Comeback Kid

PDA

View Full Version : Comeback Kid

vayn23
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi, just got into hardcore (or metalcore, whatever). I really like Comeback kid (they aren't christian btw) and scarlet (now dead :( ). Could anyone recomend some good metalcore like them. No deathcore or authentic hardcore. And yes, I did a search. Thanks!

guitarwannabe16
09-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Use this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652292&highlight=Metalcore+recommendation+thread

/Close this

jparks
09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
hmmm.... lets see here... ahhh -1

guitarwannabe16
09-26-2007, 02:24 PM
hmmm.... lets see here... ahhh -1
Fail

To TS, use that thread and check out Botch in the meantime if you like Scarlet

zayG
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
err...

Comeback Kid IS authentic hardcore, I don't see how you could think they were metalcore at all :\

Cedence
09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
If you like Comeback Kid, give these a listen:

Bane
Champion
Have Heart
Final Fight
Life Long Tragedy

And for the record, Comeback Kid is a hardcore band.

vayn23
09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
um...thanks for the actual replies lol. And what I meant was Minor Threat and Comeback kid don't sound terribly similar to me :\

edit: sorry for not seeing the metalcore thread lol. self -1

the boogieman
09-27-2007, 12:07 AM
If you like Comeback Kid, give these a listen:

Bane
Champion
Have Heart
Final Fight
Life Long Tragedy

And for the record, Comeback Kid is a hardcore band.

that is an excellent list of bands

+1

fridge_raider
09-27-2007, 04:03 AM
um...thanks for the actual replies lol. And what I meant was Minor Threat and Comeback kid don't sound terribly similar to me :\

edit: sorry for not seeing the metalcore thread lol. self -1

That's because Minor Threat are over 20 years old. They are both hardcore though.

vayn23
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Ah, I just figured that once post-hardcore hit people just misused the word hardcore. Lol. Thanks for the help/schooling :D

af_the_fragile
09-27-2007, 06:17 PM
There is a big difference between hardcore and metalcore.

Hardcore is more than just a music genre, its a lifestyle. Its anti-establishment, its about self preservation, and focuses on serious political and social issues. A lot of heart goes into hardcore music.

Metalcore is just a music genre. Its usually bands that aren't good enough to play trash and don't have the attitude and lifestyle of hardcore. They play music that appeals to a more mainstream audience...

Comeback Kid is hardcore. Don't confuse them with metalcore.. there's a big difference!!

And for some recommendation,
If you like Comeback Kid, give a listen to:

With Honor (awesome hardcore band and really similar to Comeback Kid)
Hatebreed
Stick to Your Guns
Modern Life is War

They're hardcore and you might like them too...

waldorphPRS41
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Listen to Move Ahead.

Btw they were a Christian band. I've read reviews with them in HM magazine, a christian music magazine.This was right after Wake The Dead came out with their old vocalist but I'm pretty sure they still are.

fridge_raider
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Hardcore is more than just a music genre, its a lifestyle. Its anti-establishment, its about self preservation, and focuses on serious political and social issues. A lot of heart goes into hardcore music.

Metalcore is just a music genre. Its usually bands that aren't good enough to play trash and don't have the attitude and lifestyle of hardcore. They play music that appeals to a more mainstream audience...

Comeback Kid is hardcore. Don't confuse them with metalcore.. there's a big difference!!

Hatebreed
Stick to Your Guns
Modern Life is War

Can't really say I agree with much of this. Whilst hardcore could be interpreted as a lifestyle, you can't really say that it isn't a music genre, in my opinion.

Also, metalcore is made for the mainstream? Are Shai Hulud really what the mainstream would listen to? Botch???

Fair enough with the watered-down ones such as Trivium, Bullet et al, but you get bands like that in any genre.

the boogieman
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Listen to Move Ahead.

Btw they were a Christian band. I've read reviews with them in HM magazine, a christian music magazine.This was right after Wake The Dead came out with their old vocalist but I'm pretty sure they still are.

they are signed(or used to be) to a label that was made up mainly of christian bands

i dont think they are or were a christian band

correct me if im wrong, please

waldorphPRS41
09-27-2007, 07:00 PM
they are signed(or used to be) to a label that was made up mainly of christian bands

i dont think they are or were a christian band

correct me if im wrong, please
They were on the Cover of HM more than once, and their cds would be throughout the issues and they did big stories on them. I would be almost 100% positive that they used to be a Christian band, at least, if they aren't still now.

Cedence
09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Listen to Move Ahead.

