The Importance of Being Elitist.

PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Being Elitist.

Firenze
09-22-2007, 03:02 AM
"Hey, you!"
"Huh?"
"Yeah, I'm talkin' to you."
"Waddya want?"
"What kinda music you into?"
"Death Metal, mostly. You know, Slipknot, System of a Down, Jimmy Eat World. The usual."
"That's not Metal, dick."
*Beating Proceeds*

So, we all know these kinds of people. Hell, half the people reading this right now are probably elitists in some way or another. Hell, even I'm an elitist to some extent.

So, you may find yourself asking, "why, oh why dear lord, do these egotistical, idiotic miscreants feel the need to pester us so often with their shenanigans?" I think I may have come up with a conclusion as to why Metal heads are such elitist people, whereas you may find others, generally more accepting. Let's begin with a few examples, shall we?

Let's take an excerpt from my life, if you please. I'm sitting in a car with my girlfriend and a friend of hers. I put in my Cowboys From Hell CD, pop back to Track 11, sit back, and enjoy The Sleep. Now, of course, if this were a car that, say, I was not the owner of, I'd be forced to listen to the likes of Lil' Jon, Lil' B, Lil' G, 8 Ball and da Krazy Qs, JJ, BB, and HunkoCorn, Fitty, Big J, Lil' JGE, Double EZ, Triple EZ, Quadruple EZ n da lil EZ'Z. You get the point. So, to continue, alright, I admit. The heavy bit at the beginning of The Sleep is a little vulgar and rough to get used to, and requires a certain acquired taste from Metal. But, for the love of god, I do not think I'm alone in saying that the nice, acoustic intro to that song is sweet and melodic to the ear, am I? I certainly don't think it was so bad as to constitute for my girlfriend's friend to feel the need to clutch my shoulder and scream, "TURN IT OFF, I'M DYING!" I mean, hell, when I'm in your car, I don't bitch, bitch. What is this little event supposed to prove? Merely the fact that, from my experience as a Metal head, we usually get more crap from the "trendy" kids than we give them.

Carrying on. Let's look at this little tidbit. I'm sitting in my Desktop Publishing class, minding my own business, when...lo and behold! Another friend of my girlfriend's passes by. My god, I wasn't even listening to Metal! I was listening to freaking BUFFALO by Stump! And what does she go and say? "God, Ramzi, I can't believe you listen to this! It's just noise! There's no music!" Well. There are instruments, and singing. Clearly, I am misguided as to what the definition of, "music" is. So I proceeded to explain to her that certain songs are written for certain purposes, and she goes, "but you can't dance to it..." Frustrated, I shook my head and focused on my computer again. The point of this? Again, that while I, as a Metal head elitist, will try to explain something to someone, even though they just want to be thick headed and stubborn about it.

I understand, of course, that I'm not providing solid, concrete fact. I am, however, providing experiences from myself, being the person that I am, and taking notice of other Metal heads around me in similar and different environments. Another point is that we are usually more open-minded, since we like to listen to what sounds good. Think I'm wrong? Why does anybody bother listening to Arch Enemy? I can make a guess, randomly, right now, that more people would vote that they like Michael Amott's parts in songs than Angela Gossow. You know why? Because he provides a melodic background to her vulgar singing. Why can't most people WAIT until Floods is about to end, just at that, what is it, 50 seconds where Dime plays the sweetest sounding outro I've ever been privileged to hear? Against a backdrop of the pitter-patter of rain, it comes together nicely. Or we could take guitar harmonies, say, Battery, the intro. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't enjoyed the hell out of that. There is, of course, the vulgar, brutal Metal that people enjoy, yet again, then enjoyment of that type of music pertains to the person themselves, and their acquired musical tastes. Again, this is simply stating that some enjoy this vulgar music; there is no mention of me ever walking up to someone that I know and saying, "Hey! Hey you! Come here and listen to some 'Blood Fire Death' by Bathory. It's a lot better than whatever you listen to!" The same would apply to Metal heads all over the world.

Then, of course, there is the other branch of trendy kids. The Panic! At the Disco kids. The "Simple Plan aren't that bad..." kids. All the future K-Feds and Lindsay Lohans of the world. Well, I'll admit. Funeral For a Friend is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I am utterly BEWILDERED at how parents and teachers will say that Heavy Metal is the biggest cause of teen suicide, when most wrist-slashers I know (sadly, I know a few) are sad, "like those guys on MTV that keep losing all their girlfriends!"

