Fender Hot Rod Deluxe VS Rivera Pubster 25

PDA

View Full Version : Fender Hot Rod Deluxe VS Rivera Pubster 25

shooky
09-22-2007, 05:34 AM
hi, im looking for ma first tube amp.
i mainly play RHCP stuff from ALL their eras, im talking from their first ever album all the way to SA.so, i will need very good cleans, very good funky type cleans, and a good OD wont do me harm.i currently own a DS-1 and i am planning on getting a big muff pi NYC, and a TS-808/9 with ma new amp.

ok, out of the above, what do you reckon will leave me most satisfyed?
a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?
or a Rivera Pubster 25 watt?

i will gig small places with it, nothing too shabby or big.70 people max with no PA.

feel free to recomend anything else. :)

Regards, Shooky.

shookEDIT: Will a fender blues junior be ok for really small gigs?(mind RHCP playing style)

thankies

Grönis
09-22-2007, 05:41 AM
The Fender should be loud enough, it's got beautiful cleans, but a pretty weak OD.

Don't know nothing about the riviera though.

Maybe you should try out a Traynor YCV-40, it has got some fender-ish cleans, but a bit different, also it's got a much better OD channel than the Deluxe.

Thats my view on it anyway.

:peace:

kyrreca
09-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I haven't tried the Pubster, but it's supposed to have good cleans, my Rivera sure has. :) Rivera isn't the most well-known manufacturer, but they make some high-quality models. I have tried the Hotrod, can't say I was to fond of it. The cleans were ok, but the OD wasn't all that in my opinion.

Anyway you should bring your guitar to a guitar store, and ask to try them both (and maybe some other amps too).

slatsmania
09-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Between the two, I'd say the Hot Rod.

I think you should look around for a used DeVille model (60W) of either the Hot Rod or Blues. Maybe even look for a used Twin. If you want great cleans at gigging volumes, you'll want the extra wattage. The Rivera's a great amp, but I'd be concerned about the cleans because of it's size.

The Ampeg Superjet or Reverberocket would also be an excellent choice.

Joey-Tribiani
09-22-2007, 07:50 AM
dude, i swear i asked the exsact same question like 2 weeks ago :eek:

kyrreca
09-22-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree with the person above concerning used gear. You can make a good deal, and end up with a much better amp than if you purchase one from a store. It's also true that the 25W Pubster might not stay very clean if you have to push it live. There is a 45W version, I believe, which would be better (but also more expensive).

R_H_C_P
09-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Well, John's always used Marshalls, so something like a JTM45 combo would be great, but they're a bit pricy in America.

I'm guessing the Riviera will be higher quality, go and try one and see what you think of it.

shooky
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
thanks for replys!:D

shooky
09-28-2007, 02:59 AM
bump.
anyone else have an input on what i should do?

Dave_Mc
09-28-2007, 07:53 AM
i'd definitely go the rivera, pwns the HRD if you ask me. but as slats says, size might be the problem if you need truly pristine cleans. how much is the 45 watt model? if it's not too much more, might be worth considering.

traynor ycv40 might also be worth a look. i'd probably prefer the rivera though.

redneck516
09-28-2007, 11:06 AM
hot rod