
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
If your really worried I found 2800 sand paper once.
wow...

Ibanez20th
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
^yeah I was pretty suprised myself. It felt like regular paper.

-heartbreaker-
09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I sanded the neck on my Epi Standard, and I dont know why I didnt do it earlier.

it feels like BUDDER!!!

synth002
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I sanded the neck on my Epi Standard, and I dont know why I didnt do it earlier.

it feels like BUDDER!!!

What do you mean you sanded down to the wood yeh?

Ibanez20th
09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
no sanded down the top top layer of clear coat.. Thats what makes it so sticky.

Revrend.
09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
If I wanted to sand down the finish on my neck (epi firebird), how would i go about it? Mainly wondering about what sandpaper to use, how to deal with the binding and what I would put on it after I'm done to get that really smooth buttery feeling that some non-painted necks have

synth002
09-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't worry I'll go with the extra fine sandpaper before I do anthing crazy lol

FrenchBread
09-20-2007, 07:33 PM
It helps if your finish isn't shiny, I'm pretty sure my LP doesn't have a clear coat on it and I don't really have that problem at all.

I will say though, it got easier the more I played it so if your guitar is pretty new in time it should loosen up.

IMO: I'm against the sand paper/steel wool, but thats just me.

SchecterGates
09-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Dude,

sorry for this having NOTHING to do with the thread, but...

Your band rocks.

:p:

synth002
09-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Dude,

sorry for this having NOTHING to do with the thread, but...

Your band rocks.

:p:

Thats okay I'll let you off lol, cheers man thats always nice to hear.. add yourself on myspace dude we will be recording a new slightly more harder rock EP/demo soonish!

RHCPfan01
09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
I sand the finish off of all my necks! Then consider waxing it or oiling it. An unfinished neck is sooooo much smoother and faster.

SchecterGates
09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Thats okay I'll let you off lol, cheers man thats always nice to hear.. add yourself on myspace dude we will be recording a new slightly more harder rock EP/demo soonish!
Haha, alright i just sent a request!

:cheers:

HyperBoy2519
09-20-2007, 07:59 PM
you band kicks ass

synth002
09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I sand the finish off of all my necks! Then consider waxing it or oiling it. An unfinished neck is sooooo much smoother and faster.

Have you done that with a les paul? Im gonna try just taking off a fine layer to begin with I hope that works but I dont know if that will totally slove the problem, so if need be I may well mask the binding and sand the finish off leaving it tidy of course. I swear I read sumwhere that zakk wylde does the same thing..

also.. thanks for the nice comments about me band guys lol :)

RHCPfan01
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Naw, I have only ever done it on strats, and I did it on a buddys Ibanez bass once. I just sort of went at it with 400 grit sandpaper for a minute or so. I have also heard of using 0000 steel wool.

Cocnut Rag
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
How long have you guys been together? You sound great.

MESAexplorer
09-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Try using the guitar cleaners and the canaruba wax or whatever its called. They make finished necks feel extremely smooth.

Wash your hands before you play. It prevents you from sweating like crazy, and it keeps gunk from building up on the neck and strings.

MatrixClaw
09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
It's actually the opposite for me. When I play for a while on my EC-1000 my hands start to sweat and just move around the fretboard like crazy cause it just slides on the finish haha.

tymatt67
09-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I think someone had one with fringe on the neck somehow and that wiped his hands as he played. Sounds pretty cool to me

sg-rocker173
09-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Sweet band. :D

I've never considered the stickiness of my neck on my LP a problem.. maybe I'll throw some car wax on it tomorrow and see what happens. O.o

This won't damage the finish will it? :(

synth002
09-21-2007, 05:29 AM
How long have you guys been together? You sound great.

Thanks man, the bands been going for about a year and a half, ive only been with the band for about 8months but I know I wont be leaving any time soon. Was really lucky to get into a band with such cool & serious people!

It's actually the opposite for me. When I play for a while on my EC-1000 my hands start to sweat and just move around the fretboard like crazy cause it just slides on the finish haha.

Barstard!

I think someone had one with fringe on the neck somehow and that wiped his hands as he played. Sounds pretty cool to me

Im not sure I know know what mean but yesterday I was frantically rubbing my hands on my jeans before solo's ..sadly that didnt help lol

I've never considered the stickiness of my neck on my LP a problem.. maybe I'll throw some car wax on it tomorrow and see what happens. O.o

This won't damage the finish will it? :(

Lucky for you man, I only notice it at practice when im hot n stuff but its totally ruining my playing! I can't see how putting some car wax on it would haurt the finish, im sure it'll be fine!

Also cheers about te band comment lol

chris

synth002
09-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Okay just to et you guys know, I just masked and sanded the neck with pretty damn fine sand paper..