Again, I'm not meaning to offend anyone, this is just my opinion of why Metal heads are elitists...most of the time.

Moving on back to my point. Most of the time, Metal doesn't ask you to kill yourself, or kill other people, and it is rarely ever about superficial topics. Most Metal is cathartic in nature, in that it allows you to relate, and helps you feel.

Now, with emo/post-hardcore/pop-punk etc...I can understand why the kids could "sort of" relate to that. However, I find it hard to really, "relate" to, "I'll letcha lick da lolly pop! Hey!" When you're feeling blue, and whatnot. And, as most people I've asked claim that, "the beat is always good to dance to." (direct quote from the ex) then why are they bothering me about my music? I'm not preaching it to them, am I? I'm minding my own business. It's them that keep bugging me about listening to "music that doesn't suck" etc...When, from all of what I know, they just want something to dance to!

Thus, I had come to make my conclusion, that Metal heads (not to mention other "rockers" who are also just as elitist, Metal heads are merely more open about it.) are elitist due to the fact that we receive so much crap from others for our taste in music, that we have just grown to become defiant, and to camp our ground. As Metal heads, we are a dying breed. We don't need our music pushed over by more people than it already is being pushed by, and we don't need to take the crap we take about listening to vulgar sounding music. Metal heads are people who take the time and consideration to listen to music, not only Metal, but anything we would think we would like. Believe me, I can say for a fact that nobody just rolled out of bed one morning and chilled to Kreator. It's usually an acquired taste, after listening to countless bands from a single sub-genre. And believe me, as any other Metal head will tell you. We don't do it for the glory, because we usually get disrespected anyway. We don't do it to be mean, there's more of them then there is of us. We do it for the music. We defend our Amon Amarths and our Kreators and Slayers and Bloodbaths and our Savatages and our Dimmu Borgirs and yes, even our Metallicas and Panteras, because we love this music for no other purpose, and we don't take crap from other people, ergo, we are dicks about our music.

And THAT is why I believe that Metal heads are "elitist pricks."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alright guys, this is the revised and edited copy of an article I wrote in The Pit. I'm planning on putting it in the Junkyard, or the Music columns. Any recommendations? Anything I should do to improve the article?

Also, kindly take notice of the fact that it is a personal, semi-formal essay. I'm not claiming any of this as fact, just as opinion.

Cheers.

-Ramzi

Keyphur
09-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Woah... Deja Vu

Edit: and yea id say trought in the Junk yard. its and awsome thread, i have no suggestion... Rock on dude \m/ \m/
|| ||
\\ O //
||
//\\... Damn im bored

edit2: well **** that f'ed up my pic

Sean-Man
09-22-2007, 03:10 AM
wow, your so right

merabharatmahan
09-22-2007, 03:23 AM
agree man...

Quantonyne
i would have to agree with you on everything you said...

i am a metalhead elitist asshole.

but your right...i am because i have to defend myself on why i listen to grindcore and deathcore...granted do i hate grindcore and deathcore.....yes and no. its weird...

but its the people telling me that power metal is lame because they talk about dragons and battle....(which it is very corny) but i still love it.

plus...one thing i have noticed about metalhead...they can cross metal genres and enjoy all of it...

i go from Amon Amarth to Gamma Ray to Bathory to Led Zep to Nile to Rush to 3 Inches of Blood to Lamb of God. its all metal to me and its all good

edit:: i do realize that led zep and rush are not metal by todays standards but they helped make metal what it is today

Smokey Amp
The Sleep is probably my favourite track on CFH.

As for your thread-come-article:

It's not really elitism, though; it's just mainstreamism.

Yes, I made up a word.

Sean-Man
09-22-2007, 03:32 AM
i would have to agree with you on everything you said...

but your right...i am because i have to defend myself on why i listen to grindcore and deathcore...granted do i hate grindcore and deathcore.....yes and no. its weird...

but its the people telling me that power metal is lame because they talk about dragons and battle....(which it is very corny) but i still love it.

plus...one thing i have noticed about metalhead...they can cross metal genres and enjoy all of it...

i go from Amon Amarth to Gamma Ray to Bathory to Led Zep to Nile to Rush to 3 Inches of Blood to Lamb of God. its all metal to me and its all good

edit:: i do realize that led zep and rush are not metal by todays standards but they helped make metal what it is today
dude 3 inches is awesome

z4twenny
ya know when someone gives me **** for my taste in music you know what i say? "grow up b!tch" and leave it at that. either that or simply point out the fact that they know nothing about music other than what they hear on the radio (ie they're not a musician, i am, ergo i almost assuredly have more firsthand knowledge of the artform than they do) if someone wants to be elitist even to me and tell me some metal band i like isn't metal or laugh or whatever then thats fine. just shows that they're an a$$hat

Firenze
The Sleep is probably my favourite track on CFH.