+34534675

The Dead Walk
09-27-2007, 10:04 PM

Hatebreed
Stick to Your Guns
Modern Life is War

Remove yourself from the www.

the boogieman
09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
i wouldnt put it past them if they were a christian band

a lot of religion connotations can be found in their older stuff

vayn23
09-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Only 2 members of the band are even christian :\
And thanks for all the bands

kryptonite22
09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
theres a difference between personally being a christian and IN a band, and being an actual christian band.

id definitely agree with bands like champion, have heart, bane, and with honor (although only half of 'this is our revenge' remains exciting, so maybe seek out something different to that). id also throw this is hell into the ring.

recklessnick
09-29-2007, 11:58 PM
shouldnt comeback kid be under the punk forum

guitarwannabe16
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
No, because they're modern hardcore punk.

recklessnick
09-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Listen to Move Ahead.

they are christians. but they are not a christian band because they dont preach like underoath. figure four is a christian band

waldorphPRS41
09-30-2007, 03:14 AM
they are christians. but they are not a christian band because they dont preach like underoath. figure four is a christian band
Yeah I know, some of the members of Comeback Kid came from Figure Four didn't they?

casualtyvampire
09-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Yeah I know, some of the members of Comeback Kid came from Figure Four didn't they?

andrew and jeremy.

recklessnick
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
they are just christians but they dont sing about christianity or preach about it in their songs at all. so they are most definately NOT a christian band.

and comeback kid is a hardcore punk band, not metalcore. stick to your guns is metalcore with alot of hardcore influences

recklessnick
12-28-2007, 12:54 PM
damn. my bad. lock this

xKurtx
12-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Just to set the record straight I remember reading an old interview with them (with the original lineup sans bass player) that some of the members have a relationship with God but they are not a christian band.

They put out one record on Facedown and that was probably more related to the members of Figure Four tag rather than anything in the actual lyrics.

HairyRice
12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Try Verse, This is Hell, Down to Nothing, Final Fight, Triple Threat, Just Say Go, Set it Straight, Sinking Ships, Have Heart, WIth Honor, etc.

recklessnick
12-30-2007, 02:32 AM
^ comeback kid are better than all of them. i dont like hardcore bands whose songs all dont have a memorable guitar riff or a chorus. its just verses and verses going on and on

aggiefan33
12-30-2007, 02:34 AM
^ comeback kid are better than all of them. i dont like hardcore bands whose songs all dont have a memorable guitar riff or a chorus. its just verses and verses going on and on
EPIC FAIL

keep trying

guitarwannabe16
12-30-2007, 03:32 AM
Try any one of those bands are better than Comeback kid.

recklessnick
12-30-2007, 03:47 AM
fail? i fail? how can i fail when that is my opinion and its right to me. YOU fail.
let me correct myself. i prefer comeback kid better than any of those bands. they are more melodic to me and their songs dont actually all sound the same.

Cedence
12-30-2007, 10:17 AM
right, because every Final Fight song sounds exactly the same

I'm guessing you've listen to maybe one of those bands.

SadistNation
12-30-2007, 11:04 AM
....i love final fight

recklessnick
12-30-2007, 12:40 PM
i love life long tragedy, this is hell and champion.

songs by verse, have heart, give up the ghost, etc. really sound very alike

Craigo
12-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Second lawls@recklessnick.

Wanna go for the third epic three?

recklessnick
12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
its just my opinion man. i dont have to like those bands just because you guys tell me they're good

andyq777
12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
its just my opinion man. i dont have to like those bands just because you guys tell me they're good

its not your opinion, its the stupid reasoning behide it that bothers us

zayG
12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
cause have heart doesn't have any memorable choruses

or any of those bands don't have anything memorable for that matter

recklessnick
12-31-2007, 01:04 AM
no. its just that i noticed. that alot of those songs are just like verse - verse - verse - breakdown - fin. if there are songs by them that are nice and catchy pls let me know, seriously. because they are bands i would like

VIRUSDETECTED
12-31-2007, 03:19 AM
no. its just that i noticed. that alot of those songs are just like verse - verse - verse - breakdown - fin. if there are songs by them that are nice and catchy pls let me know, seriously. because they are bands i would like

Lifetime.

recklessnick
12-31-2007, 06:05 AM
lifetime sound nothing like final fight, life long tragedy, verse, etc.
lifetime is like a poppier version of kid dynamite, imo.

xKurtx
01-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Wrong. Turn it Around is better than anything Have Heart has ever done.

recklessnick
01-01-2008, 02:59 AM
^thank you very very much. for what its worth, i'd add in wake the dead

Craigo
01-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Wake The Dead = Turn It Around = The Things We Carry

I ain't putting any in front of each other, all are class.