WOW, its real awsome TOTALLY fixed the problem, I sanded and took the shine out then took a damp cloth to it to remove the dust, dried it off then used some good 'ol Turtle wax on the neck and gave it a good polish. Its perfect now, really is like butter!! its gone from a real sticky finish which totally messed up my solo's to a satin finish thats just perfect! I cant wait to jam with the band now! I totally advise this mod to ANYONE who finds the neck on their Les Paul sticky and awkward, its easy and makes a HUGE differnce and only takes a few minutes.. just tke the time to mask out area's that you dont want affected with masking tape!..

Thanks very much for help guys, I may well upload a pic later

cheers, chris

Ibanez20th
09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
congragulations. Glad everything worked out. I"m about to refinish my les paul (had to do major repairs on the neck)

I didn't think about turtle wax oh. That seems briliant (although I'll probably be fine with just a sanded finish)

synth002
09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
congragulations. Glad everything worked out. I"m about to refinish my les paul (had to do major repairs on the neck)

I didn't think about turtle wax oh. That seems briliant (although I'll probably be fine with just a sanded finish)

LoL well good luck man, im giving mine a going over changing all the strings got the old linseed old out and my trusty guitar cleaing toothbrush for those hard to reach areas wooo lol..

freepatriot
09-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Cool, I have to admit I don't know if I feel good about taking sandpaper to the neck

IF you are going to do this, use steel wool, not sandpaper. It will knock the gloss off without trashing it too much.

...but I hope you don't do it :D

garrett7
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
pool players put baby powder on there hands to make them slide... maybe that will work for you?

synth002
09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
People, read the post! Ive already sanded down the neck just enough to take off the shine but with out going through to the wood, its like a cherry coloured satin finish, it totally sorted the problem 100%!! and looks professional too!

Jackolas
09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey ts... your band is ****ing good and you rule as well. :D

synth002
09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey ts... your band is ****ing good and you rule as well. :D

Im not sure if ur taking the piss of being serious but yeh thanks man! lol

zeppelinpage4
09-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I've had my Epi LP for over a year now and it has that problem. The neck has got this weird sticky residue layer that comes off when wiped or play alot but always comes back...

synth002
09-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I've had my Epi LP for over a year now and it has that problem. The neck has got this weird sticky residue layer that comes off when wiped or play alot but always comes back...

Read the thread man, I managed to fix mine easily and the differnce it has made is HUGE.. as long as you use super fine sandpaper (for finishing) and sand the neck just enought to take out the shine (you dont need to go down to bare wood). Use masking tape to cover the area's where you want to sand up to on the neck and you'll have a professional looking satin finish neck.. GO FOR IT!

Let us know if you do :)

zeppelinpage4
09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I might but i'm not too sure about going at the neck with sandpaper, does the finish get roughed up and scratched?
Or does the neck look nice and clean after sanding?

I like the idea of it, but first I want to see if it's the finish or some other gunk that collects on my guitar. Cause it's on my unfinished Squier and acoustic neck as well.

fretboarddragon
09-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Glad it worked for you man!! I was gonna suggest something else, too:
For those who fear sanding their necks, find something called Tone Finger Ease. It comes in a spray bottle. It's supposed to make your strings slick but use it on the back of the neck too. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!! You spray it on and buff it a little and it's slicker than snot on a doorknob!!

synth002
09-22-2007, 07:50 PM
I might but i'm not too sure about going at the neck with sandpaper, does the finish get roughed up and scratched?
Or does the neck look nice and clean after sanding?

I like the idea of it, but first I want to see if it's the finish or some other gunk that collects on my guitar. Cause it's on my unfinished Squier and acoustic neck as well.

As long as you use a "finishing" grade of sandpaper you'll be fine, I dont have any marks of my neck.. when you first do it - it does look like its scratched but then once you finish, wipe the down neck and buff up well it using car wax it looks pro. Will upload a pic for you 2moz dude..

ALSO ..unrealated... I just got back from battle of the bands.. WE ****ING WON woooooo!!! lol just the final go lol.. not that it really means much in the grand scale of things lol

tubab0y
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Nice job. And I've seen 12000 grit micromesh before.

STABxYOU
09-25-2007, 02:26 AM
I sanded the neck on my Jay Turser SG clone with high grit (not sure exactly what, it was sitting in my model building drawer) sandpaper, then polished it with furniture polish. It feels like sex.

ac stratocaster
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
hey, i have a westfield e2000 (only first guitar not main guitar) and hate the finished neck, does any one have any tips for sanding it down and waxing it ect?

Musicman_91
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Is it really safe? Ive got a les paul with the same problem...Wich is the best method?