As for your thread-come-article:

It's not really elitism, though; it's just mainstreamism.

Yes, I made up a word.

Haha, I get what you mean actually, but my point was to explain why] they come off as elitists, as those who push the music aside later come back to complain when I respond with why I like my music.

Cheers for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

revan1013
09-22-2007, 03:44 AM
I think you pointed out some awesome reasons why we listen to metal, and made great points about our situation in the world.

I think however, that a HUGE problem is the section of the metal community that feels the need to say "oh THAT band... they're not ****ing metal man!".

It's intra-metal elitism that is a big problem too. Nu Metal (even if that label doesn't mean anything) is still metal. Metalcore (see a trend? the word metal maybe) is still a form of heavy metal. It doesn't need to be BRUTAL or KVLT to be metal.

Firenze
09-22-2007, 03:53 AM
I think you pointed out some awesome reasons why we listen to metal, and made great points about our situation in the world.

I think however, that a HUGE problem is the section of the metal community that feels the need to say "oh THAT band... they're not ****ing metal man!".

It's intra-metal elitism that is a big problem too. Nu Metal (even if that label doesn't mean anything) is still metal. Metalcore (see a trend? the word metal maybe) is still a form of heavy metal. It doesn't need to be BRUTAL or KVLT to be metal.

You make a good point. Mainly, what it is is the way undead bunny said it. It's all categorization. I made that point with the little dialogue at the beginning of the piece, when I specified "Death Metal" with those bands.

Calling them Metal, I'm fine with. Usually people say "Nu Metal" or "Metalcore" but if they say "Metal" it's all good. I get irritated when someone says stuff like "Lamb of God are an amazing thrash metal band, man!"

Cause I mean, if you're gonna categorize, at least do it right, dammit, or just don't do it at all. And that's not even elitism, that's just like pointing out an accepted fact that LoG are just not Thrash metal. Simple as that.

Second Rate
09-22-2007, 03:58 AM
I agree with you........ i believe metal fans come off as being elitist because of the bull**** we get from fans of other genres of music. Including flak from fans of so called mainstream "metal." I can't begin to tell you how much bull**** i used to get from nu metal fans because i happen to favor groups like Cynic, Death, and Opeth in the time before those bands were "in fashion" (if you wanna call it that).

and to revan1013, i think the problem many followers of traditional metal have with nu metal is that it has no direct link, sound wise, with traditional heavy metal. All other sub genres..... no matter how brutal or technical they get still have at least some element of the sound set forth by Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

Aaron_C
09-22-2007, 04:17 AM

The only band there that would even be considered elitist metal is Amon Amarth, the rest of the bands contradict your self proclaimed "elitism".

BigFatSandwich
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
having other people bash the music you listen to is not an excuse to be an elitist asshole. just because you listen to Bloodkill or Deadbodylust or whatever other death kill metal grind band, that doesn't give you the right to talk down to people who listen to atreyu, avenged sevenfold, and other "fake" metal bands.

and where do you get off making fun of panic at the disco and simple plan?

it sounds like you've become exactly what you spent that entire post bitching about. people talk **** about the music I listen to ALL the time. you know what the difference between you and me is, though? I don't care. I really do not care. I'm always up for a friendly debate, but that's about all. if someone doesn't care for what I listen to, I could not care less. I'm not in a popularity contest.

and furthermore, next time a friend of a girlfriend tells you to turn the music off in the car YOU'RE driving, don't get offended... tell her you're the one driving and she can either get out and walk or shut the **** up and listen to whatever the **** you want to listen to in YOUR goddamn car.

and then taze her, bro.

</vent>

Firenze
09-22-2007, 10:02 AM
You've got it wrong, man. As I said in the article, I'm not meaning to diss anyone per se. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not beefing with people categorizing music in the right way, it's in the wrong way that really gets to me. I'm not really into being elitist, but when I get into an argument, especially about something I am as passionate about as music, I don't like people disrespecting the music I listen to, as they are in turn disrespecting something I am passionate about that reflects on me. That's when I feel the need to become elitist and defensive. As I said, I never preach, I'm the one being preached to.