BassNewbie
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
cause have heart doesn't have any memorable choruses

the words in unbreakable stick in my head everywhere i go

Try Verse, This is Hell, Down to Nothing, Final Fight, Triple Threat, Just Say Go, Set it Straight, Sinking Ships, Have Heart, WIth Honor, etc.

sinking ships have some epic sing alongs

honestly i dont think they sound alike anymore than comeback kid

guitarwannabe16
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Wrong. Turn it Around is better than anything Have Heart has ever done.
eh, debatable, but I respect your opinion around here so I wont argue.

SealCubMassacre
01-01-2008, 04:12 PM
eh, debatable, but I respect your opinion around here so I wont argue.

So you can argue with noobs but not with regulars? I didn't get that memo.

:rolleyes:

xKurtx
01-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm not knocking any of those bands by any means, and honestly Have Heart is probably better than CBKs Broadcasting...that album is horrible. But at the same time if Turn it Around hadn't come out, I don't think some of those bands would sound the same. The demos for that album started surfacing in 2002 and I think they have influenced a hell of a lot bands since then.

guitarwannabe16
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
So you can argue with noobs but not with regulars? I didn't get that memo.

:rolleyes:
Not at all, I generally dont pick fights with people who know what they're talking about. If a 'noob' made an intelligent statement regarding a band, I would compliment or agree with him, or disagree respectfully. Most regs around here just know alot about hardcore and everyone else generally makes uninteresting or just bad comments

I'm not knocking any of those bands by any means, and honestly Have Heart is probably better than CBKs Broadcasting...that album is horrible. But at the same time if Turn it Around hadn't come out, I don't think some of those bands would sound the same. The demos for that album started surfacing in 2002 and I think they have influenced a hell of a lot bands since then.
Thats what I thought you were saying, and I totally agree with that.

SealCubMassacre
01-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Not at all, I generally dont pick fights with people who know what they're talking about. If a 'noob' made an intelligent statement regarding a band, I would compliment or agree with him, or disagree respectfully. Most regs around here just know alot about hardcore and everyone else generally makes uninteresting or just bad comments

Thats what I thought you were saying, and I totally agree with that.

I'll let you off then :p:

I bought Wake the Dead a while ago on impulse and I still listen to it now and again. Pretty cool.

dinosaurbrocore
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
That album's quite enjoyable.

recklessnick
01-02-2008, 04:56 AM
cos its the best ever

Craigo
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
There's a good reason why I didn't put Broadcasting up with Wake The Dead and Turn It Around :p:

But I couldn't agree with this post more.

recklessnick
01-03-2008, 06:44 AM
i thought broadcasting was also good, it just lacked speed and is something different from the older cbk albums

dinosaurbrocore
01-03-2008, 07:44 AM
I like Broadcasting tbh. It's a bit heavier, and not as good as the old stuff, but it's one of my favorite albums from the past year.

Craigo
01-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Broadcasting - too patchy (good here, bad there). Even during songs. Even the good bits don't make up for the bad bits though, they aren't good enough to do that.

clax7on
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Broadcasting - too patchy (good here, bad there). Even during songs. Even the good bits don't make up for the bad bits though, they aren't good enough to do that.

This is probably the best way to describe it.

Myself I can't stand the whiny singing parts, and the lyrics seem lack the power of older cbk.

morningdove2
01-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Have you ever listened to Down to Nothing?

Cedence
01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
There was one, maybe two good songs on Broadcasting. Defeated was a great song, first on the album. That song got me stoked for the album, then the second track (title track) came on, and my ears bled. Awful awful awful song

clax7on
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
There was one, maybe two good songs on Broadcasting. Defeated was a great song, first on the album. That song got me stoked for the album, then the second track (title track) came on, and my ears bled. Awful awful awful song

Eh Defeated isn't so great either..I was listening to it a bit today, and the only two I heard that I liked even a little bit are Give'r, and Come Around

recklessnick
01-04-2008, 04:51 AM
i like broadcasting..., defeated, come around and in case of fire

xKurtx
01-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Have you ever listened to Down to Nothing?

DTN is a fun straight edge band and I would take Save it for the Birds over Broadcasting, but that's about it.

LedZeppelin
01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Does the guy from Rise Against do guest vox on Our Distance, or am I delusional?

xKurtx
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it's Russ from Good Riddance/Only Crime

recklessnick
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
andrew doesnt have the stage presence and stamina and energy that scott had during their performance. you can see andrew constantly not being able to keep up with the speed of the singing thats why the singing sounds whinier and slower on the new record

Garden_Of_Light
01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah he's no scott :(.

broadcasting didn't quite match up to their first two album musically either.

clax7on
01-06-2008, 02:14 AM
Does anyone know if scott is doing anything musical these days?

recklessnick
01-07-2008, 04:08 AM
no idea. would be interested though

xKurtx
01-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Andrew's voice was perfect for Figure Four.