Eddie Van Halen- Overrated or Underrated?

PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Van Halen- Overrated or Underrated?

DigitalGuitar
09-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Many people have gotten upset when they saw
Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/) and Eddie Van Halen was number 70 on the list.

They say he was underrated and that he should of been higher, maybe even in the top ten. Others say the list is accurate and he is where he should be.

I lean toward the latter. I think Eddie Van Halen was good, but their are a lot of other guitarists that deserve a place higher than Eddie.

What Do you think?

zapatista89
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
rated equally

he wrote a new guiatr law, kudos

although alot his songs sucked

GuitarHero0715
god,
everybody should stop bitching about how much guitarists are better than eachother or how much they suck

the guitar is just a thing that makes noise that people happen to like
not some human made penis

(worst comparison ever)

strong_wizard
Top 10 is a bit of a stretch, he played well and he played fast, but he didn't really develop anything, or really have the talent of a lot of the guys that are on that list.

jhjps
09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
that list is b.s., slash isn't even on it, he should be top 10.

kidsthesedays
09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
god,
everybody should stop bitching about how much guitarists are better than eachother or how much they suck

the guitar is just a thing that makes noise that people happen to like
not some human made penis

(worst comparison ever)

haha yea...it was...

Greenday9999
09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
holy s*** cobain got 12th

srry had to get it out

zapatista89
09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
that list is b.s., slash isn't even on it, he should be top 10.

...........................you sir are blind

rory_rev
09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
17. Jack White of the White Stripes

:eek:

The_lizard_king
09-27-2007, 06:39 PM
gilmour should of been in the top 10 and so should jeff beck. and jack white shouldn't be in the top 20

Headbanger_1
eddie is fast, but he really only does tapping. everything else is pretty basic.

and yeah, i would like to see slash on there as well...

LiE_iN_SiLeNcE
Cobain got 12??!! and Vanhalen got 70? wtf is wrong with these people. I'm sorry, but i never really saw Kurt Cobain as a good guitar player. i have never seen anything that remotely impressed me.

ProphetikPsycho
09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
17 is definitely not a good spot for Jack White. He's good..but damn..17th? Whoever made that list must've ate paintchips when they were little or somethin

fleetingillness
09-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it's Rolling Stone. I think that should explain a lot of it. Considering only the fact that EVH inspired so many people, he should be higher.

Rating guitarists depends entirely on what kind of music you like though.

Cmajor87
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath :no:

96 Angus Young :confused:

led_zep_fan55
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
eddie is tho a great guitarist hes not the best. but he should be a little farther up, also stevie ray vaughn deserves to be where he is.

mack attack
09-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Slash isn't on there Angus Young is 96th and Kurt Cobain is 12th! My "idol" is probably Slash and to see him be beat out by some of the guiarists on that list is insane! Kurt is one of my favourites as well but I'd admit he doesn't deserve 12th, I'd say atleast 20th for him. And Angus Young, the writer of countless rock anthems is 96th? I agree with some of that list but for the most part its complete b.s

closertofreewil
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
That list is soooo bad. Jimi hendrix is HORRIBLE. Many great guitarist are'nt on there. Oh, and Angus is the worst guitarist in a professional band(which sucks)

mercedesisbenz
09-27-2007, 10:09 PM
If you'll take a look, Steve Vai isn't on that list, but Frank Zappa is. Steve Vai was listed on the program at Zappa shows as "Impossible Guitar Parts" or "Stunt Guitar". Which would lead me to believe that Frank Zappa openly saw Steve Vai as a better guitarist than himself. Thanks, Rolling Stone, for doing your research.

I also noticed that Kurt Cobain and Lou Reed are present on the list, who were both more songwriters than guitarist, while musicians such as Joe Satriani and John Scofield are absent.

Thank you, Rolling Stone magazine, for naming the first 100 guitarists you could think of.

uldhppi
09-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Rolling Stone mag has sucked for over 20 years. EVH is a very good guitar player, but I can't get too upset at his 70th place. A lot of younger players think he invented a style, and that's natural, but he didn't invent anything. Considering that a lot of the music he played was "candy-assed" pop-rock and the melodic content of many of his solos is non-existant he can occupy #70 and that's ok. Good guitar player, but not one of the best of all time.

closertofreewil
09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
If you'll take a look, Steve Vai isn't on that list, but Frank Zappa is. Steve Vai was listed on the program at Zappa shows as "Impossible Guitar Parts" or "Stunt Guitar". Which would lead me to believe that Frank Zappa openly saw Steve Vai as a better guitarist than himself. Thanks, Rolling Stone, for doing your research.

I also noticed that Kurt Cobain and Lou Reed are present on the list, who were both more songwriters than guitarist, while musicians such as Joe Satriani and John Scofield are absent.

Thank you, Rolling Stone magazine, for naming the first 100 guitarists you could think of.

Vai and Zappa tours are sooo awesome. Best shows ever.

Brickjp84
09-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Everyone knows that list is so far off. It's meaningless to me.

Mark Knopfler - 27th? Thats funny.
David Gilmour - 82nd? Nope sorry.

Kurt Cobain - 12th? Give me a break.

The whole problem is that there should not even be a list. You can't number them. Put them in tiers. Top tier, 2nd tier, etc.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Van Halen myself.

My top tier guitarists would include:

Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Warren Haynes, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, John Frusciante, Roy Buchanan, Jerry Garcia, Alex Lifeson, Peter Frampton

All guys that, in my opinion, mastered the art of playing guitar both technically and passionately

Thefallofman
09-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't listen to Rolling Stone. They're a terrible magazine and have been for a long time.

GraceKim
09-28-2007, 08:05 AM
The whole problem is that there should not even be a list. You can't number them. Good point. How can you rate them? By what criteria? Are the best those that can jump highest and run the fastest (or fret the quickest)? Or are the best those that have developed new techniques? Or are the best those who have been immitated the most? Or are the best those that can express an emotion and make the girl sitting next to you fall in love with you?

As for Eddie, he popularised two-handed tapping, tap harmonics and tap bending. During the 80s guitarists all over the country were trying to immitate him. He also has a patent registered under his name. You can't deny his BMF status.

shreddyboy
09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
the people who voted on that list are obviously not musicians!

DigitalGuitar
09-28-2007, 04:39 PM
You have to take into account that they are rating all genres of guitarists not just one.

They combine all their skills and see which one is better. One guitarist might be better at one thing than another, but that does not necessarily make them better the better guitarist. There are a million guitarists that are faster than Eric Clapton, but they certainly aren't better guitarists then him. The most well rounded guitarist is the best.

BrainDamage
09-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Steve Vai was listed on the program at Zappa shows as "Impossible Guitar Parts" or "Stunt Guitar" :p:

***CLOSED***

:)