Now me, personally, I don't like scene kids. If you listen to a band for the sake of the music, that's all good with me. But if you listen to a band for the sake of being, "in," that doesn't sit right with me at all. The only mockery I really made was of mis-categorization of bands and genres.

And yeah, I think you're right. If she bitches again (which she will do) I'm just gonna tell her to shut up or get out.

BigFatSandwich
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
You've got it wrong, man. As I said in the article, I'm not meaning to diss anyone per se. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not beefing with people categorizing music in the right way, it's in the wrong way that really gets to me. I'm not really into being elitist, but when I get into an argument, especially about something I am as passionate about as music, I don't like people disrespecting the music I listen to, as they are in turn disrespecting something I am passionate about that reflects on me. That's when I feel the need to become elitist and defensive. As I said, I never preach, I'm the one being preached to.

Now me, personally, I don't like scene kids. If you listen to a band for the sake of the music, that's all good with me. But if you listen to a band for the sake of being, "in," that doesn't sit right with me at all. The only mockery I really made was of mis-categorization of bands and genres.

And yeah, I think you're right. If she bitches again (which she will do) I'm just gonna tell her to shut up or get out.
don't let it get to you when someone doesn't understand the music you listen to. You're not going to win the argument, so what's the point? Trust me, you're not going to argue someone into liking obscure metal. If the music really is that great, then it's their loss. A debate amongst friends is fine... but there's really no point in getting bent out of shape about someone saying they can't dance to the music you listen to.

I find myself defending hip-hop music all the time... but I'll only take it so far before I just say, "ok, I give up. think what you want"

again, just because you like something not a lot of other people like, doesn't mean you have to be an elitist.

Firenze
09-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Most people don't see it that way though. Most of the time I just give up, but sometimes I just have to argue. I guess that's the way some people would feel though, hence the entire point of this article.

I do get what you mean, though, and it's a valid point.

FNAFJ
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah, I feel that too...

its all these chavy chavs listening to their dance, rave music... and I have given it a change.. and all I can say is that it is a disgrace to music... I'll admit that 1 or 2 songs are 'alright' but on the whole, it is simply a beat... nothing else...not even real instruments...

And what exacly do you go to watch when seeing one of these... bands? djs or whatevers live... someone pressing play on windows media player?...
cos thats the only way you could get that sound.. unless you go to watch one guy press the same keys on a keyboard over and over again with some meaningless lyrics...

it annoys me alot lol =]

no offence to anyone, but chavs just ruin everything for peopel, especially in my area lol =P

Firenze
09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Does anybody know how long it takes for an article to be processed, etc...?

Or does it vary depending on the amount being pushed through?

Ramblin'_Man
09-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I can definately understand what you're saying. Though a lot kids now do really just want something to dance to, which is cool I never put on my normal listening music at a party i put in rap or some kind of techno, which is fun. I'm no metalhead at all, i havent listened to metal since 7th-8th grade(im a senior in hs now) and even when i see kids listening to their metal on their headphones so loud i can hear every riff and drum beat across the room i dont even usually say anything. But i do understand, because i get a lot of crap(from non musiscian type people) about my blues, jazz, jam bands, world music or w/e i may be listening to.
I say just keep listening to what you want and when they say something tell them to **** off and that you dont tell them what to listen to. Though if youre at a party for the love of god dont put metal on haha

To FNAFJ have you ever DJed at a club/rave? if not stfu please I am friends with a lot of the DJs in the Chicago clube scene and know some club owners and DJing a GOOD cd is not easy. And also they usually dont say they are musicians or claim that they play instruments or anything. That whole scene isnt about changing the world or music, but having a good time, partying, making enjoyable music, drugs and girls. Also, why do you care if they like it? it does have good beats and is easy to dance and have a good time to.

eggo_boi_15
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
dude, you totally new what youre on about.

ROCK ON FOREVER!

btw, im an allrounded person musically.i like every type of music apart from rap, hip hop and pop. i like everythin else including stuff like classical music, its great :D

but my main intrest is metal and im also an 'elitist prick' because of grownup with ppl constantly rippin into me cos of my musical tastes. it anoys me soo much.!!

:headbang:METAL FOR THE MASSESS:headbang: